Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #1

Default First trip in our new RT

We just returned from a 7 night, 1000 mile trip around Wisconsin in our new 210 Simplicity. We loved it! Drove great up and down hills, easy to park, bed was very comfy! We did not fill it with water at the advise of the dealer due to cold night time temps, but carried water with us, and every campground had water at sites. Heat pump and furnace both worked great. We found we had plenty of storage for all we needed to bring. Ours has extra cabinets/wardrobes behind both front seats, with one being removable. We did not see another class b at any of the campgrounds we stayed at, but ours got plenty of attention. And 15 mpg on a new motor...for us it is THE way to go! Can't wait to go again, next time towing our boat along!
firstgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: First trip in our new RT

Sounds like you had a great first trip.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Gold Member

Sounds like your trip was a success .....what campgrounds did you go to? Also live in Wi. and always looking for new local areas to camp in.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #4

yes, we had a great time. Our favorite campgrounds were Rustic Barn in Kieler, near WI -Il- IA border. Good spot for day trips into Dubuque, Galena IL, and around the Mississippi river area. Also stayed at Leon Valley campground near Sparta....near Amish community and the beautiful kickapoo valley area of WI. We drove mostly country roads and all very scenic.
firstgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We're going to have a BEE Social Group social this coming September at the Hixton/Alma Center KOA which is close to I-94 east of Eau Clair, WI. Anyone is welcome. Details will be forthcoming soon. It is a great way to meet other B owners and pick up some great tips on B travel. We will be there and ennajean will as well.

Wisconsin is a B heaven. The state parks are well suited for B camping and the north is full of National Forest campgrounds with a 22-24 foot limit. You can explore the southern rolling hills of deciduous trees and the coniferous northern forests and lakes.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgranny
yes, we had a great time. Our favorite campgrounds were Rustic Barn in Kieler, near WI -Il- IA border. Good spot for day trips into Dubuque, Galena IL, and around the Mississippi river area. Also stayed at Leon Valley campground near Sparta....near Amish community and the beautiful kickapoo valley area of WI. We drove mostly country roads and all very scenic.
I can't recall exactly where we got them, but on our way home in October 2010 we stopped
along a back road between Springfield, IL and Indianapolis, IN at an Amish roadside bakery stand.
Bought a cherry pie and some cinnamon rolls.
It is fun to travel in a B, in Amish country, and some of the perks are delicious.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Having fun is what's it all about!

Van.

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #8

To Mike-sounds like you were around the Arthur area-large Amish area there. It's just off Rte 36 that runs from Decatur to IN.
Catlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

It may have been as you suggest, but I can't be sure which stretch of road it was, or even which
day. It could have been rte 36 east. That would be a good guess for sure. It was near the end of
that trip, so my brain was probably getting short on RAM by then. Arthur does ring a bell.

Now that I think of it, with dodgy memory, it may have been when we were heading from Jefferson
City, MO to Springfield, IL so it might have been on rte 54, but I can't be sure. I had the GPS set to
shortest distance (taking us on every back road that was passable ) when we left Jefferson City
and headed east towards Springfield/Indianapolis. I think we crossed the Mississippi on an older
steel trussed bridge somewhere along the way, and then happened upon an Amish man and his son
at the roadside.
They were selling pies and baked goods out of the back of the wagon, so not really a stand, and
their horse was tied up a few feet away to a shade tree. We stopped, and browsed their wares,
and after we bought our goodies, several more cars and minivans pulled over, too. It had gone
from an almost deserted road, to a mini-freeway in a few minutes.
It was a very pleasant experience. Part of our on going "US State Capitol Tour".
We still have a few left to do near Washington, DC, and we have to re-visit one or two that we
couldn't get inside because of their hours of operation. They were closed when we were passing through.