Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #1

Default Drinking Water

I would like to know if you drink the water in your fresh water tank or do you carrry water in other containers to drink. If you drink the water in your fresh water tank do you use some kind of filtering system or do you take it straight out of the tank. I also would like to know if you drink the water, is it only the water you fill your tank with at home if you are a part timer. Will you fill your tank at RV parks and drink that water. Any info you can share would be appreciated
jmrjfr43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We don't drink the water in our fresh water tank. We carry bottled water fro drinking. We have plenty of space for it. If I didn't have space I'd probably put in a filter.

At home we drink tap water from a Brita pitcher.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We use our tank for drinking and don't have a filter. I clean it every spring to make sure it is good enough for drinking water. I prefer to use water from my house but if we get low, I will fill it from a campground that has good water. With 3 kids, we use a lot of water and don't have room to store bottled.

I have been thinking about installing a filter. We put one in our main house water line to get rid of the chlorine smell and sediment from broken water mains. It makes a big difference.

One think I will mention is, the previous owner of our RV installed an electric pump. It's nice not to have to hand pump but he installed regular rubber hose. The taste of the hose was bad enough that I replaced all the hoses to make the water taste a lot better.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We take bottled water just for drinking/cooking. We try to stay with brands that are national and that we've used before.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

I just ordered a campging filter and one of those Steri-Pens so that we can drink water from our tanks or any source. There have been too many times on travels in the past where one of us has picked up a bug from water somewhere. I would rather not risk getting sick on the road, and in the long run, it's cheaper to buy the pen and filter than it has been purchasing and storing bottled water.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We use the F/W tank regularly - both drinking & cooking. We sanitize it a couple of times per season and use an inline filter when hooked up. The only place we buy water in volume is FL. We have done this thru two previous TT's and it has worked for us.

Ron & Dot
2004 190P
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Drinking Water

To drink, or rarely make coffee, bottled. It's cheap and reliable. $0.07- $0.10/bottle on sale.
If we run out on the road, we would purchase more, but we've found 2X35 bottle cases seems
to be enough for us for up to 3 weeks. We also buy coffee, so we might not use as much on some days.
Fresh tank is cleaned, prepped, and filled, and we use it for non-consumptive purposes.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
g1g
Platinum Member

Never drank the water yet only used bottled. Who knows about future times. Thought we may have a larger container on long trips but we wouldn't be able to put it in the fridge as I like it cold
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Ok, so I filled fresh water tank from a hose at a campground with "potable" water. It smelled faintly of chlorine. Just for good measure I put one tablespoon of chlorine( bleach) in the tank at same time. This increased the chlorine smell somewhat. I had a Brita pitcher with me. In Montana I use this with our tap water and it improves flavor a lot. I used it a few times and drank the water, or cooked with it, always brushed my teeth with it-- no ill effects. This chlorine smell lasted through two refills of fresh water tank! So......... I think I'll use even less next season.
I bought drinking water in gallons- I feel it is wasteful to use the small bottles-- so much plastic. I'd buy 2-3 gallons of water- fill up 5-6 sports bottles, tuck them around the van- in the cab, near the bed,etc. An extra gallon fit in closet. After I bought 2 gals of Glacier brand, for 99c each, then I had nice water containers and could use the water dispensers where water was 25c a gal. I drink a gal about every 2-3 days so 2-3 gals would last me over a week.
Another trick I have done for yrs-- always carry at least one water bottle with you( sports bottles) - easy to carry in daypack or shoulder bag. i carry two 24 oz ones with sport tops. Then when you' re in a place with a drinking fountain, fill up-- usually it is good , filtered water. This helps the drinking water supply a lot.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote