Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 AM   #1

Default First Time RV Buyer?

Hi my wife and I are thinking about buying a class B motorhome. I/We have been reading about and watching You Tube videos, We are going next week to start actually looking at some motorhomes. We currently like the Sprinter Mercedes Benz Interstate Extended by Airstream. Our budget is Max of $100k total out the door. I really want a 12 to 14 model year depending on what kind of deal we can make ad trying to find a unit under 15k miles give or take 5k. Any input on this brand/style of motorhome? what should we be looking for? Any first hand info on this type of Motorhome. Open to any and all suggestions. A little back ground, I am a car guy belong to several car and Jeep forums, I currently own a 600 hp Cadillac CTS V Coupe, New Jeep Wrangler New Mercedes Benz AMG GL Series, Have owned Several Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs and Lexus. I also have a new Z06 on order, So I know a little about vehicles and willing to learn about these Class B motorhomes, Must haveS TVs, AC,Heat, Shower, Fridge, Micro, What is the best for TV Reception? Thanks in Advance, READY AND WILLING TO LISTEN AND LEARN..
drl650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: First Time RV Buyer?

You should have no trouble finding a nice RV with your budget. Here's one with a satellite dish on the roof: http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Ai ... -113530993

Several left over new 2014 Sprinter RV's at less than $90k on RV Trader (not Airstream).

20% off MSRP is possible, 15% off is common.

Bed comfort & bathroom space would important to me.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Check out the Winnebago ERA line of coaches. Best value in the class B market right now. Interstates are WAY overpriced for what's in them, and Thor the parent company is not known for the best quality in RV's....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I checked out a few Winnebago ERA on line, I think I may like the layouts better? also the price is more appealing. My search continues.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Nearly new Class B's seem to turn up regularly. I bought an '04 in '05 that I though was brand new when I first looked at it on a dealer lot.

Here's a link to RV Trader for some pricing ideas:
rvtrader.com

It's a long URL (shortened for the forum) that might not work. I limited the search to diesel, less than $100k, dealer etc.

Some brands warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner and some are not.

This topic - http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=3420 - lists the current manufacturers. It's a good starting place to get an idea of all the various units made.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Since you are a car guy , no doubt you know how to haggle but you may not know it is usually possible to get 15% off list. 25% off Class A's and class C's.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

One thing I've noticed is that some company's low prices seem to be based on Sprinters that don't have many of the packages and options (including safety items) that Mercedes offers. So, when comparing Class B vans, make sure that you're comparing apples to apples in order to get more realistic pricing.

You can see the packages on the Mercedes Sprinter site:
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/build-and- ... oPackages;

The Sprinter options are listed here:
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/build-and- ... yoOptions;

I first saw this when I watched Dean turn on the headlamp washers on a Leisure Travel Vans Serenity in a video. It's a Sprinter option from Mercedes, not LTV. Some other RV companies don't include this. It made me look at what else is different on other company's Sprinters, like the availability of aluminum wheels. These differences may be small, but they can quickly add up to a sizeable chunk of money.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

As to warranties, marcopolo (a.k.a. Our Outstanding Forum Leader) put together a list of who offered what a couple of years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2669
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #9

Greatful for all the links and info. Alot to learn and alot of Class B Motorhomes that I like, So far I really want to stick with Mercedes Benz, Now We need to decide which Fabricator/Builder to go with? We are going to start looking at some units over the next few weeks starting tomorrow. We have a couple of places here in Ft Myers and will also be going to Sarasota to check out a few. Siennaguy Yes the MB safety does play a very important part in our decision. Thanks to all.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy
One thing I've noticed is that some company's low prices seem to be based on Sprinters that don't have many of the packages and options (including safety items) that Mercedes offers. So, when comparing Class B vans, make sure that you're comparing apples to apples in order to get more realistic pricing.
This is an excellent point. It especially applies to the Active Safety Package (Option Code C03, or C04 with Parktronic). This is in incredible package of safety technology. Having experienced in in our 2014 I4, I don't think I will ever buy another car without its equivalent.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote