Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Dodge windshield wipers

HI we have a 1999 Xplorer on a Dodge 3500 chassis. The wipers started to be erratic when on intermittent - would stop and start at random points in the cycle. Simultaneously they would no longer "park" but simply stopped wherever they were in their cycle when turned off.

Knowing something about how wiper motors usually work, I though the motor/contacts were the problem so I bought a rebuilt motor, $115 - no change.

So, I researched on line and several said the 'wiper control module' was the problem - no longer available from Dodge so I bought a used one from an auto wrecking yard that said it was tested, $20 - no change.

So, here I am with the new wiper motor installed but I can't connect the linkage because I now don't know where "park" is in the motor's cycle since it doesn't go to "park" anymore.

Has anyone with a Dodge had problems with their wipers and perhaps have any suggestions for what to look at next?

Thanks,
Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
HI we have a 1999 Xplorer on a Dodge 3500 chassis. The wipers started to be erratic when on intermittent - would stop and start at random points in the cycle. Simultaneously they would no longer "park" but simply stopped wherever they were in their cycle when turned off.

Knowing something about how wiper motors usually work, I though the motor/contacts were the problem so I bought a rebuilt motor, $115 - no change.

So, I researched on line and several said the 'wiper control module' was the problem - no longer available from Dodge so I bought a used one from an auto wrecking yard that said it was tested, $20 - no change.

So, here I am with the new wiper motor installed but I can't connect the linkage because I now don't know where "park" is in the motor's cycle since it doesn't go to "park" anymore.

Has anyone with a Dodge had problems with their wipers and perhaps have any suggestions for what to look at next?

Thanks,
Dave

Can't speak for that model, but a lot of the setups reverse the more direction to get the park position. If yours is like that, the module or wiring to do that may be bad. I went through this on a rear wiper on my 1996 Buick wagon, which as it turned out had a small relay in the module that was failed, so I managed to wire in a universal one.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Can you grab your wipers and wipe your window with your hand? If yes then it is likely the wiper linkage bushing, a part that costs about $3. Chrysler used the same part for a million years it seems.

1970 Dodge D100 (same part, minor modification)
1985 dodge ramcharger
95 dodge grand caravan (annoying music on this one)
2004-2010 Dodge Ram (same part, different mechanism)

You get the point, it's a common part designed to fail to save the expensive bits. It can be a pain to get to as you need to remove your cowl which in some vehicles actually inserts under the windshield gasket. Doing it yourself should take you no more than 2 hours if you've never done it before.

I honestly suggest you buy at least two. Since they're low cost if you damage one the first time installing it then you can just replace it without a second trip to the parts store. Or buy three and have an extra one laying around because they do fail.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:57 AM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks for the quick replies...

Booster, I don't have a manual for this van but it doesn't appear to reverse itself to park. It seem like its just stops at a specific point in the cycle. I opened up the motor gearbox and there are the typical contacts rubbing on a cam-like plate that controls the stopping point - it could reverse but I don't think so. Having said that, I am going to continue to learn more about how it is designed to work.

Bruceper, I don't think there is any problem with the linkage. There is no slop at any of the joints. I do have the cowl off and can see/feel all joints. Everything is very smooth operating it by hand while disconnected from the motor/gearbox and there have never been any clunks or rattles or failure to go a complete sweep/range of blade motion.

Some on-line research says it could be the switch but I am having a hard time understanding how that could be the problem - for that matter, how I would diagnose/test the switch functions.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

I had the same issues on a 1998 Dodge Pleasureway. Had the wiper motor replaced, which solved the problem for a while. Then replaced the control module, which did not change anything. A third mechanic then diagnosed an intermittent bad connection in the connector to the wiper motor. I don't think the connector was available, and they had to fabricate an alternative.
algunbato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I have had 3 Dodge vans from 76to 1999 LTV. All will have the bushing failures. buy some to carry with you and some silicon grease. You will be happy when you get them replaced and see how well your wipers work now.As for your park position, Turn on wiper motor and pull the fuse. Turn off wipers and reinstall the fuse and the motor will stop at park position.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote