Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Dometic fridge auto selections

We don't use our fridge in the traditional sense, to keep larger quantities of food from spoiling while traveling from place to place. While on the road we usually just keep bottled water, pop, or beer cold in it, or maybe to keep some leftover salads/pastries cool, and we run it on DC while driving to do so (as most probably do). I have forgotten to switch it off DC at the fridge control panel, after stopping for the night, and have wondered why the batteries are so low when I get up in the middle of the night (force of habit to check the systems status at the monitor panel when nearby). It's a (dim ) light bulb moment, usually.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Here is the 2005 Pleasure-Way Plateau battery disconnect switch located in a cabinet under the sofa bed ottoman in the back of the van.

Here is a new Great West Van Legend battery disconnect switch located under the kitchen cabinet with the sliding door open.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
We don't use our fridge in the traditional sense, to keep larger quantities of food from spoiling while traveling from place to place. While on the road we usually just keep bottled water, pop, or beer cold in it, or maybe to keep some leftover salads/pastries cool, and we run it on DC while driving to do so (as most probably do). I have forgotten to switch it off DC at the fridge control panel, after stopping for the night, and have wondered why the batteries are so low when I get up in the middle of the night (force of habit to check the systems status at the monitor panel when nearby). It's a (dim ) light bulb moment, usually.
Thus why the automated 3-way instead of manual Dometic and back to topic.

We have a routine and primary responsibilities for stopping and getting underway, and we check each other for redundancy after we've done them. We also hang reminder "bees" (little stuffed toy bees) on things that have to be attended to such as lowering the TV antenna. After we pull out of a site, we do a visual inspection of the campsite to make sure nothing has been left behind. We haven't gone so far as checking off a list like I know some people do.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I don't have to walk as far to get to my battery disconnect switch, as I do to my fridge control dials. It's a full step farther down the main aisle to the fridge, than it is to the monitor panel. That's why I use it.

re: those battery disconnect locations. ugly. ours is actually a disable which probably uses an electric switch or solenoid/relay of some sort, not a physical disconnect like the ones in the picture. I can hear the solenoid/relay engage and disengage when I use ours. Yours look like the 300A-500A models you can buy at Advanced Auto, AutoZone, etc., and are heavy duty physical cable disconnects, capable of handling the arcing that occurs when those types of switches are used. They're probably a pita to replace, too.

re: back to topic. Use DC while driving to run your fridges, and leave the auto AC/Propane power source selection switch disabled, if possible. If that doesn't work, buy a big bag of ice, split it up and place it inside your fridge/freezer, and don't use power with your fridge while driving.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Platinum Member

So, you are saying you prefer to shut down your whole B, including detectors, alarms, lighting, outlets, heater, etc. just to turn off DC on your refrigerator?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Maybe a compromise would be having a disconnect switch just for the refrigerator? Perhaps a DPST or DPDT type of switch so 120 volts and 12 volts can be disconnected at the same time, or if one is sure that it won't get 120VAC unless on generator or shore power, a regular battery disconnect switch can do.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
So, you are saying you prefer to shut down your whole B, including detectors, alarms, lighting, outlets, heater, etc. just to turn off DC on your refrigerator?
That is what this is all about, if you just shut off the DC on the frig, it switches to AC or propane and will try to light. To be safe you have to use the on/off button. But, as folks have said, you still have a water heater that may try to light if it is on but not totally hot. Turning off the entire coach (there is no penalty that I know of) is very easy in our Roadtrek, and is as foolproof as you can get.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #28
Platinum Member

To keep from exploding at the gas/diesel/propane filling stations?
Yes. I think it's a small sacrifice to pay for your family's safety. Particularly if you have an automatic AC/Propane selector that might fire up the propane, or accidentally fire up the furnace or water heater.

Some may prefer to rationalize the other options for shutting off any flame/spark related systems, but I'd rather not end up like the couple at this filling station who spilled a few drops of gasoline into the back of the fridge area, while the propane was on, and burned their rig to the ground. It's not exactly the scenario this thread was started about. Or, was it?
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...CLES/100329598
While this sort of thing might be rare, it does and can happen to anyone.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Just turn the whole refrigerator off. I can do that with my 3-way. Push and hold the button 2 seconds until the idiot lights go out. Even if a refrigerator is an automated one you still have to be able to shut it off without shutting down the B. Unless your disconnect switch is easily accessible while sitting in the driver's seat then shutting down the whole B makes little sense to me because you have to get up and walk back into the coach anyway.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Gold Member

On my PW van I have propane switch - it's on the outside of the coach in the compartment with the electrical plug & cable hook up - when I'm planning on getting fuel I switch the fridge to DC and jump out and shut off the propane. That way none of the propane appliances can or will ignite. I try to do this at the last stop before refueling or when I set out in the morning for a day long drive.

I have put the fridge on DC to drive and forgotten and stopped for over an hour and yes, it killed my battery and I didn't realize it until the next day b/c I didn't drive enough after to fully charge it, but it appeared charged.

I do not keep my fridge on auto. ever. One time I was dry camping and I had the propane fail to ignite in the middle of the night. Since the fridge was set to LP it alarmed when it couldn't ignite. Yes, it woke me up, but I was glad it didn't automatically switch over to DC and drain the battery. I never would have noticed that the fridge was running on DC until battery was dead - and even then it probably wouldn't have occurred to me that the fridge was the culprit.

teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote