Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Dometic Fridge Question - just curious

I have a Dometic 3 way fridge which, despite its vintage, 1995, works wonderfully well in all 3 modes, but I have a question, mostly out of curiosity.
In Indiana last month with temperatures in the high 30's (C) and overnight lows in the mid 20's, I had the thermostat cranked to 6 to maintain a reasonably cool fridge temperature, and the frozen stuff frozen. In the Alberta Rockies this week with highs in the mid 20's and lows perhaps 10, I had to turn the thermostat way down to 2 or 3 to avoid freezing temps in the fridge. I generally need to adjust the setting accordion to the outside temperature. The thermostat seems to function more as a power, be it electric or propane, input controller than an actual thermostat (which would set and attempt to maintain a given temperature regardless of the ambient temp.
So, no operational problems at all, but does anyone know if the dial is really a thermostat, or does it modify the power input?

Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dometic Fridge Question - just curious

My Dometic fridge is a similar age. In the spare parts list it shows a Thermostat which is controlled by a knob on the front of the fridge. From my manual:

Quote:
The Thermostat
The electric thermostat is combined with the gas thermostat and is thus operated by the knob B at the front panel. The temperature in the refrigerator can be regulated by turning the thermostat knob to higher or lower numbers. Although the exact setting is not critical choose a setting at which the frost which gradually forms on the cooling evaporator is just maintained in dry condition. It will be necessary to set the thermostat knob one or two numbers higher when the ambient temperature becomes higher or the load unusually heavy. If less cooling is required a lower setting should be chosen.
I use a small wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer to easily know when to adjust the thermostat on the fridge. The outdoor part goes in the fridge and the indoor part is mounted on a wall near the fridge. Most nights I turn the thermostat knob lower and then turn it up a bit during the day to keep up the days heat and us opening the fridge more often. I read on the web that the ideal refrigerator temperature is between 35 and 38 degrees F (1.7 to 3.3 degrees C).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thanks, Marco. Seems like we both operate the fridge in a similar manner in adjusting the setting as the ambient temperature changes. I switch anywhere between settings of 2 and 6. On really hot days, though, I'm happy if I can keep the fridge at 10 degrees C, rather than 2 or 3. Near zero is too cold for my beer taste anyway.
On a separate note, since there have been many posts in the past about using DC or propane when driving, I keep my fridge on DC on the road, and, because of the solar panel on the roof, I know I can leave it on DC for 3 to 4 hours when stopped and still maintain the battery well above 80%. The solar takes the worry out of "Oops, I forgot to turn off the fridge while we stopped for lunch".
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Similar here again
Only difference is I use the AC setting on the fridge and it is powered by the inverter. It uses more current though. Probably a 5 amp hr deficit from what is coming in from the solar panels on mine. My fridge controls are down by the floor so it is much easier to use the inverter for me. The inverter switch is easily reached by the driver or passenger in the van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

" because of the solar panel on the roof, I know I can leave it on DC for 3 to 4 hours when stopped and still maintain the battery well above 80%. The solar takes the worry out of "Oops, I forgot to turn off the fridge while we stopped for lunch" What size panel are you using?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Gold Member

90 watt through a charge controller that takes all the stress out of maintaing/recharging the battery.