Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Dodge issues

Hi All,

I finally bought a 94 Falcon 190 with 80K miles. It seems to be in good condition overall. However, It makes a very loud racket when the wheels are turned fairly sharp to the left or right. And the break pedal has no play. You press on it doesn't go down at all. Any ideas on what is causing these problems.

I love this forum, especially now that I'm a Class B owner.

Don
donrebyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dodge issues

On some vehicles when you turn the wheels fairly sharp it causes the suspension to move making a noise. It really isn't anything to worry about unless something is broke and if you have been driving it I doubt it is broke. I have driven vans for years with that noise and no problems. I would look to see if anything looks broke and keep an eye on the tires for any odd wear pattern.
I don't have any idea on your other problem
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Sorry... can't really help.

Might be a good idea to get the brakes checked out by a shop.

I read a post about steering noise when turning the wheel - in that instance the noise was cause by a steering stabilizer. It was a aftermarket add-on and must have become mis-aligned. The poster removed the add-on steering stabilizer and the noise was gone.

Congrats on getting the van. You'll have lots of fun with it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. When I bring it home, I'll have these checked, along with some normal maintenance that is long overdue.

We are really looking forward to getting out in the Falcon. Hopefully, I can take it to Alaska next year.

Don
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Is your ABS light on?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Don,
My 99 Dodge 3500 Leisure Travel makes the same noise. 36,000 miles. Drives the wife nuts. We've put 4,000 miles on since we got it in January. No issues. I have heard it is not a big deal. If you find out different please let us know.

Stan,
My brake and ABS light came on after the van recently sat for a week. The fuse is good. I am going to check the sensors this weekend. Any other ideas?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

I haven't noticed an ABS or brake light being on. It just feels strange for the brake pedal to have no travel. It stops fine. I guess a trip to a brake shop is in order.

Slipbobber, I'll be sure to let you know if I find out anything on the growling front-end. The previous owner said it's always been like that for the 9+ years he's owned it. For my own peace of mind, I'm going to have it checked by a mechanic.

Happy camping.

Don
Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Actually my last Dodge van had the abs light on all the time and worked great. Have either of you thought of just calling a Dodge service dept? If you get someone who says "just bring it in " the call another dealer. They should no the ins and outs pretty good. I generall y shy from dealers because they cost much more but they've probably seen more vans than anyone.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

I've wanted to stay away from a dealer, but it might be worth it for piece of mind. Every time a take a car to a dealer, I say never again. Besides the high cost, the repairs often are not correct or aren't needed in the first place.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I know what you're saying. I just ordered two Haynes manuals (one for my GM van and the second one for the diesel engine) to help me maintain and repair as much as I can myself. Some things will still require professional service but at least I can read up on those also.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

My experience has been just the opposite. If I want it done right, I take it to the dealer because they have more to lose than the guy with the strip mall shop, or the one working out of his garage, or backyard, or basement. Reputation is everything in the auto-world. Once you lose it, it's near impossible to regain the trust, and that usually means no more new, or used, vehicle sales. IMO, dealers have to get it right, because they do generally charge more. Joe Blow can usually screw up with impunity, because he was "a bargain".
That said, I've rarely been screwed over by a dealer, and the work has almost always been worth the extra money, but I have been taken on more than one occasion by an independent, when I thought I could save a few bucks. It's never worked out for the good with them, for me.
Just my opinion.