Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 AM   #21
Bronze Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I have a hot shower in my 136” PM, and no space is "wasted."

https://msnomersvan.wordpress.com/20...01/the-shower/
Brilliant!!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #22
Platinum Member

If building a new van, I would do diesel. To me, that's a no-brainer on a fresh build.

However re: the propane, we have an existing Atwood 6 gallon generic hot water heater that is propane-fired. I researched replacing it, but ended up concluding to my surprise that, if propane is to be used, there's really nothing that surpasses the old dinosaur Atwood in terms of efficiency. It doesn't seem to consume very much propane and it holds each batch of water at temperature for hours at a time (i.e., turn it off and the hot water will still be there - no need to consume an entire 6 gallons of water at once). The on-demand propane hot water units require too high a flow rate for boondocking.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If building a new van, I would do diesel. To me, that's a no-brainer on a fresh build.

However re: the propane, we have an existing Atwood 6 gallon generic hot water heater that is propane-fired. I researched replacing it, but ended up concluding to my surprise that, if propane is to be used, there's really nothing that surpasses the old dinosaur Atwood in terms of efficiency. It doesn't seem to consume very much propane and it holds each batch of water at temperature for hours at a time (i.e., turn it off and the hot water will still be there - no need to consume an entire 6 gallons of water at once). The on-demand propane hot water units require too high a flow rate for boondocking.
1) IMO, diesel is FAR from a no-brainer. The hassles of owning a diesel van with modern emissions systems represent a huge negative. I wouldn't rule it out, but if I could avoid diesel in any practical way, I would.

2) I have nothing against propane, but there are fine alternatives for heating water using all of the various fuels. I would almost certainly choose a system that used the same fuel as the vehicle, the advantages being obvious. I would have an electric backup, too.

3) If you are going to carry around hot water to store heat, I think it makes more sense to store it in the form of a closed glycol loop. That way, you can use a flash-plate water/water heat exchanger to produce on-demand hot water without requiring a high flow rate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Design decisions

During my design phase, functionalities which could influenced a future resale value, were embedded in the decision making, either implemented at the get go or possibly later.

1. 4 people sitting, done at get go. Used a few times already, but not often.

2. Family of 4 sleeping capacity - not done but very easy to implement. The lower outer 80/20 1.5” aluminum extrusions of the left and right overhead cabinets have T-slots available for a hammock deployment. Good enough for 2 children. Potential cost about $250.

3. Indoor shower, not done but easy to implement in an erectable form. I would need to add a warm water quick disconnect on the galley for a shower hose and have erectable “tent” with attached floor draining into the sliding door step located gray water tray with a bilge pump which would transfer the waste water into the grey water tank, potential cost about $250.

One shower idea I considered was the indoor erectable shower from Safari Condo, a good option for folks desiring 360 degrees windows surround and a shower. For us it was an added complexity for shower which we wouldn’t use often. For over 40 years of camping or boating we used campground or marina facilities, plenty of water for full shower including hair wash. We all have different habits, no need to promote my way is the best way.

In regards to diesel versus propane, diesel fuel combustion byproduct is soot, these soot deposits require periodic maintenance, some folks periodically run kerosene to clean combustion chamber. In comparison LPG burners don’t require cleaning maintenance.

My personal experience with gasoline power furnace on 1985 Westfalia wasn’t too good, the unit failed too often starts by spark ignition, but this is a single, almost 35 years old, data point. Since, perhaps Eberspacher and Webasto improved their furnaces.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #25
Platinum Member

avanti, just for curiosity, about how much water do you use for a full shower?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
avanti, just for curiosity, about how much water do you use for a full shower?
I don't honestly know, but we have a 29 gallon fresh tank, and with only minimal care, we get 4 days out of it. I shower daily. DW does not, but she is not known for being frugal with other uses.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote