Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Default Exterior Trim Molding '95 Leisure Travel

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a class B and am having the windshield replaced and the windshield frame painted to prevent rust. I was told by the body shop that I could not replace the rubber molding that covers the joint between the steel van roof and the fiberglass top. The trim has hardened and shrunk then pulled away from the metal that appears to be the actual joint between the van and the top...

Can I replace the rubber trim and if so, where do I get it?

If this has been discussed already and at length if someone could direct me to the thread that would be great. I am new at this.

Many Thanks,

Ran
rhanks727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Any glass shop can order and install this for you. Depending on the model; you may have to take out or replace the windshield as well--which if it is the original should probably be replaced in any case.
Kevin Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Silver Member

Mine's coming off too, although I can still save it by gluing it back on. There is an almost infinite variety of trim moldings available. Also, mine is more a vinyl material - not rubber. The trick is finding one that matches or approximates what was used originally. I usually start my research with eBay and branch out to the internet in general. There are suppliers who supply the coach builders and conversion van market. There are also people still adding high-tops to older vans like ours. You might get lucky searching those websites, or forums dedicated to "van builds". These searches are often time consuming which is the same as "no longer available" (or "can't be replaced") to most non-specialty type repair shops.

Let me (us) know if you find a suitable replacement.
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the follow up. I did have the windshield replaced with a new seal and was relieved the slight rust I had did not extend to the windshield frame. Surface rust was removed, frame was painted and all is well.

Looking for the trim that connects the joint still but that will be an aesthetic improvement and not preventative maintenance. I will post what I find and how it works when I am done.
rhanks727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Silver Member

Here is a defunct website (pre-2008 crash?) that shows pictures of various styles of High Top transition trim: v-sales.com/vsrepkits.htm. I have found useful (dated??) info on the old site (and the "sister" site: dcmco.com).

Mine looks like the "Edge Trim - Black". I plan on measuring the width of my trim first and then emailing/calling the new website (https://www.rvandvansurplus.com) and asking about availability. I am also still searching for other sources for the trim.

I also came across a negative forum discussion (from 11 yrs ago) regarding the new site and bad service. I imagine they were struggling to keep their head above water like so many others in the lead up to the '08 crash. Apparently they are still in business so I'm not going to worry too much about it.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
Silver Member

I may have found my solution: https://www.trimlok.com/plastic-extrusion/lip-guard.

Maybe one of the options will work for you.