Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

Default Fresh Water not flowing into plumbing system

Hello Everyone

I am a proud new owner of a 2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous and am having some growing pains which I am hoping are easy fixes and am looking for your experience and advice to fix things. I filled the fresh water tank for the first time and hoped to have a nice warm shower after a long bike ride but...it didn't flow thru the system. I seemed to get only hot water coming out and no cold. The hot mostly was a fluttering air filled inconsistent flow and nothing cold came thru. I have hooked up to city water and had a nice shower but it does not seem to function from the freshwater tank. I had the pump on but no success. I imagine there is a valve I need to turn on and am wondering about priming the pump. Someone told me it should auto prime but I really don't know. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated!
Enjoy the day!
Monique
minnie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Fresh Water not flowing into plumbing system

Did you get the "owner's manual" with the unit when you bought it?
Most of them will have a section called "Water Systems" and that will be where they show and tell
you (hopefully with illustrations) how your water system valves should be set to use the fresh tank.
Failing that, you may be able to download a PDF copy of it from the Roadtrek website here under
the "Owners" link on the home page.
http://www.roadtrek.com/

I have a Chev based Roadtrek, so I could help you if you had one closer in age to mine, but I'm
not too familiar with the Sprinter based models.
Sorry,
hope this helps?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sometimes the city water inlet stop valve gets stuck open.
When the pump is running does water flow out of the city water inlet? (It shouldn't but that would indicate that it is stuck open)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Also, make sure the city fresh water tank fill shut off valve is in the closed position when using your fresh water tank.

Closed position:

Open position:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 RT Sprinter water closed.JPG (40.0 KB, 1124 views)
File Type: jpg 07 RT Sprinter water open.JPG (40.7 KB, 1122 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice everyone. In the manual I noticed a shut off valve for the City Water behind the drivers seat....will have to look for that one - maybe that is the issue. Also will check the water flowing from the city valve meaning it is stuck. I am laid up for a few days after a knee scope so will check it out on the weekend when I'm more mobile. One other person mentioned that maybe the pump needs to be replaced...any quick ways to check the pump that you are aware of? Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Is your fresh water tank full?

1. make sure tank is full
2. make sure city water tank fill valve is closed
3. make sure water isn't coming out of the city water inlet
4. the pump might (should) have a filter on it - make sure it is not clogged up ( Mike is the pump filter pro on this forum )

Usually pumps last a very long time.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Gold Member

I have a PW Sprinter Model so similar to your RT but not quite...

Did you check the lowpoint drains? Although since it worked on city water that's prob not the problem. But if the cold lowpoint drain is open (could have happened when/if the coach was winterized) then the pump will run but the water will run out under the coach. My lowpoint drains are under the coach on the passenger side kinda behind the sliding door.

I brought my PW home from FL in early April and of course we had a freeze warning my 1st night here and I drained the water out of the pipes with the lowpoint drains. When I used the RV the next time I noticed that the pump was acting rather "wonky" the 1st bunch of times I ran it - lots of air, the pump wouldn't run when the water was running but it would run for a few minutes after I turned the water off. Eventually the lines got refilled and the pump has worked perfectly since... Maybe try opening the cold water tap and letting it run for a minute and see if water comes out?

Was your coach winterized this winter? Maybe it's still coming out of hibernation so to speak?
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Is your fresh water tank full?

1. make sure tank is full
2. make sure city water tank fill valve is closed
3. make sure water isn't coming out of the city water inlet
4. the pump might (should) have a filter on it - make sure it is not clogged up ( Mike is the pump filter pro on this forum )

Usually pumps last a very long time.
Don't get me started. On dirty pumps.
OK, I can be in Canmore by September. If that works for you?
Seriously, if it's a ShurFlo water pump they self prime, and are a hardy pump.
The filter could be clogged. Mine was, and it's pretty simple to take it apart to check.
Here's a link to the water pump diagnosis and fix -
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1477&hilit=water+pump+filter
I actually had taken it to a service center 50 miles away (this place is worth the drive, the
techs there are that good) to get it checked and it was just a clogged filter. Yes, it was embarrassing.

In a Shurflo, the filter is made of plastic, and is completely re-usable after cleaning. Just takes a screwdriver and a bit of patience. There are two pex water tubes, on in, one out, on the average water pump. Just make sure the water sources are drained to a level they won't flood you when you remove the input line. It's the one that has the filter assembly. It's usually a round or disc/puck shaped part on the one side of the pump motor casing. There will be a hose attached to it. Disconnect it, and then press and twist the round thing, and it should come apart, like taking the lid off a child proof medicine bottle. Inside will be a circular plastic screen, which is the filter. Mine looked like a petri dish in a high school biology lab. Rinsed and replaced and voila, less noise and better flow.
Good luck. If there's anything else I can add, or I missed, please feel free to ask.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Thanks for all the advice everyone...I'll let you know how I make out this weekend!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie07
In the manual I noticed a shut off valve for the City Water behind the drivers seat....will have to look for that one
The Adventurous has hot water heater bypass valves in the cabinet behind the driver's seat - actually under the seat behind the driver's. Fresh water fill valve is on the passenger side, as the pictures show - but that's just for filling the tank from the city water input; I'm not aware that it affects the water pump action.

Dan F.
2009 Roadtrek Adventurous
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #11

So..I did the 4 point list - where I would normally hook up the city water, if I pressed the centre of that valve, water came out...so does that mean it is stuck on? My helper (80 year old RV owner) didn't think that was unusual..not sure. anyways, still no success. But I did unfortunately find that the fresh water tank leaks...right at the very front it was dripping in numerous spots...wondering if that would cause the entire issue? Thx.
Oh Hey, if you overfill the oil (the buzzer sounds and it says Oil High), is that serious? How do you drain it? My boyfriend (ex now!) was trying to be helpful. Thanks too.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
where I would normally hook up the city water, if I pressed the centre of that valve, water came out.
That stumps me. Are you talking about the city water fill on the driver's side? There's no valve on mine - it's just a garden hose fitting, nothing to press. Could you be looking at a quick release connector that someone left attached? I hang an external filter on the inlet; sometime at a campground the water pressure is insufficient to fill through the filter.

The Sprinter manual ought to show you where to find the oil drain plug. You did use the recommended oil type, I hope?
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie07
So..I did the 4 point list - where I would normally hook up the city water, if I pressed the center of that valve, water came out...so does that mean it is stuck on?
That is normal. It is a one-way valve. City water can go in under pressure but tank water can't get out when it is working properly.

Did you see a water filter at or near the pump?

------------------------

The water tank might have a vent on top. If the the tank is over filled water could come out of the vent and drip off the bottom of the tank.

-------------------------

As arrveedogz pointed out - find the location of the oil drain plug in the manual. Have a large pan ready to catch the oil as it can make a mess. As to the seriousness of the problem, it depends how overfilled it is. I wouldn't drive it if it is very overfilled. Did he do an oil change or just top up the oil? How much did he put in?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #14

Hi Everyone

Had a new Shurflo pump installed this week and the water is flowing like a charm! I guess one of the diaphragms in the pump had broken and that is why it wasn't working anymore. Thanks again for all your help! Happy RVing!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Thanks for reporting back. That will help anyone who comes across this topic.