Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #1

Default Drinking water hose storage

Just have a question about the storage of drinking water hose, filters, and connections. After use I store all these items in a separate non-vented Hefty sealed box in the back of my class B under the couch. Is there any danger of the water hose or filters growing mold between trips? It can go from comfortable to extremely hot inside any vehicle. Should the Hefty container be vented with a few holes? I've read many questions about sewer hose storage but none about drinking water hose storage. Thanks
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I coil up the hose and attacche the couplings together to seal out anything that could crawl in there. I leave the regulator and filter attached and store it in the long compartment from the outside. No mold issues in four+ years, I live in Fla.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
Gold Member

I do the same, thread the ends together. No problems.

There are bags made for jumper cables. I keep my fresh hose, the excess 30A cord and a set of snow chains in three bags stacked on top of each other. Works great.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the ideas and setting my mind at ease. I do appreciate it!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

We also connect hose ends together, but store filter in the frig...especially during hot weather...pretty sure the filter directions suggest this...

Keith
Keithmaryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Gold Member

I keep mine coiled up in a large trash bag. No problems yet, however, I don’t drink campground or tank water, so it’s no big deal to me.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'll add to the chorus of threading the two ends together. I put my hoses in with the other stuff in the "basement" well where the spare tire once was.

I've added a small pigtail to my water inlet-- a short length of hose-- it's kept attached to the inlet between uses, with a brass cap on the other end.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:43 AM   #8
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

As others have said, I just connect the two ends together and put in storage.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I live in the Deep South where things get moldy and slimy if you glance at them sideways. I made breathable storage bags for both the water hose and power cord (the latter gets plenty wet if the rig is hooked up in the rain).

Thumbnail of the bags middle left (this image was from a van accessory DIY contest that I did not win), and blog post here with simple sewing instructions. Some people buy canvas bags off the shelf, for the same reason - breathability.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #10

For those of you who live in warm, humid locales, you might consider using a plug-in ozinator. They work well in preventing mold in yachts even in the most demanding conditions world-wide. Basically, they are just a UV lamp with a circulating fan.
windymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post
Just have a question about the storage of drinking water hose, filters, and connections. After use I store all these items in a separate non-vented Hefty sealed box in the back of my class B under the couch. Is there any danger of the water hose or filters growing mold between trips? It can go from comfortable to extremely hot inside any vehicle. Should the Hefty container be vented with a few holes? I've read many questions about sewer hose storage but none about drinking water hose storage. Thanks
Probably a good idea to provided ventilation (holes) to your storage container, molds thrive in stagnant air and damp areas, good ventilation prevents potential moisture built up in the container. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

Thanks all. See, that's what I thought about ventilation holes. Everything is tied together which makes a 25' hose, even drained a small closed area. Then you put it into a small closed container which is locked up in a class B van, more closed containers getting to 100+ degrees. Maybe I'm driving myself crazy and I don't have far to go.