Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 AM   #81
Platinum Member

Default I'm NOT worried about In Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
That is an interesting bit of info. Unless things have changed, Dish only did residential satellite internet service that was actually provided by local internet providers or satellite service. The new Ka band HughesNet Mobile satellite internet has only been available from value added resellers who support moving the location regularly.
I setup an In Reach account...and I'll treat this like any other "insurance"... they can locate you anywhere...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:28 AM   #82
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I setup an In Reach account...and I'll treat this like any other "insurance"... they can locate you anywhere...
I am confused...

How does this relate to mobile satellite internet service?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am confused...

How does this relate to mobile satellite internet service?

Greg, I've read that cell phone over WiFi on satellite will not work well due to the inherent higher latency..

I've never heard of any satellite TV provider offering cellphone service like the major carriers like AT and T, Verizon, etc.. you can make calls over the WiFi network ... and they market this as VOIP calls in your house... or home network when connected to the Ethernet.... little different story ...this will explain it better...

At home.. WiFi calling is easy...

https://www.exede.com/blog/wi-fi-cal...lite-internet/

That's why when you leave your house you're transferred to your local cellphone provider...

Dish Network is great at providing satellite TV service..and you can certainly get an antenna for your RV and have it setup as an extra room in your house for a nominal fee...

The In Reach network is not on the same system...it uses the Iridium Satellite Network ..it's a worldwide telecommunications satellite.. there's many of them and they recently launched five more of them..

Iridium has been around for 20 years..they are the leading edge technology for satellite phones... in Reach uses a very small band of their network for text message communication..it is foolproof ...

While you can certainly get a true satellite phone on the Iridium Satellite Network...the cost per minute is very high...so, the In Reach network is a safe and alternative backup for a regular cellphone....

https://www.iridium.com/

---MARK
Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 AM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Greg, I've read that cell phone over WiFi on satellite will not work well due to the inherent higher latency..

I've never heard of any satellite TV provider offering cellphone service like the major carriers like AT and T, Verizon, etc.. you can make calls over the WiFi network ... and they market this as VOIP calls in your house... or home network when connected to the Ethernet.... little different story ...this will explain it better...

At home.. WiFi calling is easy...

https://www.exede.com/blog/wi-fi-cal...lite-internet/

That's why when you leave your house you're transferred to your local cellphone provider...

Dish Network is great at providing satellite TV service..and you can certainly get an antenna for your RV and have it setup as an extra room in your house for a nominal fee...

The In Reach network is not on the same system...it uses the Iridium Satellite Network ..it's a worldwide telecommunications satellite.. there's many of them and they recently launched five more of them..

Iridium has been around for 20 years..they are the leading edge technology for satellite phones... in Reach uses a very small band of their network for text message communication..it is foolproof ...

While you can certainly get a true satellite phone on the Iridium Satellite Network...the cost per minute is very high...so, the In Reach network is a safe and alternative backup for a regular cellphone....

https://www.iridium.com/

---MARK
I understand how they all work.

The specific question was whether or not Dish Network offers a mobile satellite internet service? When you sign up for a residential Dish satellite TV account they offer the option of also getting internet service but I don’t believe it is provided directly by Dish, I think it is provided by a local internet provider which could be satellite internet from HughesNet if there are no local cable internet options. The question was whether you could get both a Dish TV system and also a HughesNet internet system for an RV through Dish since they offer internet too. Unless things have changed, HughesNet residential service is supported directly by HughesNet but mobile service has only been available from value added resellers who provide instructions on pointing antennas and support moving your location to access a different spot beam.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Default Cellphone calls over Hughes Net when you're NOT home.....

Quote:
I understand how they all work.

The specific question was whether or not Dish Network offers a mobile satellite internet service? When you sign up for a residential Dish satellite TV account they offer the option of also getting internet service but I don’t believe it is provided directly by Dish, I think it is provided by a local internet provider which could be satellite internet from HughesNet if there are no local cable internet options. The question was whether you could get both a Dish TV system and also a HughesNet internet system for an RV through Dish since they offer internet too. Unless things have changed, HughesNet residential service is supported directly by HughesNet but mobile service has only been available from value added resellers who provide instructions on pointing antennas and support moving your location to access a different spot beam.
Greg, I'm not sure you can make a cellphone call using the Hughes Net Satellite Network when you are away from your router or gateway... AND that's the point I'm making....

If you think I'm wrong tell me..I can handle it..... to the best of my knowledge... the only way to make a cellphone call when there's NO cell towers is via a true satellite phone like the Iridium Satellite Network...

---MARK
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Greg, I'm not sure you can make a cellphone call using the Hughes Net Satellite Network when you are away from your router or gateway... AND that's the point I'm making....

If you think I'm wrong tell me..I can handle it..... to the best of my knowledge... the only way to make a cellphone call when there's NO cell towers is via a true satellite phone like the Iridium Satellite Network...

---MARK
Not sure how a question on satellite internet service turned into a question of phone calls? I was trying to relate your response to the question that was being asked and didn’t see any correlation between the two...

In any case, yes, if you want to make a normal phone call (not voice over the internet) you need access to a cell phone tower or use a satellite phone.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure how a question on satellite internet service turned into a question of phone calls? I was trying to relate your response to the question that was being asked and didn’t see any correlation between the two...

In any case, yes, if you want to make a normal phone call (not voice over the internet) you need access to a cell phone tower or use a satellite phone.
Greg.... let's review the original question I posted , SHALL WE???

Default Does "no cell service" have you worried in some locales?
Last fall, we traveled across the USA ... and in some remote places like Wyoming and South Dakota.. we had absolutely NO cell service let alone internet

Fortunately, we didn't have a problem, but, you just never know?

I called our cell phone provider, Google Project Fi, and they said.. FCC regulations require that our phone will be picked up by any carrier even if we don't have service ... by calling 911 in an emergency.

It's my understanding that Verizon has the most robust network even in rural areas, so, I just hope that if we need to call 911 under these circumstances a tower will be available to route our call.

What's your emergency plan?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY whole issue was no access to contacting the AAA in case of a break down....SO....
Yes, making a cellphone connection in case of any emergency was the whole issue......

In Reach solved this for me.....
Old 06-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Greg.... let's review the original question I posted , SHALL WE???

Default Does "no cell service" have you worried in some locales?
Last fall, we traveled across the USA ... and in some remote places like Wyoming and South Dakota.. we had absolutely NO cell service let alone internet

Fortunately, we didn't have a problem, but, you just never know?

I called our cell phone provider, Google Project Fi, and they said.. FCC regulations require that our phone will be picked up by any carrier even if we don't have service ... by calling 911 in an emergency.

It's my understanding that Verizon has the most robust network even in rural areas, so, I just hope that if we need to call 911 under these circumstances a tower will be available to route our call.

What's your emergency plan?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY whole issue was no access to contacting the AAA in case of a break down....SO....
Yes, making a cellphone connection in case of any emergency was the whole issue......

In Reach solved this for me.....
Focus on posts 80, 81, and 82 and see if you can see why one of your responses confused me and why I asked for clarification...

I have yet to understand your comment 81 in the context of 80...

But that is neither here or there...

Continue with regularly scheduled programming ...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Has anyone tried the GlocalMe cellular hotspot device, for instance during travel into Canada or Mexico? I can't find that term on this entire forum.

I'm curious because it gets surprisingly good reviews on Amazon. It popped up because I ordered a Netgear Jetpack 7730L directly from Verizon, which they then proceeded to not deliver timely. When I went to look for an aftermarket seller instead, this GlocalMe device popped up in my Amazon feed.

https://www.glocalme.com/
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #90
Platinum Member

We've been looking for means for extending our cell phone internet (hotspot) coverage. GlocalMe doesn't seem to address that issue. It looks merely to be yet another vendor 'repackaging' Verizon or AT&T under a private label. And, frankly, $35 "USD" doesn't seem to be a very attractive deal for just 4gigs. Are we missing something?
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
We've been looking for means for extending our cell phone internet (hotspot) coverage. GlocalMe doesn't seem to address that issue. It looks merely to be yet another vendor 'repackaging' Verizon or AT&T under a private label. And, frankly, $35 "USD" doesn't seem to be a very attractive deal for just 4gigs. Are we missing something?
I suspect GlocalMe is accessing multiple carriers simultaneously, so yes, you might be missing something, because if they are, that could offer a breadth of coverage that other sources do not. On the domestic side, we are limited to the single carrier with which we have contracted. My husband or I are frequently out of luck, in that one or the other of us has coverage in remote areas, but not both (I have Verizon, he has AT&T). Same is true in some foreign contexts, depending on reciprocity agreements (which are largely unknown to the end user).

I don't know that GlocalMe is pooling carriers, though, which is why I asked if anyone else has ever used it. Something has led to the relatively good reviews on Amazon. I'm not sure what that is.

And as for the gig price, that is secondary to reception in this context. The core question is, can one get reception in a remote area to start with? How best to do that?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote