Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Fuel cell progress?

I really like to see these stories, as they start to make the whole fuel cell thing look more like it could happen sooner rather than later. There was one about a train just a few weeks ago running on fuel cell also.

The plane that runs on hydrogen and emits only water - CNN.com

For us, I still think an ideal system would be to have a very small fuel cell, maybe 120 watts, that could run silently 24/7 if needed. That would give us 240ah per day, which is way more than we would ever use. Put in 200-400ah of most any kind of battery (AGMs would get the longer term charge they need to get full and stay healthy) to cover high output times, and you would not need a generator, engine generator, or solar (unless you wanted the free power part of it). No huge wiring for high charging rates to get battery recovery. Of course, for those that need AC for long periods, it could be scaled up about 10X, and you could run AC until you ran out of fuel, silently.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My personal view is that hydrogen powered fuel cells will never be successful. It will take two to tango, hydrogen supply and hydrogen cell applications, the distribution of the hydrogen will likely be similar to Mr. Schwarzenegger attempt of populating I5 corridor with hydrogen stations, just did not happen but his attempt helped to kill GM EV1 program.

Fuel cells powered by alcohol, NG or LPG could see a daylight but emission includes CO2.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
My personal view is that hydrogen powered fuel cells will never be successful. It will take two to tango, hydrogen supply and hydrogen cell applications, the distribution of the hydrogen will likely be similar to Mr. Schwarzenegger attempt of populating I5 corridor with hydrogen stations, just did not happen but his attempt helped to kill GM EV1 program.

Fuel cells powered by alcohol, NG or LPG could see a daylight but emission includes CO2.

George.
Even a carbon based fuel cell will be better than anything we currently have IMO, and you never know how the hydrogen will go. If they start running trucks or busses on it, or some other common use, it could do just fine.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Containing H2 at 10,000 PSI or liquid hydrogen at -253 deg. C is not trivial and liability is huge. The automotive industry was hesitant of using CO2 AC with 10 times lower pressure over 88 deg. F of none flammable CO2 liquid/gas so what would be the response to H2?

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Big badaboom
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote