Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default DIY Oil Change 190 Popular?

Just got a 2004 190 Popular which is based on the Chevy Express 3500.

I'm used to doing my own oil changes... but this is my first really big vehicle.

So will my 3-ton garage floor jack be adequate to raise the RV? Same question applies to my jack stands.

(Sorry for the newbie question but I searched and searched and could not find an answer.)
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Lightbulb

you won't even need a jack on the chev- leave it on all fours, you can raise the left side a bit with leveling blocks if you want.
just throw a pad down on the driveway by your driver door and reach in

the drain is 14mm (I think) and the filter is easy to reach

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Like Mike says - It might be easier to drive up on wood blocks or wood ramps for an oil change. I'm lucky that I can get under my van with all 4 wheels on the ground for a oil change. I don't use plastic ramps for the heavy van.

For other work, I use 3 ton stands rated to ANSI 2009 standards. I use an 8 ton rated bottle jack or a 2.5 floor jack. My floor jack is a bit weak for the job I think - it now has a slow leak. More info on rating standards in this post: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...amps-2474.html

The nice thing with stands is that you can do a good job greasing all the lube points with the weight off the front.

1997 - 2002 GM / Chevy vans could have 15 lube points and 2003 & newer could have 11 lube points. More info on that: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post16500
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you have a Roadtrek, you might find it too low to get under unless you are very "trim". The side pods and front skirting are quite low.

Drive on blocks are often the easiest for folks, but personally I prefer using floor jacks and stands, so the wheels hang free. Much easier for greasing, as you should have the wheels hanging to get grease into the ball joints, and you want to be able to turn them besides. 11 grease points, as Marko says is what is on our 07 190P. The one folks usually miss it the one in the near top side of the idler arm. On stands, I can get a lot of room underneath. You need 3 ton rated stands for sure, or more.

A 3 ton jack will lift either end of the Chevy, it is what I use. But, to do it the best, I use two of the jacks in the front because Chevy has removed the center of the crossmember as a jack point. This makes lifting one end at a time near impossible. I use a jack on each end of the crossmember, so they each get 1/2 the load, and the frame is stronger there besides. It works very well.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

I have 2 sets of 2x8 boards that I use for leveling blocks. 2 boards are about 2' long and the other 2 about 18" that way I can stack them and I drive onto them for oil changes
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote