Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Driving Class B on parkways !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, I have a question about driving on parkways, i have a 1988 class B xplorer . can i drive on the parkways if my class b fits under the over passes or is there a law no campers are allowed . Because my camper with the a/c is about 10 feet high and most of the over passes are higher thanks for your feed back. John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

"Most" is the keyword. it only takes one to shear off your air conditioner. I encountered 9'-8" signs in Queens. I don't remember the specific law other than commercial vehicles and trucks not allowed on the Parkways.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks Davydd, I work in queens and i take the cross Island parkway. You are right i see the low over passes . I did not think that they were that low , i will stay away . The reason i am asking is that when i go down south i have to go all the way from the beginning of the N.J. turn pike . Thanks again
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have been on LI this week with our 105" campervan. Enough low spots that we decided to stay off parkways. Some are as low as 7'8".
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
We have been on LI this week with our 105" campervan. Enough low spots that we decided to stay off parkways. Some are as low as 7'8".

That is LOW !!!

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Others have said that east of JFK there are clearance problems. We use a parkway to get from the Verrazano Bridge to the Floyd Bennet Field campground with no problem. We require a little over 9ft. with a vent cover.

If you want to see NYC for $30 a day, $15 for old farts, that is the place to go. Services are limited, with no dump station, but showers are available with restricted hours (8-2)
(Data current 2015)
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Silver Member

Thanks for sharing this info. Mind if I ask, what are you driving?
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

in July 2001, we did a concert at Jones Beach- which is tricky because we have big trucks and busses- so can;t use the parkway which runs right past there.

after the show & loading out and packing the trucks- on exiting Jone beach there was road construction- one of our trucks was directed onto the parkway and soon afterwards about 20 feet of trailer were slammed into the bridge- enough where the truck was left in place until engineers could assess the bridge structure

support act Brian Wilson's gear was in the front of that trailer and just about every guitar was splintered.

the driver was found blameless- he was directed onto that road by a flagperson and the construction had removed or obscurred warning and clearance signs- and the bridge itself was made hard to see by lighting aimed into the eyes of drivers.

I figure NYC needs a wide berth!

With my added vent cover i am at 9'4" from my stock 8'10"

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

"Thanks for sharing this info. Mind if I ask, what are you driving?"

2003 Roadtrek Chevy 190P with an airflow vent cover.

It was a member of this forum that advised we were OK west of of JFK. I found his information to be accurate. The low clearance bridges were east of JFK. Drive only in the day and stay aware. If you screw up you will have to call the police to help you out of your situation. 7'8" bridges do exist.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
Site Team

We can thank the infamous Robert Moses for all those low underpasses. He wanted to make sure that places like Jones Beach were protected from the riffraff who were too poor to own cars and depended on busses. No clearance: No busses. No busses: no riffraff.

Very sad story, and only a small part of Moses' negative effect on the City.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Silver Member

Except in NY city area or the Garden State Parkway north of Tom's River. You will have no problem on any interstate. Restricted from some tunnels do to propane bottles.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Silver Member

Where are these 7'8" overpasses?

I'm in Brooklyn, I've seen some low ones in queens and in Brooklyn around Linden BLVD.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Maybe the knowledgable person will post but he said you were OK west of JFK. I live in Arizona with three trips to Long Island and I found the statement correct.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
Silver Member

After a bunch of checking and speaking with highway patrol. I realized that the states clearance is actually quite a bit lower than reality and that often the height is where it begins to curve at each end.

Lots of spots on the Southern State state 7'8" and are truly well past that.

My Roadtrek is 8'6" and my old Falcon was 10'.

I realized it was bologne when I saw large buses on the southern state. The large coaches that are used as tour buses and take grandma down to Atlantic City.

Took the Falcon to Jones Beach a few times, and even though I knew I had space I still clenched under overpasses and made sure I was in the center lane.

One day I'll put a go pro on the roof.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #15
Platinum Member

It depends on how your class B is licensed. My RT 210P is registered as a passanger vehicle which means that it is legal on all Parkways. If it is registered as as truck or as an RV you may have problems.

I must add that I am only addressing the legal problem, not the clearance issues.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #16
Bronze Member

I actually wrote to the freight mobility address of DOT - they wrote back with a copy and paste of the guidelines. I sent another response but haven't heard back. The weird thing is, they seemed at first to be saying it was ok - since it's NOT commercial, then the commercial not being allowed clause doesn't apply. However, there is a separate clause disallowing motor homes from using it. The thing is, the way they word it, sounds like a "mobile home", but they do mean motorhomes. (living quarters with apparatus to propel it, something like that wording)

I'd love to be able to take the Henry Hudson from the bridge, or the FDR, to go downtown, but I'm scared to. I forget if there were any low clearances on either of those, and there doesn't seem to be any master list on the Net. I don't THINK there were. But even so, I wouldn't want to get the fine/felony (?? I think it said it is a felony on some site to break the parkway driving rule, if they want it to be?). But it does really suck to have to take Broadway, etc., all the way down from 178th street. Not even so much due to the lights and slower travel, but the drivers uptown seem to be worse, or at least not to care (the cars are real beaters for private cab services up there, lots of dents, etc.).

My clearance is 9'5".

Anyway, curious if any of you have driven with that high, or higher, a vehicle, on the HH or FDR from 95 or below.
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 AM   #17
Silver Member

I drive my Roadtrek on parkways. Never had a problem. Most people just see a conversion van.

Only time I had a concern was taking a tunnel and being told to turn around due to having propane. They never noticed.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Wow that takes some guts... which tunnel do you take? Are you in a Chevy chassis B? I sometimes think the Zion looks a bit more RVish with the rooftop air and connected windows/paint scheme. (last time I manually paid a toll the person looked suspiciously and asked how many seatbelts it had, thinking it was a shuttle bus I suppose)

If it was a small fine I would try, sure would cut off a lot of extra driving, but from what I read, it's a $3k fine and they can add on other charges.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
Silver Member

Well I didn't do it on purpose. I simply forgot to alter the gps to send me through staten island. Once I hit the toll plaza for the tunnel I got a but nervous but couldn't turn around.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Ha, gotcha... sometimes I wonder, if the propane tank is empty, how that would work out. (since in warm weather I don't really need it) I've read that the buses have signage/permits proving they don't carry propane. I am guessing still having the tank, even if empty, wouldn't pass if they were to inspect though.