Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #1

Default Does placement matter for safety?

Hey all. I know I saw something on this here, but can't find it. Is bathroom/large box behind the
driver safer/better than on the passanger side or
is it more a matter of personal preference?
If you have an opinion one way or the other I'd love to hear it!
Thanks!
Mousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does placement matter for safety?

For a daily driving vehicle, more visible windows down the passenger side (no tall structures) would be better I'd say. That configuration might help a bit when parallel parking and at junctions that aren't at right angles.
The two B vans I've had had tall structures on both sides and it is not bad, but I'd give the edge to more visibility on the passenger side. You use your side mirrors a lot with either configuration.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
For a daily driving vehicle, more visible windows down the passenger side (no tall structures) would be better I'd say. That configuration might help a bit when parallel parking and at junctions that aren't at right angles.
The two B vans I've had had tall structures on both sides and it is not bad, but I'd give the edge to more visibility on the passenger side. You use your side mirrors a lot with either configuration.
The personal preference side of it gets argued to death, with many folks insanely insistent on which side it should be on. No matter which side you like, the reasons are not any where near as cut and dried as folks believe.

As far as the safety goes. If they break loose in a crash, you are squished either way. The visibility thing may make a difference to some, but it wouldn't for me. I have driven the B's with the kitchen on the passenger side, and I could not see well enough to assure there was not a vehicle there, especially something like a motorcycle. Since I can't see well enough to make a safe lane change, it doesn't matter if the rear side window is not visible. We have a Roadtrek 190P on the Chevy chassis, kitchen on the driver side. The passenger side mirror is a bit parabolic and has no blind spot if adjusted properly, plus you aren't taking your eyes off the road to look behind you. The driver's side mirror is flat and you can't get it adjusted to get rid of all the blind spots on that side, so we have a small parabolic mounted on it. I adjust the drivers side mirror so I can just see the rear corner of the van, and behind us. The small parabolic catches the only blind spot, which is right along side us, but out a little. I drive entirely on the mirrors. Marco's example of non right angle entries is the only thing that can not be readily seen in the mirrors, without leaning over a little bit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Silver Member

Hi Mousehouse,
I like the Kitchen on the passanger side not because of driving, I use the mirrors, but because of the unobstructed view of the campsite when we are stopped.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Hi Mousehouse,
I like the Kitchen on the passanger side not because of driving, I use the mirrors, but because of the unobstructed view of the campsite when we are stopped.
I have a complete unobstructed view of the campground as well. My kitchen is on the driver's side. There are a bank of windows front to back on the driver's side.

Different vehicles, different manufactures, different floor plans.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote