Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default extended warranty

I about to pull the trigger on a new roadtrek ranger

anybody think i should buy extended warranty?

If it was a bigger rv that always had to go to an rv dealer or rv place i would definetly get it.

but a roadtrek that is mostly van.

all chassis stuff would be chevy dealer. all appliances have their own warranties

of course anything can happen-but a van rv is in a different class(forgive the pun) than your class c and up.

just looking for opinions-no really right or wrong answer
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: extended warranty

That's tough decision in a way. I know one guy who buys extended warranty on everything and it has paid off for him. I buy it on nothing figuring that I bank the combined savings.

I was offered one with an RV and when they said that if I didn't use it I'd get a credit at the end .......... well that confused me. How do they make money to pay the claims then? It didn't make sense and if I don't understand then it's not for me.

It depends on the price of it too. Does it fully cover labor costs?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I was offered one with an RV and when they said that if I didn't use it I'd get a credit at the end .......... well that confused me. How do they make money to pay the claims then?
That's an easy one: They intend to be out of business long before your warranty expires. Stay away.

OTOH, a genuine MB extended warranty on the chassis *might* be a rational choice. Unlike third-party warranties, it isn't really a zero-sum game between you and the manufacturer. There are two reasons for this: (1) they have a vested interest in keeping you in the family; and (more importantly) (2) they aren't paying the dealers anywhere near retail price for repairs, so it is much cheaper for them to pay for repairs than it would cost you. For this reason, it is not out of the realm of reason that it could be a win-win proposition.

Extended warranties are almost always an awful way to spend your money, but in the case of something as difficult and expensive to repair as a modern motor vehicle, I am cautiously considering it. I will almost certainly wait until the last minute (which is just before the basic warranty expires) to decide, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Like i said before a regular big rv-getting aan extended warranty-no brainer-but

van rv's different animal.

all the chassis stuff would be shunted to car dealers-that's different say camping world(just example). the chevy express van chassis would just be done at chevy dealer.

the rest-if it was cheap enough might be option.

i have asked camping world if they service roadtreks-amazing how tough getting an answer is.

I have found out they will accept all brands of extended warranties-although the only one they wiil do all the paper work for you is good sam-who knew
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Things get confusing when Chevy has to take apart something Roadtrek built to service something that failed. Who pays to drop a gray water tank to fix a Chevy part that failed?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514
Things get confusing when Chevy has to take apart something Roadtrek built to service something that failed. Who pays to drop a gray water tank to fix a Chevy part that failed?

am i allowed to say-i don't know.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
That makes two of us. I too am interested in the Ranger so I'm following your journey as you purchase one to learn what I can about them.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
That makes two of us. I too am interested in the Ranger so I'm following your journey as you purchase one to learn what I can about them.

just in case you have not read it.-here's rangers users manual

http://www.roadtrek.com/_uploads/manual ... _model.pdf
Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks. I've read that manual several times, but it leaves a few questions unanswered. For instance, who makes the standard 1250w inverter-charger and is it a 3 stage charger? If the Ranger comes with a 1250w inverter standard, why is a 750w inverter available as an option? How large is the solar panel option? And finally, what is real world gas mileage?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 05-25-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I've read that manual several times, but it leaves a few questions unanswered. For instance, who makes the standard 1250w inverter-charger and is it a 3 stage charger? If the Ranger comes with a 1250w inverter standard, why is a 750w inverter available as an option? How large is the solar panel option? And finally, what is real world gas mileage?

http://www.tripplite.com/sku/RV1250ULHW/

here you go-the 750 is Not an option-all the other roadtreks get the 750-the ranger gets the 1250-however the ranger manual on inverter-some was copied from the other manuals-a chevy express van will get about 15 miles to the gallon

the solar charging is 225 watts-however the van must be coded c8-which means 6.0 engine plus about another 4000 dollars. if you build a ranger at roadtrek website all these options and explanations will pop up
Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks!

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 05-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.tripplite.com/sku/RV1250ULHW/

here you go-the 750 is Not an option-all the other roadtreks get the 750-the ranger gets the 1250-however the ranger manual on inverter-some was copied from the other manuals-a chevy express van will get about 15 miles to the gallon

the solar charging is 225 watts-however the van must be coded c8-which means 6.0 engine plus about another 4000 dollars. if you build a ranger at roadtrek website all these options and explanations will pop up

i added to my original post

you should read this thread about solar on a van

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3051
Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
...a chevy express van will get about 15 miles to the gallon...
Is that with the 4.8l?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 05-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
...a chevy express van will get about 15 miles to the gallon...
Is that with the 4.8l?
to tell the truth i'm not sure-i'm pretty sure it applies to the 6.0. however the 6.0 is supposed to be one of the most efficient engines.4.8 i don't know

however it's a choice-get the 6.0 and ots another 4000 dollars. it depends how many miles you drive

if your going to be watching the mileage i suggest you don't buy one.it will only depress you-these are heavy vans-they are not cars-they get better mileage than bigger rv's which are heavier and more wind resistance but they are not cars.

this is what sportsmobile says on mileage-bottom of page
http://www.sportsmobile.com/5_capacities.html
Old 05-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
if your going to be watching the mileage i suggest you don't buy one.it will only depress you-these are heavy vans-they are not cars-they get better mileage than bigger rv's which are heavier and more wind resistance but they are not cars.
Well I have a "C" that gets 10 and the main reason I'm considering a "B" is for mileage. 15 is better. 16.5 for the Travato is better yet. And a 5 cyl. used MB will get me close to 20 if not more. Fuel is not going to get cheaper, ever.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 05-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well I have a "C" that gets 10 and the main reason I'm considering a "B" is for mileage. 15 is better. 16.5 for the Travato is better yet. And a 5 cyl. used MB will get me close to 20 if not more. Fuel is not going to get cheaper, ever.
if you already own a c-are you going to change how you camp. I see a b as mostly a touring vehicle-if not my opinion is that your better overall financial would be sticking with what you have-remember its not 0 or 15 it's 10 or 15.

diesels will get better mileage-but overall costs in general are greater and diesel is usually more expensive than gas.