Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Default Does anyone have some experience with new 12 Volt DC AC

As a couple of different manufactures are now installing 12 Volt DC AC I was wonder how well do they work? Can you run them longer on the new Lithium Powered Class B units?

Thanks

Kevin
AAFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

What are you talking about. I think you are referring to an inverter. but you don't say that, if that is the case I recommend a true sine unit over a modified sine. It makes a difference when running a motor like a even a drill.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g View Post
What are you talking about. I think you are referring to an inverter. but you don't say that, if that is the case I recommend a true sine unit over a modified sine. It makes a difference when running a motor like a even a drill.
He is asking about 12v DC Air Conditioning systems ...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The user is asking about native 12 volt DC air conditioners, not a 120 volt AC air conditioner running on an inverter.

One unit from Dometic, the Cuddy II, pulls 29 Amps during full cooling.But that unit is only 3500BTU.

Lets hear from others who may have experience with DC air conditioners which by the way are much more popular in the boat industry.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
One unit from Dometic, the Cuddy II, pulls 29 Amps during full cooling.But that unit is only 3500BTU.

Lets hear from others who may have experience with DC air conditioners which by the way are much more popular in the boat industry.
That unit is water cooled so only for boats.

What is the question? We lived with an Autoclima UGO for 1.5 years. Decent to lower humidity but a little underpowered. We have tested the split unit from Autoclima, which is far superior. We have also tested and installed unit is from Kingtec and Cruise N Comfort.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
jon
Platinum Member

I had a 12 volt "cruise-n-comfort" in my Sprinter that I sold.
The outside condenser unit had a automotive type fan that ran on high constantly.
It didn't seem to cool at a true 8000 BTUs
It only consumed something like 40 amps at 12volts which is under 500w.
In my new campervan I installed at Colman mach 8 cub 115VAC rooftop air conditioner.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I had a 12 volt "cruise-n-comfort" in my Sprinter that I sold.
The outside condenser unit had a automotive type fan that ran on high constantly.
It didn't seem to cool at a true 8000 BTUs
It only consumed something like 40 amps at 12volts which is under 500w.
In my new campervan I installed at Colman mach 8 cub 115VAC rooftop air conditioner.
Which model did you have? That has not been our experience. I will say each DC A/C that we have tested has not performed to specs. Even so we still prefer either the Cruise N Comfort for split or the Kingtec for rooftop. Would not install a typical RV A/C ever again.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 AM   #8
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Which model did you have? That has not been our experience. I will say each DC A/C that we have tested has not performed to specs. Even so we still prefer either the Cruise N Comfort for split or the Kingtec for rooftop. Would not install a typical RV A/C ever again.
I had the VES12L. It is a split unit. The placement of the evaporator unit wasn't optimal. It was in the rear and it pointed to the center. I wanted to have a typical unit on this van. To be fair I had a passenger van without insulated curtains soo it would heat fast in the sun. I probably should have had a 20K btu air conditioner.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

Coachmen and Advanced RV are both using 12 volt DC AC in they're rigs. I was looking for some feed back on how well they worked.
AAFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
How much quieter are they? Cooling is important but maintaining my hearing is even more important to me.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFD View Post
Coachmen and Advanced RV are both using 12 volt DC AC in they're rigs. I was looking for some feed back on how well they worked.
Are you sure that ARV is still using DC units? I though that they were exclusively using the Houghton unit, which I believe is AC. I was really worked up about finding a DC unit for awhile, but in the grand order of things, I am no longer sure the efficiency gain is all that great.

BTW, a guy at this site:
https://www.phoenixusarv.com/communi...p?topic=3463.0
says that ARV is now selling these units direct to consumer. He says the cost is $2137 plus shipping. Tempting...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

ARV has tested 12V DC air conditioning systems but to my knowledge have not delivered as their standard offering. They have gone from Dometic Mach 8 to the Houghton as their standard, both 120V AC systems. The Houghton is extremely quiet and more efficient than the Dometic.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

What is the amp draw on the Houghton?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Are you sure that ARV is still using DC units? I though that they were exclusively using the Houghton unit, which I believe is AC. I was really worked up about finding a DC unit for awhile, but in the grand order of things, I am no longer sure the efficiency gain is all that great.

BTW, a guy at this site:
https://www.phoenixusarv.com/communi...p?topic=3463.0
says that ARV is now selling these units direct to consumer. He says the cost is $2137 plus shipping. Tempting...
Yes, ARV will install the Houghton on any RV. We got it last Nov. in our truck...

https://www.facebook.com/AdvancedRVC...hZ2g&__tn__=-R
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Yes, ARV will install the Houghton on any RV. We got it last Nov. in our truck...
Yes, I know. But, I interpret the person's comment to mean that they will sell it for self-install. The text I am referring to is:

Quote:
I’ve been in contact with advanced RV this past week. They are too far to go just to have one installed however they are now selling direct to consumer. The cost is 2137 plus shipping. A new 15,000 btu penguin with a ADB runs about 1800.00 so it’s really not that much more. If it’s really three times quieter as the claim it’s on my wish and hopefully done soon list.
Note that (a) the $2137 price is less than the $2749 which is the alleged price for an installed unit and (b) the poster mentions "plus shipping".
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
We got it last Nov. in our truck...
BTW: is it as quiet as everybody says?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I know. But, I interpret the person's comment to mean that they will sell it for self-install. The text I am referring to is:

Note that (a) the $2137 price is less than the $2749 which is the alleged price for an installed unit and (b) the poster mentions "plus shipping".
I called earlier today. The price is still $2,137 and it ships via UPS. They said the average shipping is around $250.

I just need to figure out if a friend can help install it or if I'm going to be on my own.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #18
Site Team

Does anybody know how ARV dealt with the 240VAC->120VAC issue with the Houghton? Did they get them to build a 120VAC version? Or, are they using some kind of voltage converter?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does anybody know how ARV dealt with the 240VAC->120VAC issue with the Houghton? Did they get them to build a 120VAC version? Or, are they using some kind of voltage converter?
I asked and was told they were set up for 120. I'm assuming that means Houghton is building a 120VAC version. I don't think ARV would waste their time installing a voltage converter just to turn around and sell the ACs for a slight markup.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #20
Platinum Member

As far as I know Australia has 50Hz frequency, it could have issue running at 60Hz, I would think this was addressed.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote