Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Default Dodge wheel spacers- please help

Hi everyone,
I’ve got a question about putting spacers on my 1995 Pleasure Way class b. From reading forum threads and other research I know that the rear track on the dodge chassis of my Pleasure Way is four inches narrower than the front track and I believe that is causing my handling problems. I’ve had everything checked out and there are no other problems.

I purchased spacers from Fred Goeske’s company wheeladapter.com. They are two inch thick steel wheel spacers for an eight lug wheel which matches my wheels.

The installation video on the web site shows spacers being installed between duel wheels on what I believe is called a full floating rear end. The spacers slide over the protruding bearing assembly on the hub and the weight of the vehicle is carried by the bearings in the hub. I think all the weight is still transferred through the lug nuts, but I’m not entirely sure.

The rear end on my Pleasure Way is a semi floating rear end which is used on most passenger cars and light trucks Their are no protruding bearing assemblies to slide the spacers over. All the weight and stresses will be carried by the l/2 inch lugs.

Is this a problem? I know a number of you have spacers installed on your vehicles. Do you have full floating rear ends or semi floating rear ends and ½ inch lugs like I do? I need to get this right. I certainly don’t want to lose a wheel while going down the road.

Thank you very much for any information or advice you can give me. I’d hate to give up my motorhome over this but rutted pavement is a major problem.

Larry
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Dodge wheel spacers- please help

Hi Larry,
You are correct, that there may be PW owners on here that have some info on your issue.
I'm not one of them. Sorry, wish I could help with specific knowledge or experience.

While you're waiting for someone on here to give you some help, you might try contacting one
of the Pleasure Way Owners clubs.

They may be able to help, or give you further suggestions.
http://www.pleasureway.com/ownersclub.php

or Pleasure Way Service, and ask them.
http://www.pleasureway.com/

I own a Roadtrek, and when I have technical or service issues, I try the folks on here and
I also contact the manufacturer for design or engineering information, and service tech
opinions and suggestions. Including situations where I'm considering modifying something
that was designed for the vehicle, but that I'd like to modify after the warranty is long gone.

Did you ask the wheeladaptor.com people about the spacers, and that you may have the wrong
ones for your year/make/model?

Might be worth a try?
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Gold Member

Hi, Larry;
I installed a set of Goeske's spacers on my 95 Ram 350 P Way for same reasons you give, and with same apprehensions. That was perhaps 30K miles ago and I've never regretted it. Wonderful improvement in stopping any tendency to wander. I just slid them over existing wheel studs, added a couple of drops of (non-permanent) locktight, torqued them to 140 ft-lbs, slid the wheels back on over spacer's studs, torqued them down. Good to go
I've since had rear break drums serviced and service dept had no problems with presence of spacers.
Note that when you're torquing nuts on spacers, you'll need to use either impact wrench or
Set hand brake really tight to stop drum from spinning.
I know others who have also installed spacers and are pleased with results. Haven't heard of any problem. If I remember correctly (not sure now) I had 1/2. Inch wheel studs, but used
Spacers fitted with 5/8 studs - but I may be wrong about that.

Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks Mike and Les, You've really helped me out.

I've looked at the links you suggested Mike, lots of good information and ideas.

The report on your experience is just what I'm looking for Les.

Some of the stuff I read stated that 1/2" studs should only be torqued to about 110 pounds though but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks again,

Larry
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote