Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do most of you have a "spare tire" onboard?

I would have thought that nearly everyone would have a spare tire... but, I was a little surprised to find a number of models like Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel do NOT.. I wonder if this was just a space thing, weight thing or what??

Hope I never have to use my spare tire... but, sure glad I have one.

If you don't have one... what do you do in the event of a problem?
I imagine getting a replacement on the road in a rural area is not too handy or easy.. and of course it would cause a pretty big delay getting you back on the road...

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I would have thought that nearly everyone would have a spare tire... but, I was a little surprised to find a number of models like Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel do NOT.. I wonder if this was just a space thing, weight thing or what??

Hope I never have to use my spare tire... but, sure glad I have one.

If you don't have one... what do you do in the event of a problem?
I imagine getting a replacement on the road in a rural area is not too handy or easy.. and of course it would cause a pretty big delay getting you back on the road...
We have one but because it came with the rig (Continental Kit). Many have said they couldn't/wouldn't change it themselves anyway and that many of these vehicles have reasonably easy to get spares. Most cars have gone to a no-spare model as well.

I have been tempted to take mine off to make it easy to access both rear doors but probably leave as is.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Many, many vehicles come without spares these days. I own a spare, but don't carry it. No perceived need. I have a plug kit and a compressor. In the extremely unlikely event I get a flat, CoachNet will save me. Yes, it would take a couple of hours, but it's a B-van. We can be comfortable and entertained no matter where we are.

I don't carry spare NOX sensors, either. The odds of needing one are considerably greater than ever needing a spare tire.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our Roadtrek has the continental spare and it has come in handy on a couple occasions. The last time we had a flat we were deep in the woods of Arkansas and a long hike to cell service. If you don't boondock maybe no spare.

I jacked up the RT 210 with the jack that the factory put in it and changed the rear tire. Nothing like being in your 70s and hefting around an E tire and wheel but I feel blessed I can still do those things.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Only my GWV had a tire on the back door which was easily opened because of the style of carrier unlike Roadtrek's, but I never touched it. The LTV came without. The RT came with a tire taking up 50% of the area under the sofa, so it went into storage. So basically I haven't carried one since 2007. I use the same system as Avanti... retired, don't have a schedule... I can wait for the roadside assistance.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

OP, to make a long story short and to re-post a pic I've shared on other threads, I lost not one but TWO tires last year in the location shown below (which is in Canada, not the U.S.). I had Good Sam coverage and they managed to dispatch a guy from 25 miles away who took one of those mobile "tire hospital" trucks out to the site and fixed them both right there (both had faulty stems). I was amazed at the quality of service. I called it in after business hours and it was done by noon the next day.

We do carry a spare underneath the chassis, but I'm debating whether to jettison it entirely. There are very few instances where I'd opt to change a tire myself. For the price of a good service plan, I'd rather leave that to the professionals.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Count me as another one that had a spare, but probably would never use it by myself.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
Silver Member

We have spare in ROADTREK. We drive to Yucatan each winter and there is no RV coverage. The Nexican government Green Angels ate on the main roads. We also take a fifth wheel and we have two spares for both fifth wheel and tow vehicle.

Have changed tires in Baja, Oakenque, and near Chichin Itza.

Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
Mfm
Bronze Member

Default Spare tire?

Have spare on left rear door...have never used it...but like to know that it is there even though it would be nice to have easier access to the rear doors.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Both of the RV's have a spare only because they were there when we each purchased ours.

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote