Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Very soon one like this could show up on the Craigslist or eBay, refurbished like new, fully tested with a stethoscope.

One of my first thoughts was the he should not have them dispose of the unit, as it has a new rotor, good fuel pump, module, and other parts which would be of a lot of help to members here, or that the generator (engine) could be easily fixed. The idea that the whole thing may go from Onan to Craigslist was not my first thought but who knows.

Back in the 1960's the local car dealers got caught selling off to local shops, or reusing themselves, parts that had been replaced on warranty on new cars. The manufacturers then started to send reps to the dealers to insure that all warranty parts were held until the rep was there to watch them be field destroyed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Dreamer.....

Quote:
Very soon one like this could show up on the Craigslist or eBay, refurbished like new, fully tested with a stethoscope.

WOW... George, you have no idea what you are talking about.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #23
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
One of my first thoughts was the he should not have them dispose of the unit, as it has a new rotor, good fuel pump, module, and other parts which would be of a lot of help to members here, or that the generator (engine) could be easily fixed. The idea that the whole thing may go from Onan to Craigslist was not my first thought but who knows.

Back in the 1960's the local car dealers got caught selling off to local shops, or reusing themselves, parts that had been replaced on warranty on new cars. The manufacturers then started to send reps to the dealers to insure that all warranty parts were held until the rep was there to watch them be field destroyed.
Hey, you have been told that YOU guys don't get it. That means you are somewhere near the top of those that don't get it booster. It includes everyone that has responded about The Beliefs.

onan gets it. The proof is that after 24 hours they easily determined that they do get it. They get they don't know what is wrong, so they are sending it to onan in the cloud somewhere. Wonder where that is?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hey, you have been told that YOU guys don't get it. That means you are somewhere near the top of those that don't get it booster. It includes everyone that has responded about The Beliefs.

onan gets it. The proof is that after 24 hours they easily determined that they do get it. They get they don't know what is wrong, so they are sending it to onan in the cloud somewhere. Wonder where that is?

Bud

Under those rules, Guilty as Charged.....
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
WOW... George, you have no idea what you are talking about.....
We can reach different point on this spectrum at different point of life and we can place ourselves in a right place. I think folks tried to give you advice you asked for by posting your dilemma, no need to prove them wrong.

https://www.thehumandiver.com/blog/k...ough-in-diving
Attached Images
File Type: png ss.png (123.3 KB, 15 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #26
Gold Member

Quote:
Oversimplification...it's a lot more involved than 5 minutes....

They methodically went through a series of diagnostic tests eliminating each cause and ruled them out by the process they follow....

It's not guess-work...…

It's really a moot point now...new generator is installed...runs very smoothly and slightly quieter....it's a generator...none are whisper quiet..
I would argue that the Dealer has demonstrated that it IS guesswork on their part because they invested 24 hours in diagnostics and couldn't determine what is wrong (Booster and others are right, it is a very simple motor and any worthwhile mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem). So they are replacing the unit......seems to me to be the very definition of guesswork - guessing that a new machine will 'fix' the problem without knowing what went wrong with the existing one.

I find it interesting that several very knowledgeable folks have tried to help you out but you reject every one of them (and have been very rude about it to boot, BTW)- why did you ask if you aren't interested in help?
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Onan is not just replacing the unit. They are selling a new unit and charging for installation with no resolution (to the owner) of what was wrong with the older unit and kept possession without benefit to the owner or the owner seeking a second opinion to resolve. On top of that charging for 1-1/2 hours of diagnostics with no result that Booster said could be done faster. Then not charging for 22-1/2 hours of supposedly more work without result and giving a supposed break to the owner in not charging for that. Is that summation about right?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Perhaps it is as simple as Onan not doing any "in engine" repairs as a matter of unstated policy, so even if they wanted to they wouldn't have the skills to do it. There have just been too many times that folks have gotten new gensets because the old one was "unrepairable" or "the parts cost more than a new one" for my liking.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #29
Site Team

If it were me, I'd have taken it to a good local lawn mower guy. He wouldn't have tried to sell me a new one.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Old genset is being scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

Cummins Onan is destroying this unit.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Default You would....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If it were me, I'd have taken it to a good local lawn mower guy. He wouldn't have tried to sell me a new one.
You know... it's a propane generator....unbelievable.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
...unbelievable.
We can agree on that, at least
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #33
Platinum Member

If the old generator is not dumped yet I would suggest taking it from Onan's hands, find someone else to fixed, and likely be ahead by two $500 great evening dinners. Enjoy good stakes at Fogo de Chão.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Default This is so SAD.....I guess it takes all kinds?

Quote:
If the old generator is not dumped yet I would suggest taking it from Onan's hands, find someone else to fixed, and likely be ahead by two $500 great evening dinners. Enjoy good stakes at Fogo de Chão.
George, apparently you don't seem to comprehend what I've been saying.....and your inferences that these people are dishonest is appalling.
You don't know what's going on and frankly neither does a few other people.....

My genset system is on propane and they are much more difficult to find problems like this when a failure of this magnitude occurs.

It is NOT as simple as you and others suggested to take it to an ordinary mechanic or lawnmower shop.....geez🤔.

As soon as they can they're going to have an answer as they are still going to pursue this with another team and specifically designed tools.
They are going to report back to me what they discover.

In the meantime, I'm moving on with my life and the new generator is terrific. I'm very pleased with my decision to move forward...

Have I given you any indication to the contrary? All I said all along is that I was very surprised it became such an issue....

I guess no one has had a similar experience to my failed propane generator?

The old genset still is inoperable and does not run correctly....why on Earth would I want that sitting around and I certainly wouldn't want someone else to have these problems. Selling something this sketchy on Craigslist is a terrible suggestion .

Once this is all done, the dealership will scrap the machine. I'm OK with that...why do you keep insisting that I keep it?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
George, apparently you don't seem to comprehend what I've been saying.....and your inferences that these people are dishonest is appalling.
……………….
Apparently, I don’t. Dishonest?, rather inept. George and out.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #36
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Apparently, I don’t. Dishonest?, rather inept. George and out.
George, maybe you meant inept followed by dishonest?

"apparently you don't seem to comprehend what I've been saying" Along with everyone else.

If anyone 'gets it', please assist. Does anyone other than the one who has started Many Threads concerning his onan, and how many posts? 100?

Still, no one gets it! Can the op cite anyone that gets it?

Bud
Old 06-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:

"apparently you don't seem to comprehend what I've been saying" Along with everyone else.

If anyone 'gets it', please assist. Does anyone other than the one who has started Many Threads concerning his onan, and how many posts? 100?

Bud
Indeed, claiming know-how while being inept is dishonest.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Default There's going to be an epilogue.... stay tuned.

Quote:

Bud
Bud, I'm not sure when... Cummins Onan dealership is getting some special diagnostics tool to ferret out the issue.... they want to know what happened...

It's being escalated to a higher level of support. Cummins is a very large company with resources.

I found this online, maybe this is related? I really don't know.

"One of the flaws of a propane generator is the fuel system. It's a lot more complicated than a gas generator, which means that it has a greater chance of failure and is more difficult to fix when it does fail. "

Apparently, no one else on the forum had the symptoms mine did... sounding like a "jackhammer" or "machine gun"....

All of the suggestions that might have seemed to work didn't....

Again, I'm very pleased with the new generator...

The suggestions that Cummins either doesn't know what they are doing, would sell it off and wind up on Craigslist or eBay OR.... the notion that they "intentionally couldn't fix it so I would have to purchase a new one is the same thing as saying they are dishonest!

They are not dishonest..... they did a lot of work to find a solution.....if they couldn't that what what makes you think a bunch of people who are typing on the forum can make an "armchair diagnosis" and come up with a an answer?? That's insane.

After the 24 hours of diagnosis.... I came to the conclusion that it's not worth even considering fixing the old machine... the chance for it to fail again is too high.... and I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a failure..... Would you?

SO.... it's only money..... I told you before, maybe, I have to say it again, it's not as bad as dying in the Dominican Republic on vacation......

I'm perfectly happy with the outcome. I was very surprised that it took this particular turn.... but, considering it's an RV... maybe it's just par for the course.. ..

When I know what the dealership finds out... I'll either post it or send you a PM...
Old 06-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #39
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bud, I'm not sure when... Cummins Onan dealership is getting some special diagnostics tool to ferret out the issue.... they want to know what happened...

It's being escalated to a higher level of support. Cummins is a very large company with resources.

I found this online, maybe this is related? I really don't know.

"One of the flaws of a propane generator is the fuel system. It's a lot more complicated than a gas generator, which means that it has a greater chance of failure and is more difficult to fix when it does fail. "

Apparently, no one else on the forum had the symptoms mine did... sounding like a "jackhammer" or "machine gun"....

All of the suggestions that might have seemed to work didn't....

Again, I'm very pleased with the new generator...

The suggestions that Cummins either doesn't know what they are doing, would sell it off and wind up on Craigslist or eBay OR.... the notion that they "intentionally couldn't fix it so I would have to purchase a new one is the same thing as saying they are dishonest!

They are not dishonest..... they did a lot of work to find a solution.....if they couldn't that what what makes you think a bunch of people who are typing on the forum can make an "armchair diagnosis" and come up with a an answer?? That's insane.

After the 24 hours of diagnosis.... I came to the conclusion that it's not worth even considering fixing the old machine... the chance for it to fail again is too high.... and I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a failure..... Would you?

SO.... it's only money..... I told you before, maybe, I have to say it again, it's not as bad as dying in the Dominican Republic on vacation......

I'm perfectly happy with the outcome. I was very surprised that it took this particular turn.... but, considering it's an RV... maybe it's just par for the course.. ..

When I know what the dealership finds out... I'll either post it or send you a PM...

Bud