Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Lee

Default Furnace verses Heat pump

I have just purchased a 2007 Roadtrek popular 190 and was wondering why I would use on over the other. The van is equiped with both furnace and a heatpump both working the same panel with teh air conditioner.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Furnace verses Heat pump

Most people use the furnace. It runs on propane.

If you are in a situation where you have shore power you might save some money by using the heat pump instead, which runs on electricity. It depends on what you're paying for propane, and what you're paying for electricity.
Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I have just purchased a 2007 Roadtrek popular 190 and was wondering why I would use on over the other. The van is equiped with both furnace and a heatpump both working the same panel with teh air conditioner.
We have the exact same vehicle. We have found that at moderate temps (above 40*) we like the heat pump, if we have shore power, as it is a bit more temperate air and is circulated better and faster than the furnace, which is in the front and overheats there before it gets to the back. If we have shore power, we use a small ceramic heater at night. If not we preheat to a fairly warm temp with the furnace and then turn it way down. It will rarely run before morning, but when it does, it will wake you up.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

While I am not familiar enough with the Roadtrek layout, I will note that in my trailer I have added a small wall-mounted heater to avoid the clutter created by a portable heater and its cord. The main reason I have it is to provide heat without the noise my heat pump and furnace produce.
Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have the '05 190P with the same set-up. We use ours the same as booster. In the small space, they are loud - but when it is chilly or down right cold......love them!! Safe travels.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Have never used the heat pump. We rarely have shore power where/when we boondock.
If it's cold enough for overnight heat, we use the propane furnace. It's on the passenger
side in the '02, below that side's bed/bench, so it's close to the bed, and does a good job,
but when the fan kicks in, it's noisy. We've used it to keep the internal plumbing (and us)
from freezing once or twice, but usually a good sub-zero rated sleeping bag is all we need
for a cold night.