Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1
Default Don

I am a brand new motor home owner. Just bought a RoadTrek Simplicity SRT -- and then backed it into a rock! (Still need to get used to backing up such a large vehicle w/ no backup camera.) The collision knocked loose the power plug at the back of the RV, i.e. the plug to which you plug in the power cord that connects to shore power. Other than the plug (and the metal housing and bracket that surround it) being knocked off of their attachment to the vehicle undercarriage, and hanging loose, they do not appear to be damaged, at least externally. Could there be internal electrical components inside the plug that might have been damaged? Should I just plug it into shore power to see if it still works? Thanks for any advice....
__________________

donrecveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrecveh View Post
I am a brand new motor home owner. Just bought a RoadTrek Simplicity SRT -- and then backed it into a rock! (Still need to get used to backing up such a large vehicle w/ no backup camera.) The collision knocked loose the power plug at the back of the RV, i.e. the plug to which you plug in the power cord that connects to shore power. Other than the plug (and the metal housing and bracket that surround it) being knocked off of their attachment to the vehicle undercarriage, and hanging loose, they do not appear to be damaged, at least externally. Could there be internal electrical components inside the plug that might have been damaged? Should I just plug it into shore power to see if it still works? Thanks for any advice....
No backup camera-my zion has it built in?
__________________

gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrecveh View Post
I am a brand new motor home owner. Just bought a RoadTrek Simplicity SRT -- and then backed it into a rock! (Still need to get used to backing up such a large vehicle w/ no backup camera.) The collision knocked loose the power plug at the back of the RV, i.e. the plug to which you plug in the power cord that connects to shore power. Other than the plug (and the metal housing and bracket that surround it) being knocked off of their attachment to the vehicle undercarriage, and hanging loose, they do not appear to be damaged, at least externally. Could there be internal electrical components inside the plug that might have been damaged? Should I just plug it into shore power to see if it still works? Thanks for any advice....
\

Power it up from any receptacle that has a GFI and if there is an internal short, it will trigger the GFI breaker,.

The Simplicity has no backup camera? I thought DOT was now requiring all vehicles to have a backup camera as standard equipment.

Maybe they should rename it the Duplicity.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
No backup camera-my zion has it built in?
IT is a Simplicity SRT.
RT makes it as cheap as possible.

But no backup camera? mmm... that's over the board cheap.


Please get a third party camera
Off the shelf.
Cheap.
Easy installation.
Lot of video on youtube.

I cannot see how anyone (non-professional) can drive an RV without a backup camera these days.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
\

::
The Simplicity has no backup camera? I thought DOT was now requiring all vehicles to have a backup camera as standard equipment.

::

2018 is the mandate year.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
No backup camera-my zion has it built in?
I confirmed that in the interest of lowering the price point, the Simplicity has no backup camera. The hapless owner gets to save a few bucks on the purchase so that during ownership, he/she can spend thousands repairing the bashed up rear end. This has got to be a leading candidate for the annual Darwin Bad Idea of the Year Award.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 37
Default

Note that he indicates he has the Simplicity SRT. I have a 2016 Simplicity and it has the backup camera. Apparently, the SRT loses even more options that would appear basic in such a large vehicle. What a PITA for a new owner to discover after purchase.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner1973 View Post
Note that he indicates he has the Simplicity SRT. I have a 2016 Simplicity and it has the backup camera. Apparently, the SRT loses even more options that would appear basic in such a large vehicle. What a PITA for a new owner to discover after purchase.
Couldn't agree more. It's not an entertainment toy. It's a safety device.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 681
Default

The back-up camera is no guarantee you won't back into something....yeah, been there, done that with a '15 210 - with 1K miles. Took out some of the ground skirting, ouch. I had my wife with me.....she didn't say any - for days!!! We all have things go wrong, you'll get over it. What makes me to pay attention was the cost of the replacement skirting, painted, etc....oh yeah, installation. Go to Amazon and get a Wireless Back-Up - and be careful, ha! Ron
__________________
Ron J. Moore
'15 RT210P
Ron J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 554
Default

Through Amazon I installed backup sensors two cameras and a 7" screen for around $100. worth every penny.
__________________

mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.