Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you ever full-timed in your Class B or is full-timing something you'd like to do?
Yes, I have or will full-time in my Class B 25 39.68%
No, I have not and do not want to 38 60.32%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Full-timing in a Class B RV

Have you ever "full-timed" in your Class B or is "full-timing" in your Class B something you'd like to do?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Default Re: Full-timing in a Class B RV

If full timing is 12 months of the year, then no...but we have traveled for 5 consecutive months, and if we had to could probably do it full time.
Not sure the marriage could survive tho'.
ambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

I am truly impressed by the folks who have truly full-timed 12 months a year in a B ( I've seen a couple of blogs, etc.). Our longest has been 5 weeks, limited more by family circumstances than anything else.

I would love to see storage ideas, packing lists, etc. from anyone who has used their B for a few months or more. Of course the "stuff' will vary greatly depending upon where you're going and whether you stay in one place all the time or move around every few days.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

naw and I guess the good folks to whom I sold my R/T might not appreciate me trying to "move in"
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #5

We have met several couples that were full time in their Roadtreks. We spend 3 months each winter in Florida in ours. We usually take another long trip about 4 weeks each year.

Fred and Pat Messerly, RT190V Chev. 2005
Red Lion, Pa 17356
teflonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
Gold Member

My Fiance (will be married on the 20th) and I full time in a 97 Roadtrek 170. It is tight and we have quite a bit of stuff stored at my families place in Washington, but we love it. We stayed in it even when we had the option of a gorgeous room in my Dads house because we feel very comfortable and used to living in it. We use the shower often and make use of every appliance often. I really am amazed at just how comfortable these little rigs can be!

-Mike
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #7

I think we needed an option to vote "My life won't permit it but Dang I wish I could!"
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
g1g
Platinum Member

No I haven't full timed in fact I rarely get a chance to get out. I was looking forward for a long weekend in a couple weeks but work changed that. I work two jobs. It's a bummer, You have to work to be able to go and survive but it keeps you from going and enjoying life. I guess that is why work is a four letter word.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

A link:

http://www.thedreamyear.blogspot.com/
(saw it on the Roadtrek Yahoo Group)

Quote:
The Dream Year is our year off to travel across and around the U.S. Our primary plan is to...make our plans along the way. To meander and savor. Traveling in small vehicles -- a 21 foot Class B RV, a separate trip in a 26 foot motor-sailboat, with bicycles, and an inflatable kayak -- to large open spaces like state and national parks and the Intracoastal Waterway. Follow us on our journey. Barbara and Alan
G - make some time for yourself if you can. A weekend away for me feels like a week away. A month might feel like a year.

I think of Frank and maybe you can too. He was my "step father" although I was too old when he married my mother to consider him as such. Nobody worked harder than Frank and if you needed help Frank was there for you, no questions asked. Cancer got Frank before he could take a break. I like to think that maybe he joins me on my trips now. He would have loved RV'ing. Sorry for being so melodramatic. I wish I had the courage to go "full=time" and follow "my dream". If I think of Frank often enough maybe I'll actually do it.

I tip my hat to all who follow their dreams.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambow
...........but we have traveled for 5 consecutive months......................
Wow, that qualifies for me but I'll leave it up anyone/everyone to choose what 'full-timing' is for them.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #11

No; but have made a few trips of over 3 months including all across Canada in an Islander.
Wouldn't consider Full-time in that space.
westerncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

With my B, other than 3-5 day B rallies we attend, we usually never stay more than 2 nights in one place. That's why we have a B because we are on the road and going to a lot of places. 6,500 miles so far since April. I would be honest. If we full-timed I think a B would be extremely inconvenient. For one, I think you would have to start putting down roots in one place for longer periods of time which means you would want more amenities and tethering to a site. Right away you would lose the get up and go aspect of the B doing that. Next, a toad would become a desire. Next, the chore of having to make up a bed, converting use back to living space, etc. would wear on you if stopped in one place. Next, longer on the road would increase the need and desire to carry more stuff. The holding tanks are not of the size for long-term use. Put it all together and a B could become pretty inconvenient. Conceivably a single person could full-time but with two people it could get very difficult. I find trips of about 1-3 weeks as being the most ideal. We may snowbird longer this winter and will see how it goes.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I'm impressed by some of the thoughts of those who've taken the time to share them.
marko, great idea for a thread.

I'd consider trying it for a while, however there are a couple of things holding us back.....
We'd need to sell our place. The housing market slump has almost all r/e values down, so it would be difficult to sell and get a decent buck for our place.
Or, I wouldn't want to leave our place unattended for too long. 3 weeks has been our longest trip, so far and we've sort of decided we'd like to keep future forays to not more than 10 days. Partly due to the second issue which is the cats.
If we decided we didn't like it, we'd have to buy another home, and who knows what another place would cost? RV's don't seem to hold their value like real estate does (in normal circumstances), so it's not likely to be worth as much if/when we need funds for a down payment after a year or two.
Second, we have cats. They don't travel well and they'd take up space. And they're messier than we are (mostly).

Beyond that, I'd give it a go. Not so sure about the co-pilot. She's got issues with the plumbing, including the size of the sink, and the shower issue. A warm climate would probably be a must to help get around that.
I doubt we'd prepare food in the van, even tho I like cooking. Again, I find it difficult to use the galley because of it's size. So we'd be spending money on eating out, although if you're frugal and creative, you could probably keep costs under control.

Mike.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Silver Member

I bought my Class B for weekend trips and although it is convenient, it is a bit small for full timing. Also I would not want to have to take it out every time I go to the store. I am hoping that when I retire I can make extended trips of a few weeks or more but even then I would probably like something a bit bigger.
Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #15

Hi, I'm going to start a new thread/poll about which Class B is best for full-timing, esp. in winter, but posting here too, so others will find it...

Great sites:
https://www.rveducation101.com
https://www.cheaprvliving.com
https://www.greenrvliving.com
(go green folks! water bottles??)
https://tinyurl.com/6ky2sgx (compost toilet)
https://www.rv-dreams.com
(full-timing)
gspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I'm not interested in full-timing even though we have spent nearly 70 days, 11,000 miles on the road so far this year. The B is still the best way to see the country. Most other RVs restrict you in one way or another. We just recently completed a trip from Minnesota to Washington, DC and back taking along our son and two grandsons (ages 2 and 6) along with a tent. That was a bit much.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #17

We have done some long trips in our Dodge Sprinter van. One for 3 months, and the most recent for 6 weeks. We are not really full-timers but for that period of time we are. We stay in one place no more than 2-3 days, usually move daily.
I cook a large breakfast daily--my husband favorite meal of the day. Also have one more large meal that I cook most days.
We carry too much "stuff" but are getting better. We have a system of moving the stuff from the front to the back daily and then back again at night. Once we get the rhythm it all works.
Have never used the shower in the bathroom, but can get a good wash up in there if nec.
Not sure how I would do for a 12 period. Kinda miss the Grandchild, and family and my sewing machine. Other than that we feel that we have everything that we need to see the country.
hoof5012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

One reason we like the overscan area of our Falcon. It gives a feeling of spaciousness, and is a great storage area, so we don't have to shift things around as much. We considered something larger, but if we got a homey unit then, like a home, we'd want to spend all our time in it. Being in a B forces us to get out into the world, not sit inside the 'camper'.
recumbentfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #19

Just got my PW - Plateau, my first Class B. I'll be starting out with a few short trips. But hope to spend longer amounts of time in it as I become more familiar with it.
AdlaiJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
Bronze Member

I have been slowly working toward it over this year and in about 3-4 months will be.

I lived in a 1967 Shasta Astroflyte (about 17ft long) travel trailer for 6 months in 2008 and I loved it! (It would be a short novel explaining why I stopped, so I'll spare the details).

I loved how cozy it was and how everything was pretty much right within reach.

Looking forward to full timing on my Xplorer!