Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Front hitch receiver - Promaster / Sprinter

Just wondering if any folks have had front hitch receivers for Promasters and Sprinters?

We have yet to buy a class B but I continue to research and suspect it as a matter of time (plus selling what we now have!)!

For the last 20 years we have had front hitches mounted on our trailer tow vehicles in order to carry bikes and that has worked very well for us. I'm thinking if/when we move to a "B" a may like to do the same thing.

There are pros and cons, but I like to be able to keep an eye on the bikes for securement. Technically Im not sure as to legality - I suppose it could be argued that they have "some" impact on visibility and maybe headlight function - but it is minimal and never been an issue. Certainly we have driven near police cars many times and none have ever taken issue - not to say it might not happen!

I know that "B"s come with conventional rear hitches but one of reasons I would prefer not putting a bike rack there is that we often stop overnight at Flying J's etc. and I would like to retain the possibility of opening the rear door in emergency to exit. I suppose you could mount the bike rack on a swinging hitch and pull the pin when parked so that the door could push the rack aside in an emergency exit. (Or buy the fancy Fiamma rack that mounts on one door and moves with the door.

What do folks do? Promaster? Sprinter?

Many thanks ......... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

The front of the Promaster is quite "busy". There is no room for anything. You can't even mount a proper bull bar there. The ones you see are more for decoration than for real protection.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I would spend the extra money and get a Fiamma on the back door. You get the best of both worlds.
EsotericSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The front of the Promaster is quite "busy". There is no room for anything. You can't even mount a proper bull bar there. The ones you see are more for decoration than for real protection.
Darn - that complicates things a bit! Guess I'd have to go with a rear setup! Wife is concerned about emergency exit when stopped en route somewhere though so I'd need to resolve that! Maybe look as some sort of storage box / bike rack on a swinging hitch if we wind up with the Promaster chassis (most likely) then!

Thanks ......... Brian
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericSnowman View Post
I would spend the extra money and get a Fiamma on the back door. You get the best of both worlds.
Yep - sounds like the way to go - thanks!

Brian.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have not seen any "bull bar" solutions with a front hitch for the PM. There is also radiator clearance which was mentioned in the RAM body-builders guide.

You might be able to squeeze a bike mount on the roof... but then you have to be very careful of height. Another idea would be to stuff the bikes inside, which may or may not work.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I have not seen any "bull bar" solutions with a front hitch for the PM. There is also radiator clearance which was mentioned in the RAM body-builders guide.

You might be able to squeeze a bike mount on the roof... but then you have to be very careful of height. Another idea would be to stuff the bikes inside, which may or may not work.
I don't think handling bikes up and down from the roof would work for this old guy so it looks as though if we get a promaster it will have to be ether a Fiamma type rack mounted on the rear door or a side swing hitch so that we can still have the rear doors for emergency exit on an overnight stop when the bikes would remain on the vehicle.

Pretty sure my safety conscious wife would want me to ensure we maintained the rear doors as an emergency exit!

I haven't looked much at the swing hitches, but probably culs makes something up as I still have all the welding equipt / air tools etc.

What I have in mind is releasing any securing pins or whatever devices on teh swing hitch when we stop for the night but leaving the bikes in teh traveling position - ie not swung out.

Then I am thinking that opening the door from inside should be able to force the swing hitch to move.

A judiciously placed rubber pads /rubber wheel, or some such gadget mounted on the bike rack should be able to prevent damage to the van doors when pushing to swing the rack, but really, if it is a case of an emergency exit due to fire, who really cares!

Just a thought - don't know if it would work but it should. With this concept, could maybe even put together a combination rear storage box and bike rack on a swing hitch.

I would just have to be sure to remember to re-secure the swing hitch in the morning before leaving the Flying J !

Brian.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Checkout The promaster Facebook page. Someone on there made a front mount hitch and posted some pics.
Woodpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpaddler View Post
Checkout The promaster Facebook page. Someone on there made a front mount hitch and posted some pics.
Thanks! Will take a look!

(Not even sure we will wind up with a Promaster yet but I am leaning that way rather than a Sprinter at the moment.)

Brian.