Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default This might be great if you're a FULL TIMER??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
It is available but not cheap...

Welcome to MobileInternetSatellite.com!
Yes, just talked with them above....it's $90 per month for 10 GB off of the satellite dish anytime in the Continental US....

Not cost effective for my situation..... but, yes, it covers the entire USA ...

Not worldwide..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Default A lot has changed in the last 20 to 30 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain_M View Post
When i was young and until 20 some years ago, there was only one wall mounted phone in the house and pay phones on the road and I have survived. I'm fine with not having cellular and data connection for a few days ...Your 1st line of defense is to be prepared to handle some emergencies all by yourself. Sometime it means carrying a compass and matches while hiking...
I agree that it's always good to be prepared... but, I also think that redundancy is a good idea... and while "rugged individualism" is something to be admired..it pays to be smart about what you can and cannot do....

There's very few people around like "Paladin" from "Have Gun Will Travel"...so, you see I'm giving my age away with that comment.....

I definitely believe in keeping my vehicle in tip top shape.. but, things happen....
Old 06-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I just got off the phone with GEOS...in case you're unaware, GEOS is a worldwide company specifically designed for emergency rescue operations.... I called them to ask IF they considered being mechanically disabled with your vehicle to be a true emergency.. they're repsonse is "YES"...and they said they would contact the AAA with the location of your vehicle for response....

If they think it's appropriate...you had better believe that the 911 folks would have the same answer....

Let me elaborate... you're in the desert running low on water... your vehicle breaks down...you are certainly not going to tell me that this is NOT an emergency? Or, maybe, you're calling 911 or GEOS because your life is in danger...

These guys are in the emergency repsonse business.. that's what they do...

Finally, CB Radios really went out of fashion for lots of reasons...one very glaring one was that they are an open channel so anyone listening could hear that you are broken down somewhere...I know you may find this hard to believe, but, I've actually heard of cases where some crooks went to the location of the disabled vehicle and robbed the people and drove away...At least with a cellphone or a device called into a central emergency call center or AAA...this is NOT going to happen...

Ditch the ham radio....it's very old school and definitely not secure communication...
HAM radio is the still the best option for long distance ground based communication but does require taking a test for a license and most people are not that interested in it to study and take the test. HAM radio does require more knowledge to use since you will be using a repeater in most remote areas to get coverage. HAM radio is not secure but I sure wouldn’t worry about bad guys monitoring HAM radio to find stranded motorists to rob...

In any case, if you are really worried about getting help in an emergency when there is no cell service you should also expect to have no other means of ground based communication and go with a satellite based system.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
In any case, if you are really worried about getting help in an emergency when there is no cell service you should also expect to have no other means of ground based communication and go with a satellite based system.
I think that's right. If you really need or want 100% coverage, the Iridium-based solutions are the only rational choices right now--the others are hobbies or science experiments.

As has been said, this issue will be gone in a few years with the currently-being-deployed LEO sat Internet services. Just hang in there.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #45
Platinum Member

OK...This is an interesting thread with some ebb and flows. Honestly, some of the discussion about the technical aspects of cell boosters and such was a little over my pay grade. This is how I plan to use my cell phone(when I actually get an RV).

I have Verizon wireless with unlimited data. I'll use my Galaxy S8 as a hot spot to connect my computer, smart TV, and other gadgets. I don't plan on using WIFI at campgrounds. What would be the best set-up for my situation to enhance the 4G LTE signal?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
OK...This is an interesting thread with some ebb and flows. Honestly, some of the discussion about the technical aspects of cell boosters and such was a little over my pay grade. This is how I plan to use my cell phone(when I actually get an RV).

I have Verizon wireless with unlimited data. I'll use my Galaxy S8 as a hot spot to connect my computer, smart TV, and other gadgets. I don't plan on using WIFI at campgrounds. What would be the best set-up for my situation to enhance the 4G LTE signal?
You have unlimited data on your phone but check to see if you have unlimited data when you are using it as a hotspot. Current plans limit hotspot data to 15 GB, as I recall, and then have a hard throttle. You could have an older plan with unlimited data when using it as a hotspot. You will want to connect your phone to your TV with an HDMI cable to use your unlimited data for video streaming.

I’ll let someone else explain MIMO antennas vs cell signal boosters but with your phone you will be limited to a cell booster unless your phone has two antenna ports.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:15 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Default OK, don't want to wait a few years for something that may or may not be coming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I think that's right. If you really need or want 100% coverage, the Iridium-based solutions are the only rational choices right now--the others are hobbies or science experiments.

As has been said, this issue will be gone in a few years with the currently-being-deployed LEO sat Internet services. Just hang in there.
YES... I've heard that before... just wait until we build you a rocket ship that is capable of going to the next galaxy.. when all I need is a speed boat right now.

I agree with you 100 percent that this Iridium device using two way text messages is the best bet price wise right now. It's an inexpensive back up for my Project Fi phone.. will only cost me $15 per month... I couldn't even have upgraded to the Verizon Network for less than this.

And, Verizon is not everywhere... it's in a lot of places, but, NOT everywhere.

So, if my cell service, Project Fi doesn't work and I have an emergency, I'll just call 911.. but, if there's NO CELL TOWERS for anyone including Verizon, I'm covered with the satellite device... it doesn't need anything except a sky..

Pairs with my cell phone using Earthmate as well and has built in maps. Just picked this up today.

Never hurts to have a back up. These are $75 off at REI until June 16, 2018, and supplies are limited. I have to say.... REI is one of those stores that backs everything they sell.... If you want one, pick it up before the sale ends.

NO... I don't work for REI... just a satisfied client of theirs, I've found a lot of stuff there to be very helpful.

A link to the Iridium satellites in orbit right now.

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=iridium#MAP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garmin In Reach Explorer June 6, 2018.jpg (137.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
YES... I've heard that before... just wait until we build you a rocket ship that is capable of going to the next galaxy.. when all I need is a speed boat right now.

I agree with you 100 percent that this Iridium device using two way text messages is the best bet price wise right now. It's an inexpensive back up for my Project Fi phone.. will only cost me $15 per month... I couldn't even have upgraded to the Verizon Network for less than this.

And, Verizon is not everywhere... it's in a lot of places, but, NOT everywhere.

So, if my cell service, Project Fi doesn't work and I have an emergency, I'll just call 911.. but, if there's NO CELL TOWERS for anyone including Verizon, I'm covered with the satellite device... it doesn't need anything except a sky..

Pairs with my cell phone using Earthmate as well and has built in maps. Just picked this up today.

Never hurts to have a back up. These are $75 off at REI until June 16, 2018, and supplies are limited. I have to say.... REI is one of those stores that backs everything they sell.... If you want one, pick it up before the sale ends.

NO... I don't work for REI... just a satisfied client of theirs, I've found a lot of stuff there to be very helpful.

A link to the Iridium satellites in orbit right now.

IRIDIUMS - Satellites and Flares - ONLINE 3D REAL TIME TRACKING
Been an REI member for 48 years and it is a great company and the yearly dividend is nice. Over the years they have gotten more strict about the return policy which is reasonable since they regularly had people returning well used equipment for replacement due to normal wear and tear under their liberal return policy.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #49
BBQ
Platinum Member

If you want to be connected at all times

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

If you want to be connected at all times

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

Do you need additional service of some sort to go along with the hardware?

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Do you need additional service of some sort to go along with the hardware?
Yes, you need a service plan for the Spot X, similar prices to the InReach. The reviews of the Spot X are not good so far compared to an Inreach in terms of getting reliable two way text communication but it is a new product so it may improve over time or it may not if the issues are inherent in their hardware design.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #52
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

We have TMobil over 55 plan. Not full timers but do gravel around. Have never had service problem. We did with Verizon.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We have TMobil over 55 plan. Not full timers but do gravel around. Have never had service problem. We did with Verizon.

We have this plan as well and prob the best bargain for 2 over 55.

The issue for us is almost all camping we have done is outside cell service regardless of the carrier. We both have aging parents and like the idea of knowing we can be reached if necessary. Like the safety too if we get lost in the woods or mountains as well.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have unlimited data on your phone but check to see if you have unlimited data when you are using it as a hotspot. Current plans limit hotspot data to 15 GB, as I recall, and then have a hard throttle. You could have an older plan with unlimited data when using it as a hotspot. You will want to connect your phone to your TV with an HDMI cable to use your unlimited data for video streaming.

I’ll let someone else explain MIMO antennas vs cell signal boosters but with your phone you will be limited to a cell booster unless your phone has two antenna ports.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I looked into my account and learned that with my unlimited data plan I also have unlimited hotspot but it's capped to speeds of 600kbps. Not ideal and limits me to basic online actiivites, certainly no streaming of any kind. Your suggestion of streaming from the phone via HDMI is probably the best route for me.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
I also have unlimited hotspot but it's capped to speeds of 600kbps. Not ideal and limits me to basic online actiivites, certainly no streaming of any kind.
The Slingbox will stream reliably with that bandwidth. It is extremely good at adapting the compression to line conditions. Of course, the picture will be pretty dodgy, but lots better than nothing.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
We have this plan as well and prob the best bargain for 2 over 55.

The issue for us is almost all camping we have done is outside cell service regardless of the carrier. We both have aging parents and like the idea of knowing we can be reached if necessary. Like the safety too if we get lost in the woods or mountains as well.
This is very interesting; the T-Mobile website claims 140 countries coverage but no details without signing up. I will sign up, this plan could be our best option to provide coverage for NA and EU.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Default Spot X

Quote:
Yes, you need a service plan for the Spot X, similar prices to the InReach. The reviews of the Spot X are not good so far compared to an Inreach in terms of getting reliable two way text communication but it is a new product so it may improve over time or it may not if the issues are inherent in their hardware design.

Spot X is NOT using the Iridium Satellite Network....

Spot X uses GPS technology that is NOT as robust as the Iridium Satellite
Network....

Read this article...

https://www.wildsnow.com/10280/satph...me-globalstar/

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=115

If you want 100 percent coverage without fail, your only option is In Reach.

PLUS.. from what I've read Spot X is more expensive at $14.99 per month vs. $11.95 per month for Garmin In Reach on an annual basis.

Big difference is the network and cost of devices.

Check out both plans for yourself.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103
Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:

Network....

Read this article...

https://www.wildsnow.com/10280/satph...me-globalstar/

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=115

PLUS.. from what I've read Spot X is more expensive at $14.99 per month vs. $11.95 per month for Garmin In Reach on an annual basis.

Big difference is the network and cost of devices.

Check out both plans for yourself.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103
I have a Delorme Inreach and it has always worked well everywhere from Florida to Denali NP, never an issue with getting coverage and communicating with family...
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Default It's true.... Garmin (formerly Delorme) InReach is the best service!

Quote:
I have a Delorme Inreach and it has always worked well everywhere from Florida to Denali NP, never an issue with getting coverage and communicating with family...

Purchased the Garmin InReach Explorer + from REI .. and activated it yesterday. The guys at REI said that In Reach has NEVER failed to work.

As far as I'm concerned, it's like "long term care" insurance... I hope I never have to use this thing... and I'll keep this either with me on hikes or driving in the RV on trips...

My cell phone provider, Project Fi, uses the T-Mobile towers..which are OK in major cities, but, not so much in rural areas or off then main highways.

In case of an emergency even without my own cell phone coverage, you can certainly call 911 and by law the local cell phone carrier must route the call through... trouble is... there's places where there are no cell phone towers.

Thankfully, the satellite technology does not use this.... yeah, it's just a text message, but, once you send it they know your location.... it's a great back up. For about $150 per year... if it would save my life in an emergency, and I'm out in the woods with a problem.. it's worth spending the money on.
You do everything else maintenance wise on your vehicles... don't forget to cover yourself...especially in the boonies.

You just cannot rely on other people to save you.... nice thought though.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:

Network....

Yes Spot is a subsidiary of Globalstar and (obviously) uses their LEO satellite system. Its coverage is not nearly as good as Iridium's.

Nit: They both use the same GPS system--it is only the satellite uplink that is different. So, they both are equally good at telling you where you are. But Spot is much worse at telling others this information.