Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Default Exterior Caulk

Hi, All:

Pardon me if this is off-topic, but my wife and I recently recently purchased a 2003 Class B R-Vision Trail-Lite with a Chevy engine. Last week, in talking to a dealership repair person, he suggested that we re-seal the "caulk line on the exterior of the vehicle that is even with the floor line.

I checked some stores, and it appears the best product might be using clear Dap caulking from Menard's and a caulking gun.

As you know, there is also a "Flexshot" product advertised on TV, but some on the Internet have questioned the cost of that product vs. the sealant described above.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kevin
kewvinw111657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Exterior Caulk

I split this post from the Spray Foam topic.
---------------------------------------------------

I'd suggest checking with RV shops or dealerships and find out what caulk they use and / or recommend. Your Trail-Lite is built more like a Class C motorhome than a Class B campervan. Class B's typically have the original van sidewalls so there isn't as much need for the exterior caulking you find on typical Class C's.

Myself, I wouldn't use household type products. I had an '04 or '05 Trail-Lite and remember that it had a lot of exterior seams that were caulked. The caulk looked and felt like it could have been a silicone type product because it was like clear rubber. I haven't had much success with silicone based products on RV's so I avoid using it. It always seems to eventually start peeling.

If your Trail-Lite is similar to what I had then you`ll need a caulk that adheres well to automotive paint.

I used Geocel Proflex RV caulk (clear) for the few repairs I did on visible sidewall areas based on a suggestion from an RV shop. I didn't use the product long enough and/or keep the RV`s long enough to know how long the product/repair lasts though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Silver Member

Trail Lite is a Class C, and lots of owners in the RV.net Class C forum, sub category "B+"
You will get a lot of help over there. A b+ is really a Class C.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I contacted Roadtrek not too long ago on the same subject. They told me that they use 3M 755FC Hybrid Sealant. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it here, but you might have more luck.

William Jones
2000 Chevy Roadtrek 200
www.yourtravelvideo.com
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

3M 755 FC

Amazon shows it in a couple of different container types. Not even horribly priced.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote