Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 68
Question Ford Transit RV conversion in BC, Canada? or close by.

Ford Transit RV conversion in BC, Canada? or close by.

Iím researching experienced up fitters for converting a new Transit cargo van to be an RV, in BC, Canada, or close by.

(have not bought Transit yet; would likely buy Transit in Canada to avoid importing hassles)

I do not want to do it myself.

I do not want to buy an already converted one, or a used one.

We have very specific needs and desires (see below)

The upfitter to class B would basically do:

Solar
Electrical (shore and 12v + inverter)
wall insulation
Rixen heat, and maybe Rixen hot water
maybe shower stall + fresh + grey tank.
add 3rd captains chair.
MOAB bed install.
Maxx fan.

no black tank, as Port A Potty
no propane.
no generator.
not a Sprinter.

Google didnít turn up anything.
I read Safari Condo in Quebec is good, but that is a really long way from BC, so logistically as I work (very) full time, that gets tough.

thanks.
__________________

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 172
Default

Does the conversion have to be done in Canada? The type of features you're looking for appear to be most suited to a custom van upfitter such as:

Van Specialties (OR)
Outside Van (OR)
Sportsmobile (CA, TX, IN)
Vanworks (CO)
Tourig (CO)

If the end goal is you need a BC Canada registered/licensed van you could buy the Transit in Canada and drive it down to the US for conversion. Van Specialties and Outside Van in Oregon are not far from BC.
__________________

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Does the conversion have to be done in Canada? The type of features you're looking for appear to be most suited to a custom van upfitter such as:

Van Specialties (OR)
Outside Van (OR)
Sportsmobile (CA, TX, IN)
Vanworks (CO)
Tourig (CO)

If the end goal is you need a BC Canada registered/licensed van you could buy the Transit in Canada and drive it down to the US for conversion. Van Specialties and Outside Van in Oregon are not far from BC.
I was told that I can not import any van that has been modified at all, especially an RV. I spoke with 2 different Canadian departments.... the specialists. They knew what they were talking about.

so yes, has to be done in Canada, if it is to stay in Canada.

Thanks anyway.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 95
Default

Here is one from BC

https://www.countryrv.net/site-carri...ils.php?cid=69

https://www.countryrv.net/listings.php?ltype=30&used=1
__________________
CruiseFx
2004 Roadtrek C190 Versatile
cruisefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 68
Default

Thanks... but as far as I can see.... Country RV does not custom build class B's. That is what I am after.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Thanks... but as far as I can see.... Country RV does not custom build class B's. That is what I am after.
I thought that they might be able to point you to someone in the province.

These are from Alberta and build on Sprinters but may be able to help?

https://overlandex.com/home

https://truenorthcustomcampers.ca/
__________________
CruiseFx
2004 Roadtrek C190 Versatile
cruisefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Phoebe3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: California
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
I was told that I can not import any van that has been modified at all, especially an RV. I spoke with 2 different Canadian departments.... the specialists. They knew what they were talking about.

so yes, has to be done in Canada, if it is to stay in Canada.

Thanks anyway.
Forgive me if I don't understand this correctly, but it sounds like the problem is importing a CONVERTED van. In the case of using one of the above conversion companies in the US, you would purchase your van in Canada and bring it to the US for conversion. Your van would already be titled to you and registered in Canada and you would not be "importing" anything.

If I drove my US-registered van to Canada and bought tires, shocks, seats and an AC unit (for example), when I returned to the US, I'm not sure anyone would care.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Crossfit
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Forgive me if I don't understand this correctly, but it sounds like the problem is importing a CONVERTED van. In the case of using one of the above conversion companies in the US, you would purchase your van in Canada and bring it to the US for conversion. Your van would already be titled to you and registered in Canada and you would not be "importing" anything.

If I drove my US-registered van to Canada and bought tires, shocks, seats and an AC unit (for example), when I returned to the US, I'm not sure anyone would care.
The two government officials spoke to this directly... they said there can be inspections at any time, and there will always be a border inspection

The example they gave is - people take a motorcycle from canada and take it to the USA to have it converted to a trike. They can not then Bring it back into canada.
__________________

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.