Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do diesels really depreciate with mileage?

According to NADA...the National Automobiles Dealer Association...."mileage is NOT a factor" in consideration of value.....

It's based on the year, equipment and condition ... ONLY.....and maintenance records..

SO...in people's minds...is high mileage still really a thing??

And.. what is high mileage?? Cars typically get driven 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year...

WHY are there so many "low mileage" creampuff RVs out there? Could be that people don't drive as much because of the fuel consumption.... certainly that might be the case with gas guzzling Class A's... getting 4 to 6 MPG...... maybe the diesel pushers get 7 to 8...

Still...18 to 20 MPG on the Class B's are SWEET.... that's probably why you find more of them being driven with higher miles..

What's your opinion on all this???? I love the flexibility and fuel economy we have from the smaller coach and more efficient engine.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Mileage is a factor to consider for more than just the most typical reasons.

High mileage can mean lots of use of the house side of things. Waste valves, toilet seals, pump, A/C compressor, heating elements, flooring and seating wear & tear etc. Low mileage can mean the same if the previous owners lived semi or full time in the RV.

With high mileage on the vehicle side of things there can be more paint chips from rocks & road debris, worn out bushings etc. It could be an ex-rental.

You really need to know the history of the vehicle.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

How many times is this same thing going to come up?
Diesels age like any other engine, but that may or may not be reflected in the depreciation, as there are lots of people that equate diesels in cars, vans, light trucks, to be of the same "million mile" design of OTR trucks, which is simply not true. They are, IMO incorrectly, not worried about the mileage on a diesel because they think diesels last forever, when, IMO again, they should be depreciating at about the same rate as gas engines.

Nearly everyone we know has severely underestimated how much they would be able to use their RV, us included, so low miles is not surprising for any RV.

By the time most vehicles get to 150K miles, they are starting to cost more to keep going, especially if they are low miles per year. By year 15 any vehicle that sits outside, in most places, will be in much worse shape than one that lives inside, regardless of miles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Mileage is a factor to consider for more than just the most typical reasons.

High mileage can mean lots of use of the house side of things. Waste valves, toilet seals, pump, A/C compressor, heating elements, flooring and seating wear & tear etc. Low mileage can mean the same if the previous owners lived semi or full time in the RV.

With high mileage on the vehicle side of things there can be more paint chips from rocks & road debris, worn out bushings etc. It could be an ex-rental.

You really need to know the history of the vehicle.
I see that you have listed this feature...is that a WiFi extender???
How's this working for you???

We have a kinda weak signal with T-MOBILE...I was wondering if even getting a WiFi booster is really worth it?????

DD-WRT Repeater/Bridge for WIFI

I'm meticulous about keeping up with the maintenance for my vehicles..... can't afford to get stranded...

I suppose it's possible that the Mercedes Benz Sprinter will run longer than I expected ... might as well just use it and enjoy... can't take it with you or extend your own life.... it's not a maturing bond.....
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default OK..OK...I won't bring this up again

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Diesels age like any other engine, but that may or may not be reflected in the depreciation, as there are lots of people that equate diesels in cars, vans, light trucks, to be of the same "million mile" design of OTR trucks, which is simply not true. They are, IMO incorrectly, not worried about the mileage on a diesel because they think diesels last forever, when, IMO again, they should be depreciating at about the same rate as gas engines.

Nearly everyone we know has severely underestimated how much they would be able to use their RV, us included, so low miles is not surprising for any RV.

By the time most vehicles get to 150K miles, they are starting to cost more to keep going, especially if they are low miles per year. By year 15 any vehicle that sits outside, in most places, will be in much worse shape than one that lives inside, regardless of miles.
Apologies.... I won't revisit this ... I guess it all relates to RESALE value...... which I hope is better with the diesel.....
Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Silver Member

After trading/selling 4 diesel RVs I would say the NADA book is dead wrong about diesel mileage not a being a factor.
The first question I am always asked is .. How Many Miles Does it Have.

THE more it has the less it's worth.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default How often do you trade vehicles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
After trading/selling 4 diesel RVs I would say the NADA book is dead wrong about diesel mileage not a being a factor.
The first question I am always asked is .. How Many Miles Does it Have.

THE more it has the less it's worth.
Trading in vehicles...RVs, cars, anything..is very expensive... I usually keep my vehicles for 15 to 20 years...
It's the only way I know to get full value.....
Old 07-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I see that you have listed this feature...is that a WiFi extender???
How's this working for you???

We have a kinda weak signal with T-MOBILE...I was wondering if even getting a WiFi booster is really worth it?????

DD-WRT Repeater/Bridge for WIFI
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want better reception of weak campground WiFI signals? Do you have a WiFi base station in your vehicle and want better coverage around the campsite? or what? The best solution depends on your goal.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Not sure what I want is easily accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want better reception of weak campground WiFI signals? Do you have a WiFi base station in your vehicle and want better coverage around the campsite? or what? The best solution depends on your goal.
Aside from switching to Verizon... I'm trying to see if getting a WiFi booster or extender would improve my range for cellphone service in more remote areas.....

Seems like a fruitless idea to have a WiFi booster in my rig... would only work where the signal is strong....
Old 07-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Aside from switching to Verizon... I'm trying to see if getting a WiFi booster or extender would improve my range for cellphone service in more remote areas.....

Seems like a fruitless idea to have a WiFi booster in my rig... would only work where the signal is strong....
You may be confusing WiFi with cellular data. Two different things. Sounds like you are looking for better cellular data service.

Switching to Verizon is definitely the first step--far better coverage than T-mobile. It will cost you more, though.

Beyond that, you need a good antenna on your roof. There are two ways to do this:
1) A cell "booster" such as the WeBoost line of products. With these products, the outside antenna is connected to a device that attempts to improve the cell signal by amplifying it and rebroadcasting it within the van.
2) An external antenna attached to a "hotspot" such as the Verizon Jetpack. These take the cell signal from the outside antenna, convert it to WiFi, and transmit the WiFi signal inside your van. The best of these use an antenna technology called "MiMo".

My opinion (based on much experience) is that option #1 is total crap. MiMo is the way to go. Others vehemently disagree, but they are wrong.

This topic has been discussed at length, so there is no point in re-litigating the arguments here. Just search the site for "MiMo" or "weboost" and sip from the fire hose. That way you can read both sides of the argument.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Thank you.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You may be confusing WiFi with cellular data. Two different things. Sounds like you are looking for better cellular data service.

Switching to Verizon is definitely the first step--far better coverage than T-mobile. It will cost you more, though.

Beyond that, you need a good antenna on your roof. There are two ways to do this:
1) A cell "booster" such as the WeBoost line of products. With these products, the outside antenna is connected to a device that attempts to improve the cell signal by amplifying it and rebroadcasting it within the van.
2) An external antenna attached to a "hotspot" such as the Verizon Jetpack. These take the cell signal from the outside antenna, convert it to WiFi, and transmit the WiFi signal inside your van. The best of these use an antenna technology called "MiMo".

My opinion (based on much experience) is that option #1 is total crap. MiMo is the way to go. Others vehemently disagree, but they are wrong.

This topic has been discussed at length, so there is no point in re-litigating the arguments here. Just search the site for "MiMo" or "weboost" and sip from the fire hose. That way you can read both sides of the argument.
YES... I see your point.......
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi, Booster. I'm not able to parse your sentence and would like to understand. Did you mean high miles is not surprising, or people severely overestimate use?
Or am I mixed up again?
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
Hi, Booster. I'm not able to parse your sentence and would like to understand. Did you mean high miles is not surprising, or people severely overestimate use?
Or am I mixed up again?

You are correct, should be overestimated use, good catch
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Most RVs are NOT your daily driver... unless you're FULL TIME

Quote:
You are correct, should be overestimated use, good catch
Underestimated use would result in higher miles....but, aside from long distance trips or multiple regional trips ( within 250-500 miles) ....

How many of you actually use your RV every day or every other day????

Our RV does spend a significant amount of time in the driveway... but, when we take it out on trips..we typically put over 250 to 500 miles on regional trips and 2,000 to 6,000 miles on longer trips....

I expect to put about 8,000 to 10,000 miles per year on my RV... mostly on USA trips across USA.... which should save on brakes... I understand that tires rolling on the highway actually wear better than stop and go traffic.....

When I purchased the tires... they said... we'll see you in five or six years... don't worry about running the tread down quickly... even they didn't expect that I'd wear down the tread before the time ran out....

My plan is to replace my tires every six years no matter what...so, I might as well just drive the long distances on cross country journeys....

We have two other cars for city driving...

I realize that some people on this forum might consider using their Class B's as a second car.... I don't think that's a good idea...and if you don't have a great insurance policy for this... you're on a slippery slope...
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:

Yes
Thank you for comment
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote