Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Default Gen set not getting fuel

I just bought an older Roadtrek with an Onan 2800. The previous owner said he had never used the Gen and it only has 102 hours on it. I figured the carb was gummed up, so I dropped the bowl and pulled the filter. Filled it all up with carb cleaner and it fired up for just a second. I pulled the fuel line and tried to crank it, but Im getting no fuel out of the hose. In looking at the Gen manual it mentions a fuel shut off, but for the life of me I cant find it. I assume if there is no valve, it must be a fuel pump. Any idea where a shut off valve would be on a 93 Roadtrek 210. Not sure how I would even get to the fuel pump thru that small door.
Bukrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gen set not getting fuel

On most rigs that have generators there has to be at least a quarter tank of fuel in it for the generator to run. Keeps you from running out of fuel while you are parked. Start with that first before moving to other ideas, good-luck.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Good tip from AK49er.
After that:
Fuel line supply valve closed (might not have one)
Fuel filter clogged
Fuel pump

You can just see the fuel pump in the third photo in this post by Jim on RV.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25841618.cfm. It's a newer Onan (maybe 2006) but I don't think they changed much over the years.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The latest models have had some changes, mainly emissions stuff. I read they are much harder to pop the cork and change the oil, so to keep from banging knuckles, one might as well use an oil evacuation pump to drain them. As an added bonus, the evac pump will suck the sludge out that may not come out if the drain plug is used.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote