I just bought a campervan for the very first time ever. Haha. Not sure I knew what I let myself in for...
Anyway, I was hoping you experts here could help me with a few questions I have.
So, first things first - it's a Chevrolet 1986 Get-Away Van conversion. This particular one was made in Canada, I bought it from the original owners and mechanically it's in good shape.
There are a few issues:
1. The roof is fibreglass and as you will be able to see from the images attached (it wouldn't let me add them into the post, sorry), the paint has come off some parts of the roof. I read in the Get-Away Owners manual that the paint is not actually sprayed on in the factory but impregnated to seal the fibreglass.
- Does the fibreglass loose any of its durability, etc. without the paint and if so, how and with what could I repaint it? Would I have to seal it first somehow? There seem to be several things you can do to it, wax, hardener, etc. - what is needed?
2. It leaks! A little.
Image 2 shows some of the water damage inside (to the left corner).
It rains a lot here in Whistler but even after a week of torrential rain I could only detect dampness with my hands.
So there is no full blown leak somewhere but it does damage over time. Some of the wooden panels have expanded etc.
In looking for the cause I came up with 2 potentials:
First - As you can see from image 3, there is a metal rack on top of the fibreglass roof. The screws for the rack are simply screwed through the roof, I can see them after I pulled away the fabric from inside and they are rusty - see image 5
Second - the window in the back has a water streak inside and I can see a previous attempt to fixing it on the outside - see image 4
Here's what I don't know:
- What material is best to seal the leak around the screws of the metal roof rack?
- Will I be able to unscrew and screw them back in without damaging the fibreglass and/or having to screw a new hole into it?
- Can I fix the leak around the window without taking the window out and putting it back in and if yes, again, what material is best to fix this?
3. If all the leaks are fixed, etc. how do I get the fabric stuck back onto the ceiling? It looks like it was glued on before - what kind of glue can I use that doesnt damage the foam/fabric? - see image 6
4. The previous owner fixed what I'm sure what a leak at the side window but it doesn't look a great job (lookswise, there is no leak there anymore...) - anything I can do to make it look better? I've no idea what sealant was used, it's white, can I paint it? see image 7
5. I haven't quite figured everything out on this van so was wondering what the metal opening is for? Any ideas? see image 8
I apologize if any of these questions seem a bit silly, I am a newbie (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it
I have plenty of time to work on it, what I don't have plenty of is money. So, I could've taken it to an RV service, but there isn't really one in this town and the few ones there are are too far away... Plus, I'm much more interesting in learning about fixing it myself...
Sooo, I hope you have some ideas, comments, thoughts on this...
Thank you and ask away if you need more info on anything...