Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Default Dodge Promaster Locking Issues

We have recently purchased a 2016 Pleasureway Lexor TS on a Dodge Promaster chassis. We have been having issues with the locks. Sometimes it will lock and other times we get an indicator that a door is open and/or an indicator that the back doors are open (which they are not), and the locks will not work. This is totally random.
We have taken it to the Dodge dealer. They thought they had corrected the problem, but as soon as we got home the locks quit working again.
This is a real problem since there is no way to lock the passenger door or the sliding door.
Has anyone else had this problem with the Dodge Promaster? Were you able to correct the problem? If so, how?
Also, does anyone know of an after-market (non electronic) locking system that could be added? I don't know if I will ever completely trust this locking system even if they are able to fix it.
I look forward to any help you can offer.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
We have recently purchased a 2016 Pleasureway Lexor TS on a Dodge Promaster chassis. We have been having issues with the locks. Sometimes it will lock and other times we get an indicator that a door is open and/or an indicator that the back doors are open (which they are not), and the locks will not work. This is totally random.
We have taken it to the Dodge dealer. They thought they had corrected the problem, but as soon as we got home the locks quit working again.
This is a real problem since there is no way to lock the passenger door or the sliding door.
Has anyone else had this problem with the Dodge Promaster? Were you able to correct the problem? If so, how?
Also, does anyone know of an after-market (non electronic) locking system that could be added? I don't know if I will ever completely trust this locking system even if they are able to fix it.
I look forward to any help you can offer.

i have a zion which is the ram promaster and had this issue. first off most of the time it is the sliding door not the back door the open door symbol says back but is the slider

if you look at the slider you'll see there is a contact point in the jam and on the door

try cleaning the contacts-if they are not meeting correctly- also- sometimes the sliding door is not perfectly aligned.

another thing that works for me when this happens is to close the sliding door closed when inside. pull it closed at the lower part. when you pull it higher up sometimes the top hits slightly before the bottom and contacts are not met.

another way i read about but did not need is putting some electrical contact goo on each sensor
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sometimes the slider looks closed but isn't. Next time the locks aren't working, check to see how flush the trailing edge of the door meets the body. It should be perfect. Sometimes the door will stick out an eighth and not make electrical contact.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Bronze Member

As we have experienced with our Travato, it really helps to open another door when closing the slider and you almost always have to slam it pretty hard to get the thing to close completely as Eric has noted. Also, are you using the parking brake? On the Travato there is a white wire at the base of the brake handle. We found we had to diconnect this wire in order to lock the doors with the brake on. You give up having the "brake" symbol reminder light on the dash but at least you can lock the doors. (Note: If the "parking" lights flash once when you electronically lock the doors you have succeeded. If they flash 7 times you have failed.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Had that problem, check your door hardware screws for tightness, you will find one loose.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have found with all the windows closed, the sliding door can be difficult to close. When you pull that door, you are pushing alot of air with it. With the van sealed up, there is no where for that air to go. So try having another door open, or a window open and see if it's easier to close and then lock.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I have found with all the windows closed, the sliding door can be difficult to close. When you pull that door, you are pushing alot of air with it. With the van sealed up, there is no where for that air to go. So try having another door open, or a window open and see if it's easier to close and then lock.
True. I've also found if I'm closing the door from the outside, I have to keep my left hand off the door and avoid the temptation to help it move in during it's last couple inches of travel by pushing on it.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Well done guys!
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post
As we have experienced with our Travato, it really helps to open another door when closing the slider and you almost always have to slam it pretty hard to get the thing to close completely as Eric has noted. Also, are you using the parking brake? On the Travato there is a white wire at the base of the brake handle. We found we had to diconnect this wire in order to lock the doors with the brake on. You give up having the "brake" symbol reminder light on the dash but at least you can lock the doors. (Note: If the "parking" lights flash once when you electronically lock the doors you have succeeded. If they flash 7 times you have failed.
I have a zion promaster. i use the parking brake and am able to lock all doors.is this a winnebago thing?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Why am I not seeing that Chrysler is working on a fix, as everyone seems to be having the problem? These are brand new vehicles, they should work properly
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
Bronze Member

booster, from what I've seen on the RAM Promaster forums it's a common problem, apparently, on vehicles with sliding doors in general. gerry, it's possible the issue with locking with the parking brake on is only a WGO issue.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Why am I not seeing that Chrysler is working on a fix, as everyone seems to be having the problem? These are brand new vehicles, they should work properly
I remember on my '66 VW Bug, I had to open a window to reliably close the door. I'm not so sure this is a problem. Just a tight fit.

Now the rear doors have a problem. My Dodge dealer is waiting on some parts to fix the bottom latching mech. There is a TSB on this issue.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 09-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Booster-the rampromasterforum site has some people with this issue

once i figured out it was the sliding door it rarely happens any more-
Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have no idea why he needed to clip a wire to lock the doors with the brake set. I've had two Travatos and neither had that issue. Only thing I've had is it can be tough to slam the door closed from inside the van.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. We are meeting with our dealer next week. He says they will work with their Dodge dealer to get our issue resolved. I will update if and when we learn anything.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #16

I spoke to a guy with the same problem. They found a ground wire from the switch in the slider door (there's a plastic plate with little contacts on it) to water pump was causing the problem. Once they relocated the ground the problem was solved. There was apparently three wires there and only two of them are for the plate. I'm having the same problem and plan to talk to my dealer about it on my next service.
hydrasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Bronze Member

The lock / unlock button on the drivers door won't lock or unlock doors. I have to lock with the key fob when I'm inside the camper and hope that my doors are really locked. Has anyone else had this problem??
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAislandgirl View Post
The lock / unlock button on the drivers door won't lock or unlock doors. I have to lock with the key fob when I'm inside the camper and hope that my doors are really locked. Has anyone else had this problem??
That button in the center dash with the red light doesn't lock your doors?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
Bronze Member

You know I just tried the button near the hazard flasher and I got it to lock and unlock successfully after a couple of attempts -- hurray. But the unlock button on the drivers door near the up/down Windows does not unlock or lock -- so I will just ignore that button???
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The door button pretty much mimics the dash button. Sometimes it takes two presses to completely lock the doors. The first press does the front, the next press does the rears, or something like that.

FYI, if you are inside and you push the center button and you never get a red light, chances are a door is not closed, usually the slider. Also, if you keep press the buttons like 20 times like I just did, the locks will time out and nothing, not even the key fob will work. It comes back after 20 or so seconds.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g