Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Expansion valve ,suburban water heater

Hi guys, when we were out on the weekend, I noticed when the hot water heater is turned on, we are getting water dripping out of the expansion valve at the top of the suburban water heater, we have not had this before, it’s 20 years old,is it done, am I looking at getting a new valve?, or is there something on this I can repair?, it doesn’t look easy to get out, so I thought I would ask here first before I attempted to remove it,,thanks for any help,,,,take care,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I’m no expert but I think water dripping from the pressure & temperature (P&T) relief valve is normal when there isn’t enough of an air pocket at the top of the tank, and it’s normal for the air pocket to get smaller over time. To reestablish the air pocket: turn off the water heater and water sources (pump or city water), open hot water faucet in RV, open P&T relief valve and allow water to flow out until it stops, allow the P&T relief valve to snap shut, turn off the hot water faucet, turn the water supply back on (pump or city water), turn the water heater on and heat the water. It the valve still leaks it might be bad.
jbxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank you, I will try that, and see how it works,,,,,
Old 06-18-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Those valves do get weak... if you've gotten twenty years out of it, you have no complaints. I had to change the valve on mine last year. They're available at any hardware store in the plumbing section. Because of the way Suburban mounts it, it'll be a chore to swap it out, but you'll figure it out.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #5

I saw valve leaking; I replaced it, still leaked, decide to cheat and actually read the owners manual; it said it was normal and do what jbxr7 said; Guess I just had never noticed before.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Thank you so much jbxr7, I did exactly what you said, and there is no more leaking, that saved me so much time and headaches,, , thanks again, I love this forum, everybody always seems to help with any issue,,,,,
Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Thank you so much jbxr7, I did exactly what you said, and there is no more leaking, that saved me so much time and headaches,, , thanks again, I love this forum, everybody always seems to help with any issue,,,,,
I wholeheartedly agree. This forum is top-notch and the only reason that a mediocre handyman like myself has been able to do all my rv repairs myself. Well, this forum and youtube.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
Gold Member

Like anything they get old and weak. They are very inexpensive so just replace it.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I worked in the heating and cooling industry my entire career, 40 years. There is not supposed to be an air gap at the top of the tank. That is for hydronic heating systems that need an expansion tank. Water heaters have no such condition. If it drips, replace it. It’s a safety device, don’t mess around.
cbrown154@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #10

I had the same experience with my 6 gl. water heater on my 1994 pleasureway. I installed a new valve, no more leaks. The bottom drain plug started leaking shortly after. I had to re-tap the drain hole threads and installed anode rod in the drain plug hole instead of just a plug.
dnnytlsn@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=cbrown154@me.com;95406]I worked in the heating and cooling industry my entire career, 40 years. There is not supposed to be an air gap at the top of the tank. That is for hydronic heating systems that need an expansion tank. Water heaters have no such condition. If it drips, replace it. It’s a safety device, don’t mess around.[/QUOTE

I only know about RV water heaters. I’m sure there is supposed to be an air gap or air pocket on most 20 year old Suburbans. But don’t believe everything you hear on the internet.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Glad I could help, it’s pretty cool when I remember useful stuff.