Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Do you ever get gas?

At Conoco, or Exxon, or Shell, or Sunoco? Or is it Sinclair, Maverick, and Sam's/Murphy's/Costco for you?
What gasoline do you find works best for you? Is there a difference between the cheaper gasoline, and the
"big oil and gas company" brand product?
I've always been of the opinion that cheaper gas may have unwanted "additives" or
might be missing quantities of octane supporting chemicals. Or may just burn "dirty".
I've also thought of companies like Shell, Sunoco, Exxon/Mobile, Philips, and the other
"name" brands might be of a higher quality, and I almost always fill up with them a few
times before I have to get an emissions test every 2 years here in Ontario. Between tests,
I usually grab whatever is cheapest, or fill up at the places that give Air Miles or have other
loyalty programs in place.

What do others think?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you ever get gas?

I never took the time to check all the brands however I have found after I filled up at several places my car didn't run very well. But when I mentioned it to a friend he said his car ran good on that brand. Maybe I just got a bad batch? Maybe mine was tuned (carberator) for different kind if that is possible? I always had good luck with Mobil but we no longer have any around us and I just but the cheapest usually Sams or Costco.
Many years ago I use to rebuild engines and when I pulled some valves I found a heavy coating of white carbon on some engines. I found that in every case they used Sohio (now BP) gas. I found when the person used Mobil there usually wasn't any or much carbon on the valves. Those are the only two I can really comment on as I really did not have enough info of any other gas or engine deposits to determine anything nor did I ask everytime. All these findings are at least 30 years old and I couldn't say if it changed or not.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We mostly buy gas from our local Co-op group. They give us X amount of Co-op dollars per litre which we then spend in the grocery store.....

So I guess I'm really just buying the cheapest gas.

Slightly off topic but it seems like the cheapest place to buy bananas around these parts is the Irving gas stations and the bananas are usually in good shape.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Gas is gas as most all of it comes from the same refinery in a given area. If anything the biggies that advertise advantages are the ones adding the differential additives to back up their marketing claims that most likely don't do a thing for you.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
We mostly buy gas from our local Co-op group. They give us X amount of Co-op dollars per litre which we then spend in the grocery store.....

So I guess I'm really just buying the cheapest gas.

Slightly off topic but it seems like the cheapest place to buy bananas around these parts is the Irving gas stations and the bananas are usually in good shape.
That's interesting because we started noticing a few US truck stops offer what appears to be
some good looking "fresh" fruit near their cash registers. I suspect they are pricier than the
$ 0.49/lb. bananas in the No Frills or Food Basics stores, but they do look like they're edible.
What do you pay for a banana at Uncle Irving's? We see apples, and sometimes oranges, too.
Although, we usually stop at a truck stop for gas, and a 20oz. French Roast coffee for $1.49.
TOP THAT, TIM HORTONS!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

A truck stop is definitely not the place to be buying your fresh fruit. I drive across Canada weekly and the fruit is grossly over priced at truck stops. A dollar for an apple or a banana is outrageous in my book.I guess they have to make as much as they can while they have you in the store, even though I just dropped $500 in diesel fuel. The old "point of purchase displays" are there for a reason.

Woodgrain
Woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I do tend to agree with you. We tour the US a lot and we've found truck stops good for fuel, washrooms,
coffee, and sleeping if we get caught out late. Fruit/food isn't usually our reason for stopping, but maybe
it's different in some places. I'm not sure.
We have grabbed a hot food item on occasion, when we're starving.