Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #1

Default Financing -- discrepancy between chassis year and RV model

New to this board, in process of buying a used Roadtrek (2001). My question has to do with financing. My credit union is getting hung up on the fact the chassis is a 2000, and is insisting they can only loan based on the NADA value given to a 2000 RT. The original dealer and bill of sale both confirm 2001, however the current title says 2000 and my proof of insurance based on the VIN says 2000. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice as to how to resolve it? Is there a definitive source I can refer my credit union to so their questions can be answered? Thanks -- Gina in WI
gmg0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You need to be able to convince your insurance company to show it as a 2001. Try a 2nd or 3rd insurance company.

The rules vary depending on which State you're in. There's some discussion on that here:

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=664

Contact Roadtrek and find out what assistance they can give you.

http://www.roadtrek.com/

Phone: 519-745-1169
Toll-free: 1-888-ROADTREK (762-3873)
Fax: 519-745-1160

Email:
sales @ roadtrek.com
service @ roadtrek.com

stevem @ roadtrek.com (he's a member of this forum and might be able to help)

My thinking is that if you can get something on Roadtrek letterhead that clearly states that they sold it as a 2001 it might help with the insurance.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It is really pretty simple in my opinion. The actual manufactured van was a 2000. The converter modified it to its 2001 spec year model and marketed it as such - the conversion, not the actual van. If states and insurance companies go by the van manufacturer's VIN then it is a 2000.

I have a 2004 Sprinter but Pleasure-Way sold it as a 2005 conversion and I didn't buy it (as new) until 2006. It can be confusing. It is considered a 2004 per licensing.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

Default update to model year/financing question

What an education, my hunch the first of lots yet to learn on this journey of RV ownership! -- but hopefully whats to follow will be more fun. After a week of research including uncovering the vehicles "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" --- the credit union must go with the VIN #'s chassis model year because that's what its licensed at originally. What that means to me, financially, is less $$ from the credit union and more down. The street value is higher than the NADA for a year prior. In this case (2000 chassis/2001 model year), at my credit union it also means shorter loan term and higher finance rate because now its an 8 year old vehicle instead of 7. So I have a decision to make, and its leaning strongly towards biting the bullet. The RV "B" forums I've been looking at are enticing me! Thanks for the advice, and for the great forum.
gmg0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #5

I was told that the rv conversion people buy chassis in bulk. They may not use them in the 2000 models so they use them the next year. Ours is a 2007 rv model on a 2006 chassis. Sooo I guess we have a 2007 rv as it wasn't construted until that year. sharon
trippinrv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinrv3
I was told that the rv conversion people buy chassis in bulk. They may not use them in the 2000 models so they use them the next year. Ours is a 2007 rv model on a 2006 chassis. Sooo I guess we have a 2007 rv as it wasn't construted until that year. sharon
It can be a little confusing. You may have a 2007 RV but your motor vehicle licensing department and insurance company will most likely use your VIN for identification and classify it as a 2006. For most states that is good for licensing because you may pay less for plates but not good for insurance because value will be less by a year. Then when selling it, it is perfectly acceptable to list it as a 2007 RV because RV buyers might be keenly aware of the feature differences from one year to another when shopping. Van chassis generally don't change much from year to year to be concerned about that part.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We just recently checked this out on our vehicle. It was bought as a 2004 PW Plateau. I had the local Chrysler dealership look up the VIN # and they told me that the platform is an '04 Sprinter. I think we have one of the rare B's where the vehicle model year matches the conversion year.