Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default do they make cargo vans with a smaller raised roof?

what i mean by this question is like a ford or dodge class b type conversion van that has a small raised roof . i would like to get one of these as i am a small person 5'5 and could stand up 3/4 the way in one (to put pants on etc. ) the reason i want a low raised top conversion van to make into a camper van and it is that it would be less suspicious in a parking lot for over night stays in some places .
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: do they make cargo vans with a smaller raised roof?

Look at the pictures in this thread, is this what you have in mind?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1946
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed
what i mean by this question is like a ford or dodge class b type conversion van that has a small raised roof . i would like to get one of these as i am a small person 5'5 and could stand up 3/4 the way in one (to put pants on etc. ) the reason i want a low raised top conversion van to make into a camper van and it is that it would be less suspicious in a parking lot for over night stays in some places .
I think you mean short raised roofs as opposed to popups?
There's lots I think. I see them all the time when we travel.
They have raised add on roofs, probably fiberglass, but they aren't as tall overall as what Roadtrek,
or some of the other class B converters do.
There are some examples here.....
http://www.classicvans.com/

What happened to the Aerostar ?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Gold Member

well what i ment was a van like the conversion vans with a low top (raised roof) but yet without all the windows in the side . that's what i really ment to say , do they make cargo vans (regular shape not the sprint types) that has the lower profile raised roof like the conversion vans . i would like to find a van sometime that already has a raised low level roof like this (i know they can be added later but the cost would be to much for me . ) .
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Gold Member

I just spent many months looking at van possibilities, mainly on Craigslist, and I did see these, but not very often; I think people don't tend to do those kinds of conversions to cargo vans. But - I don't know what your budget is like, but I'm wondering if one of the Sprinter vans would work for you, or maybe the Ford Transit? I have seen them with the kind of raised roof I think you're describing.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your search.

Meg
MegA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Gold Member

yes i imagine maybe most people don'y make conversion vans into camper vans , yes it is all about budget for me as i am very low socail security , that and also the fact that i want the van to blend in (so it can be parked anywhere without people really knowing it's something to live in (someday) , so not a tall van or tall roof when i ever get something what is affordable sometime i plan on taking out any wall etc. covering so i can put a wooden frame work in and insulation, etc. as i have seen others on here do
. and also make my own cabinets etc. maybe not fancy but to satisfy me .
someday , but for now i will only dream , i was just wondering if they had delivery vans that were from conversion vans . oh and the transit vans would be to big and i think use to much gas for me , it has to be fairly economical to !
Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Gold Member

You might want to check the local ads; there are all kinds of vans for sale here and that might be the same for your area. I found several that had been converted for a specific purpose; you might be able to find something similar, that didn't look like all the others but would work for you.

Also, the Transits I've seen aren't that big; in fact, they're smaller than the Sprinters. They're called Transit Connects, and I think they're made by Ford. They all seem to be cargo vans.

The thing about cargo vans, though, is they don't (usually) have any insulation; that's why I stayed away from them, I can't do that kind of work. And with the climate here, or in some of the places I want to go, I'd need insulation. Maybe where you are it's not a big requirement, or you could manage the insulation yourself.

Meg
MegA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Gold Member

as i was looking around on the internet i found this conversion van made into a camper van .
http://cheaprvliving.com/Easy_Van_Conversion.html
The only difference was i wanted one with a low raised top to semi stand in for getting dressed . so some people do make camper vans with conversion vans , maybe not that many .
Someone else asked me about the areostar van , i still have it , i took the bed etc. out , its my everyday driver . i still have the home made bed and curtains . in my storage shed .

i am wanting a cheap priced decent mileage not high mileage full conversion van because i can put a bed in the back sideways so it doesn't take up so much forward room .
also i am not worried about the insulation as i plan on doing as someone else did on here and put insulation from rolls inside the walls , etc.
this is a van i am planning on getting later . a dream of mine . i plan on building or having small counters made , etc. as thin width as possible to allow more center room in the van . and hope to have a "steal proof " solar panel on top the van to recharge batteries like someone on here did .
the ford areostar van i have is ok to make into a temporary camper van but i want something a little bigger . so when the right time comes i will get something like a conversion van .
What i would like to do is take one of the metal fold down futon beds (wal mart sells ( it is a couch but will fold down into a bed , "if" this would fit in the rear sideways in a full size van that would be perfect! may have to raise it higher though to place plasctic containers with drawers underneith it (also sold at wal mart) .

One plus that i did like on the cargo vans was the metal divider behind the seats with a metal locking door! maybe something like that could be bought seperate or even made !
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

It might be worth considering adding a high top roof to a low mileage van.

The above is from http://www.tufport.com
some other links are:
http://www.discountvantruck.com/vant...fs/vantops.htm
http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR_Inc/Full_Van_Size_Top.html
http://www.cyclevan.com/hightops/index.htm

[youtube:ircy2ufr]CO5lmT7gDqw[/youtube:ircy2ufr]

This is a very well done DIY van conversion:
http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi....php?f=12&t=57
But it would have cost a lot.

I highly recommend keeping a look out for a great deal on a van that has been converted by a company. Yes, they cost more but you really do get a lot of stuff included. Sometimes you get lucky. When I was looking in early 2011 I saw a 1994 Coach House or Coachmen that went for $12,000. with air conditioner, generator, shower, stove, fridge etc., only 56,000 miles on the odometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various van high tops.JPG (113.0 KB, 1662 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My full size van has a lower than normal roof. Inside might only be 5'7" or 5'8". It is similar to the TV Top roof.

It would look fairly stealthy without the awning and solar panel I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van roof 2.jpg (70.4 KB, 1492 views)
File Type: jpg van roof 1.jpg (97.2 KB, 1492 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Take it through a local auto carwash and you won't have to worry about the awning and
solar panels giving you away any more.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Platinum Member

:P :P :P

It might get even less stealthy as I'm looking at putting an air conditioner on the roof.