Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #1

Default Dump Valve Replacement

I have a 1995 RoadTrek 190. I went to replace both of my dump valves and found that I need to replace the flanges on the tank side on both. It looks like the pipe is threaded into the tank but am not sure and am wondering about the adhesive used. Does anyone know how to properly go about replaceing the tank side pipes and flanges? The Black water is 3" and the Grey is 1.5".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave & Allie Darsey
Kenai, Alaska
8starsofgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dump Valve Replacement

Hopefully someone has some experience with this and will be able to advise you.

My guess is that on a threaded fitting it would be plumbers tape (teflon tape) or pipe dope. I removed the threaded toilet ABS plastic flange recently on my RV and it had pipe dope on the threads. I used teflon tape on the threads when I put it back together.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I recently replaced both black and grey valves, same size as yours, on my 1990 Leisure Van. A couple things come to mind.
1. Are you sure you are seating the valve properly? I had quite a bit of trouble seating the grey water valve because of limited "moveability" of the pipes and space to work. Took several tries but finally did get it in place just fine.
2. The upper corner of the tank side flange of the black water was broken. I managed to jury-rig it with a larger washer and a wooden 3/4 flange template and a longer bolt. I would not want to take the pipes off.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

I have not attempted to install the new dump valves as of yet due to the fact that 2 ears are broken off of my 1.5" valve flange. I have given it some thought as to "jury rigging" together as well, but would rather do it up with all new parts. I was just wanting to make sure that the stub shafts going into the tanks were a threaded connection before I started to reef on a pipe wrench to unscrew them. These things must be threaded in. I can't see any other way. I won't be able to work on this thing for another week or so (out of town) so am still searching for hot tips.
Thanks all!!!

Dave
Kenai, Alaska
8starsofgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Dave,

I had a cracked flange on the valve for the black drain line on my Xplorer. 3 weeks ago I took it to a rv shop & they cut the solid drain pipe to replace the flange & used a hose clamp to hold it together for $265. I did not like that as I feel it is not as solid. The first time I dumped it leaked much worse than the problem they fixed! It's back in the shop now. They won't let me talk to the repair guy only the service writeup guy. He claims they put on the wrong size hose clamp & are now putting on the right size. He said to replace it with solid pipe like it was would require replacing much more of the entire dump line. I am not happy but will wait to see the completed job to check for the lines solid support.
stevevh27 is offline   Reply With Quote