Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Filling gap between rubber window seal

The trim rubber seal of one of the upper windows of my 2001 Roadtrek has shrunk and started to pull away at the corners. This is not the rubber seal the holds the window in the body, but the rubber trim that slips into that and covers the edge of the window. At the top, the seam was showing a 1/2" gap. I had recently filled it, but now the rubber was lifting at the corners.

I removed about half or the rubber (it just pulls out and then slips in and is locked in place once you push it in). I refit it, especially in the corners. Now that the corners were tight, I had a 1" gap between the ends.

I have used a product called Sugru, a silicone, moldable glue. It is soft and can be molded and stays put until you pull it off. It is a very good product and has multiple uses. Here is the link, www.sugru.com

I cleaned the glass and ends of the rubber, molded a strip and smoothed it out. Here are some pictures of the repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5116.jpg (321.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5125.jpg (173.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5119.jpg (90.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
Gold Member

Hi Joe,
My 1999 Xplorer had the same problem but on almost all windows in the rear.

I realize you already dealt with your issues but for future reference if other windows need seal repairs, you might try Pelland Enterprises, they have lots of different seals for older rv windows.

This link should take you to the seal page, click on the "sample kit" and you can buy a selection of rubber seals for $4.00 to find one that fits your application. I bought a bulk roll with enough to do all my windows

[URL="https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Window-Seal"]

Mine had pulled way out of the corners and when I tried your solution, depending on the window I had anywhere from 2-6" gaps rather the 1" you had.

I think the trick, if you replace yours, is to cut the seal quite long and sort of scrunch it into place with the ends tightly butted together so when (not if) they shrink, they won't pull out of the corners.

They also have lots of other rv parts.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:11 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info.