Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Front Facing Seats

Other than Aktiv and Travato, are there other class B or B+ RVs that have front facing seats in the front of the van that can have a child / child car seats installed on?

Thanks so much
pwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Default Travato for the win for carseats

I've done a lot of searching with the same question in mind.

Airstream Interstate with the 4 Captains Chairs, Winnebago Era 70x floorplan, some of the Pleasureways that have the 3rd Captain chair in the second row, and the two you mentioned are ones I have looked at.

I've pretty much settled on the Travato due to the price point, the fact that you can fit 2 carseats in the second bench seat, shorter length for daily driver capabilities, and the true RV amenities like a toilet, indoor shower, and kitchen.

Ruled out the Winnebago Era/Airstream Interstate as both are over 22' and makes it subject to stricter parking guidelines in my city that allow only 24 hours street parking in my city.

Ruled out Pleasureway due to price and having to put the baby waaaay back in the back. I prefer to have the carseat close to driver and passenger seat for a daily driver/minivan-esque experience.

Ruled out lots of smaller VW bus style options due to no indoor bathroom and only outdoor shower.

The Travato would be perfect in my mind if it had a forward facing bench seat in the back with shoulder seat belts and HEADRESTS (but of course nothing is perfect.)

The Hymer Aktiv would be perfect if it didn't have a cassette toilet (we're thinking of renting the RV out part-time and I DON'T want to be hand-dumping other people's poop. The shower also looks pretty leaky and hard to use. But it did have the best layout with back benchseat, up front bench, etc. Also, I got scared off on the lack of warranty and ability to get parts with the company going under this past month.

Happy shopping!
hamsterwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #3

Thank you for the detailed reply. I had the exact same reaction to the Hymer, the cassette toilet is a dealbreaker (there are some exceptional prices on Aktivs right now but can't work with the cassette).

In addition to the names you mentioned the Roadtrek RS Adventurous is an option as well though pricier (similar to the Airstream though, slightly larger than legal parking size on the street). The RS also doesn't have headrests on the rear captains chairs (similar to the Airstream), not sure why they do that. Again some very good prices right now because of the Roadtrek / Hymer craziness.

The Travato's bed is really small, that was hard to get head around, particularly if a child is potentially sleeping with us on the bed. Travoto's bathroom was large and nice though (much better than Hymer).

I wish some of the Leisure Travel options had a front facing seat with seatbelts. The Serenity has a seat but the seat belts are on the side seats only.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #4

Yep, I forgot to mention the Roadtrek RS Adventurous which was at the top of my list at one point. Ruled that one out due to the length but I went to a dealer lot and still wanted to check it out. The bathroom was the most claustrophobic thing I had ever been inside. I couldn't do it. Also, the price point is considerably higher so in my budget, we would be looking at an 8 year old vehicle.

I also found the Safari Condo XL Flex, but I can't find them used. This is likely because they're a Canadian company and not as popular in the US, at least not anywhere near me in California.

No way I am buying new on an RV.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 PM   #5

Also, I should mention that a travel crib could be set up on top of what people call the "puzzle bed" in the front. I even found a thread that related that their 13 year old slept in the aisle under the Queen bed in the back comfortably on a camping mat.

How old is your child and are you co-sleeping at home?

We've transitioned by 11 month old to her crib at night so I am not looking for a bed to fit three. Agree the Travato would be tight for that, especially with the edge already kind of clipped off to make the aisle and bathroom accessible.

WHY OH WHY can't the Aktiv just have a regular friggin toilet!? Can't win them all.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterwheel View Post
WHY OH WHY can't the Aktiv just have a regular friggin toilet!? Can't win them all.
I know!!, the Aktiv would be perfect if not for that.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

Default Safari Condo XL Flex (Promaster or Sprinter)

Hi,

I confirm that the Safari Condo XL Flex has the type of seats you are looking for. We're taking delivery of our Promaster in july 2019.

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl22-xl-flex/

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl21-xl-flex/

Have a good day !
GDumaresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDumaresq View Post
Hi,

I confirm that the Safari Condo XL Flex has the type of seats you are looking for. We're taking delivery of our Promaster in july 2019.

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl22-xl-flex/

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl21-xl-flex/

Have a good day !
Thank you. Another one I found that works is the Pleasure Way Plateau MP (think you have to find one for sale from 2014/15 or earlier though - not currently in production) - also has the four captains chairs and actually a better bathroom too.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Require your renters to return it with an empty cassette.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Require your renters to return it with an empty cassette.
Yes. Very common practice. Your standard contract should prominently specify a very high fee for servicing a tank that comes in non-empty.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
jon
Platinum Member

I found no acceptable models with real front facing seats other than the Safari Condo so I had to have one made:
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-off-8669.html
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

Default Child/car seats/ front seat passenger

I just wanted to add that most front facing car seats will fit/work in the front passenger seat. The issue is the airbag. After spending a lot of time researching this with an older class B van and then a class B+ Winnebago View, I was reminded of this. You either need to be able to turn the passenger side airbag off or make sure the child + car seat weight is under the weight point that will engage the air bag. I believe my View’s is 110 lbs-put please check your manual to double check my memory-most children and their car seat will fall under this weight so airbag won’t ingage.
nnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #13

I ended up going with the Roadtrek RS Adventurous. Pricey but the car seat fits well into the captains chairs. It does not have a tether at the back so probably not as safe as it could be, but seems pretty sturdy.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #14

Smile front facing seating

our 2017 Winnebago sprinter era 70x has 4 front captain chairs and a rear bench. all seat belted. good thing is the 2nd row seats easily pop out 4 dogs etc.
Scottnelson@srmg-link.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwani View Post
I ended up going with the Roadtrek RS Adventurous. Pricey but the car seat fits well into the captains chairs. It does not have a tether at the back so probably not as safe as it could be, but seems pretty sturdy.
Picture of the new car seat arrangement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190303_120646.jpg (128.9 KB, 25 views)