Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: First Shakedown trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
When I had a Sprinter with a turbo resonator I carried a spare and instructions to replace it. What I realized was any mechanic could make the repairs as it was rather easy. I carried the tools and had my contingency plans to do it myself if necessary. 61,000+ miles later the new owner got the spare turbo resonator and instructions. I never had to do it.

that is incredible to me-i'm all thumbs
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
When I had a Sprinter with a turbo resonator I carried a spare and instructions to replace it. What I realized was any mechanic could make the repairs as it was rather easy. I carried the tools and had my contingency plans to do it myself if necessary. 61,000+ miles later the new owner got the spare turbo resonator and instructions. I never had to do it.

You can be all thumbs. The thing is everyone assumes you have to take a failed turbo resonator to a Mercedes Benz dealer for service. The truth is any automotive repair facility with as little as a jack could make the repair. It is just replacing a part between two hoses from underneath.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:

You can be all thumbs. The thing is everyone assumes you have to take a failed turbo resonator to a Mercedes Benz dealer for service. The truth is any automotive repair facility with as little as a jack could make the repair. It is just replacing a part between two hoses from underneath.

the strangest thing is before i started exploring all electric-thanks to Davydd- i would never have considerd carrying parts. However Roadtrek uses non standard serpentine belts in the underhood generator(ok high output alternator) in both the sprinters adn chevys. they suggest to carry a spare serpentine belt of this non standard size. I have not even ordered the roadtrek yet but have gotten the special serpentine part number.

Davydd is changing me
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Gerry: Where'd you find that serpentine belt -- nearest NAPA store?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham
Gerry: Where'd you find that serpentine belt -- nearest NAPA store?

this is the napa part info roadtrek gave me for the chevy. It probably will have to be ordered since it's a non standard belt.

the belt for a sprinter is different-it is listed in the current E-trek manual on roadtreks website.chevy size isnot listed in manual

this is for chevy-roadtrek info

http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/napa/25061045.html
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #26
Platinum Member

I assume that the Sprinters that FedEx owns go all over the country, even where there are no Sprinter or Freightliner dealers. Where do they get their Sprinters fixed? I can't imagine that they have their own repair shops in every desolate area.

Anyway, when you break down, Murphy's Law says that no matter what kind of vehicle you have, the dealer for that brand will be either far away or closed, the nearest gas station will be abandoned and the auto parts store will have been turned into a burger stand. If there is an open place with a mechanic, you won't be able to get there. I once had a fuel filter clog up on an incline about 100 yards below the top of the Continental Divide. If it had happened 101 yards later, I could have coasted to the nearest town.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I guess it comes down to whether you are worriers who will compromise their desires for design, comfort, amenities and convenience or non-worriers who will buy the best design, comfort, amenities and convenience they can afford. If somebody said they would give me a Lamborghini sports car I think the last thing I would worry about is where I am going to get it serviced or what it would cost.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess it comes down to whether you are worriers who will compromise their desires for design, comfort, amenities and convenience or non-worriers who will buy the best design, comfort, amenities and convenience they can afford. If somebody said they would give me a Lamborghini sports car I think the last thing I would worry about is where I am going to get it serviced or what it would cost.

Davydd-if you GAVE me Alvar-I would take it in a heartbeat and not worry about having it serviced.

If I spent 160,000 dollars of my own money-Then I would worry about servicing

Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Nah, you would then have to buy all the extended warranties and service options, stick to the Interstates and never go west of the Mississippi River. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nah, you would then have to buy all the extended warranties and service options, stick to the Interstates and never go west of the Mississippi River. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

try me -PLEASE
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If I were gifted "Alvar", I'd sell it (if I could find someone else willing to part with $150K or more), and buy a another brand comparable (in a general sense) for a lot less, and use the excess cash as a "fuel and camping for life" fund. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
BRA 1 - 7 GER if anyone cares.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvie
Last January I began losing power in Oklahoma. I decided to continue driving as it was Sunday. I stopped in Amarillo Texas only to find out that the two dodge dealers and one independent no longer serviced sprinters. I got within twenty miles of Albuquerque where I lost all power and was towed.Larry Miller Dodge was able to replace the turbo resonator but I had to get a hotel. Progressive told me they only pay for a hotel if it is a collision. What insurance do you have fastpaddler? I had 70000 miles on my 2006 sprinter.
Hi
Well I always carry BCAA RV Plus. THis is a Canadian version of AAA in US and mine is recognized in the US and if not BCAA will reinburse me. I get up to 600 miles re towing on flatbed which is required, and also plus hotel accommodation until fixed(there is a limit but I dont have my booklet handy). It is a good idea to carry a spare resonator for those years as any decent garage can whip out the old and put in the new one. My rv insurance would cover anything like a collision but not a vehicle failure on the road. Check with AAA and see what they provide as it should be similar to my coverage. I have separate coverage for my BMW from BMW Roadside service so i dont need BCAA for that purpose
Regards
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Mike - Value is a very personal and subjective thing. Quality and features may be worth significantly more to one person than another depending upon their needs, desires and cash flow. While you'd rather have a some extra cash in the bank, others would rather invest that in a state-of-the-art custom Class B. Both may be optimal decisions.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote