Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Default Fresh water tank not draining on 2001 Roadtrek 200 Popular

I bought a 2001 Roadtrek Popular just before winter last year. It was already winterized (that's what I was told, anyway and I certainly saw pick RV antifreeze drip when opted the faucet). Now I want to take it out and want to drain out the antifreeze. Opened what looks like the fresh water drain (about 3/4 or 1 inch diameter pvc coming from the fresh water tank). Some antifreeze dripped out and then it stopped. Was between 1/2 and 3/4 full at that point. Leveled it. Put the tank on the high side to help it drain. Still just slowly dripped. Topped the tank off with fresh water to see if anything more would come out. Nothing.

Turned on the pump and opened the faucet on the sink and turned on the shower. Some spatters from the sink but no water.

Any thoughts one what's up? It's like it's shutoff somewhere, but I cannot find any shutoff. I would say maybe it's plugged, but the its freshwater, what's to plug? If something froze and burst over the winter (it got to -30 last winter w/o wind chill), I would expect to see water somewhere, but I do not.
gbortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
Silver Member

Are you sure the fresh water tank was 1/2 - 3/4 full? The fresh water tank is usually just drained for winter storage. Sometimes there might be some a little antifreeze remaining in the fresh water tank from using the tank to draw antifreeze throw the water pump and faucets (if the RV doesn't have a siphon arrangement for drawing antifreeze into the pump).
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

RT manuals here https://www.roadtrek.com/owners/#section-manuals. I see a manual for 2002 200, but not a 2001. See about page 13.

Are you trying to fill with gravity fill or city water? If city water, there is a valve that stops the tank from filling.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Following up gk&hc's comment, the conclusion is the water level indicator is faulty. Usually the gray and black tank levels are unreliable, but there's no reason the fresh indicator should be 100% reliable either.

If the tank really is 1/2-3/4 full you should hear water sloshing when you turn or brake.

Fill the tank. See how long it takes and let us know if the fresh water works then.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had a 2000 190 but I sold it quite a few years ago, so my memory is quite fuzzy. Anyway, on that vehicle, there was a strainer (filter of sorts) screwed into the fresh water tank, and if I'm not mistaken the water had to go through it to drain (or to be used in the vehicle). While you'd think fresh water is perfectly clean, after 12 years, the filter/strainer on our RT was totally gummed up with what seemed like grease or some gummy substance that wouldn't clean out. Replacing it wasn't too difficult, but finding the right part was.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
We had a 2000 190 but I sold it quite a few years ago, so my memory is quite fuzzy. Anyway, on that vehicle, there was a strainer (filter of sorts) screwed into the fresh water tank, and if I'm not mistaken the water had to go through it to drain (or to be used in the vehicle). While you'd think fresh water is perfectly clean, after 12 years, the filter/strainer on our RT was totally gummed up with what seemed like grease or some gummy substance that wouldn't clean out. Replacing it wasn't too difficult, but finding the right part was.
Finding the right part now is nigh impossible. That old dome style filter has been discontinued and the new part is quite different, and has different dimensions sp water line modification is required. Not fun with the 17-18 year old Pex line. The housing became brittle on my old part and it broke. I assume I hit a small critter and didn't notice it. No feathers or fur was evident, though.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Again, I have no idea if this is the OP's issue, but the part I used was the SHURflo 255-313. My memory is it screwed into the tank fine, but I did have to modify the plumbing a little to get it in.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote