Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Fresh Water

Let's say you got back from a trip and plan on going someplace soon but until then your RV will set for a period of days... couple weeks... month... How long do you leave fresh water in your tank before you drain it.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Silver Member

If you use the water for drinking I would dump it after each trip. Put a bucket under the tap and use it to water the flowers. We always bring bottled water so the tank water is for washing dishes, toilet and sink. If we are camping on a site with no hook-ups I will pull up to a tap in the park, hook up my hose and fill the tank. No point with dragging all that extra (gas $$$) weight. I also drain my hot water tank if it sits longer than 2 weekends.

Steve
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Great answer Steve.

I dump my remaining fresh water after each trip. I never thought to use it to water plants I 'd leave it up to a week if I was traveling again soon.

In theory I would drain the water heater as Steve does, in practice, I drain it twice per camping season.

We also carry bottled water for drinking.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We use bottled water for drinking as well. The water in the fresh water tank is used for showering and washing dishes. We don't normally fill the tank completely in order to keep the weight down, we travel with it about half full and add fresh water as we use it. Whenever we dump the grey and black water tanks I flush them out with whatever is left in the fresh tank so it's normally fairly empty.

I will dump it if there has been any sitting for a month or so between trips. Since we live out in the sticks, I just open the valve and let it run down the hill towards our septic tank. (I never dump the grey or black water anywhere except a dump station)
Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
We use bottled water for drinking as well. The water in the fresh water tank is used for showering and washing dishes. We don't normally fill the tank completely in order to keep the weight down, we travel with it about half full and add fresh water as we use it. Whenever we dump the grey and black water tanks I flush them out with whatever is left in the fresh tank so it's normally fairly empty.

I will dump it if there has been any sitting for a month or so between trips. Since we live out in the sticks, I just open the valve and let it run down the hill towards our septic tank. (I never dump the grey or black water anywhere except a dump station)
This sounds exactly like what we do. Except that I dump the fresh tank right when getting home after dumping the grey/black tanks at the last place available on the way home, (Cabelas).
Haven't flushed the water heater this year since filling it this spring, so that would probably be a good idea soon.
We are planning a trip to Galveston Island over Thanksgiving week, so I'll do it sometime before then, and then again when we get back.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Bob and Sharon - if you're going to camp at Galveston Island State Park over Thanksgiving, please make sure you have a reservation. We were there over the holiday 2 years ago and they were pretty busy.