Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Essential Tools

I'm sorting through boxes of tools from renovating my house. Of course I've collected multiple glue guns and needle nose pliers; you name it! I'm happy to get rid of most of it, but I was wonder what essential items I may need. I can build a nice little toolset of essentials from what I have.

I have to do the same for the bikes too, but pretty much know what I need there.

I also happen to have an old set of Black and Decker Firestorm cordless power tools, 18v, that are still going strong. Set includes a power drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, flashlight, vacuum an 18 gauge pinner, snake flashlight, and even a work bench! I'd love to take them all because adding some hand tools mean I could actually take some handyman work if needed! But I can't see often needing a reciprocating saw or pinner on the Class B!

Weight will be a concern, so really perhaps a good Leatherman type multi-tool could probably do a lot. Please though let me know some of the essentials you carry.
kellyllek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Essential Tools

I would recommend keeping ERS insurance as a first line of defense.

Here is what I carry in a five gallon bucket (the bucket always comes in handy, so if there is space for it, it is worth having.):

1: A socket, extension, and socket wrench for the water heater. Atwoods get drained and rinsed clean, and Suburban water heaters get the anode rod replaced, flushed and rinsed.
2: Good leather gloves.
3: Good rubber gloves.
4: Alcohol gel. It keeps the hands clean, and can be used to start a fire in a pinch.
5: A Leatherman tool, although one should have at least two, one stashed, one easily at the ready.
6: A SPOT emergency GPS beacon, with the insurance paid up. The reason one keeps the insurance on it is that rescue helis charge by the foot, and one can get a 4-5 digit bill if something goes wrong.
7: A decent LED flashlight.
8: A decent Ka-Bar knife.
9: A folding shovel.
10: A first aid kit.
11: A roll of duct tape.
12: A roll of foil tape.
13: Good scissors to cut the previous two with. Duct tape can be ripped, but foil tape will need a cutting instrument.
14: A good combination padlock and steel cable.
15: A bottle of cyanoacrylate glue and a couple bottles of acetone to clean up any messes.
16: A plastic measuring cup.
17: Funnels.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Bronze Member

That's some good stuff, thanks! I know I can look it up, but what's the ERS insurance? And the SPOT insurance, is that something they sell too for rescue? Or is that a totally separate thing?

I sometimes end up alone riding and I always send up a life GPS signal to my people just in case. But I've considered getting the SPOT as I've been to some places that don't have cell coverage. Once in the UK Lake District I planned a 5-hour solo rideover the fells. I didn't have SPOT, so I went to the local bike shop, showed them my planned GPS route, my estimated time of return, and even called them at a town halfway to let them know my status. Nonetheless I would have been happier with SPOT
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I make sure to have what is needed to change a wheel in case of a flat tire. (even though I have Good Sam ERS)
I also carry some wire that could be used to secure a loose part, a vise grip pliers, multi-bit screwdriver including #1, #2 & #3 square bits.
A hatchet or small ax(e) is handy to make kindling if you like a campfire.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks again. This info will be invaluable. Markopolo, a couple months ago I got a fast flat on a city expressway, fortunately it was very close to an exit and parking lot. All went well and I even had a couple extra wrenches for pulling the lugnuts off. It was flat ground, but I forget to put on the handbrake! I've changed tires many times over the years, but it still pays to use a checklist! The van rolled off the jack early in the process and I was not hurt or anything, but the jack got bent! I was still able to use it and change the flat but it was a stupid mistake and now I need a new jack (haven't gotten that yet!)

I reckon check lists are probably useful for a number of RV related tasks!

I love the idea of dry camping in the middle of nowhere, but the reality is I'm probably going to want cell service, or wifi, or hookup and facilities. My guess is I'd be doing a combination of both dry camping and campgrounds.

A side question, with most campgrounds is it the same rates for a Class B and just myself as it is for a family of five in a Class A? Or can I expect to get charged less?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Same rate as you occupy the same space. However, your occupancy can feel like luxury in spaces like pull through sites. Your other advantage is there are few sites in a campground you can't utilize such as tent sites and back in sites that won't accommodate lengths of much greater than 24 feet. There are a lot of National Forest campsites that won't take anything longer than 22-26 feet and often that means combined length eliminating some pulling small trailers or popups unless there is provisions for remote parking.

We camped in Natural Bridges National Monument in southern Utah last month. They have a coveted 13 site campground with a maximum limit of 26 feet. You saw no Class As and few Cs. Mostly Bs, vans, tents, truck campers, popups and one Winnebago View. We scored this site, the only site inside a turn around loop island. Still, you could only get a B in it despite being a vast campsite.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote