Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Default I know what you mean about depreciation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I can appreciate your concern... but think for a moment... and do the calculations... how much, EXACTLY, more would you spend between an RV that got 10mpg vs your 18mpg over the miles you drive? Contrast that with the expense of depreciation specifically on your unit alone. Even though you bought well, my guess is that the difference in fuel expense is in the hundreds of dollars while the annual depreciation is still in the thousands. In the big scheme of total cost of ownership, fuel mileage is relatively small consideration, especially when you're talking about the difference in cost of, say, 8 mpg.

I'm not saying it's not A consideration in buying a coach or keeping a coach... it's just misplaced that it's the MAIN consideration... when other factors are what are really killing your wallet, long-term.

Now, don't take me wrong either... I'm absolutely giddy that my Interstate is getting a solid 22mpg on diesel at $2.79/gallon while my Born Free 32RQ is getting 10mpg on $2.55 gas.

I put 10k miles a year on the B-van average, and 2.5k miles on the Super-C. But even at that... the actual dollars spent in the difference just really isn't significant.
Your getting 22MPG on your Interstate? That's great! I'm averaging a consistent 18MPG on my 2012 RS..... probably lower because I have the 3 litre V6 and dual wheels.... maybe you only have the two wheels on the rear?

And, I purchased my RV, a 2012 model in 2017...the approximate depreciation schedule is $5,000 per year... right now.... and probably will slow down to around $3,000 per year in the next couple of years....at least it's not the $15,000 per year if I had purchased it brand new ... depreciation schedule in the first five years is a real killer.... That's why I looked at a five year old model..... Still, it was pretty expensive... when I got it ...$80k plus tax...

Couple that with having to get new tires, batteries, and a few other things...it shot up my cost...SO... I understand what you are saying..

In the day to day operating expenses....MPG is what you have to deal with.. .eveytime you get fuel...

Maybe it's psychological, but, getting less than 10 MPG really has an impact on where you might think of going.... with more MPG it's a little less of a concern....

Even so.... diesel here in Los Angeles is around $3.75 to $4 per gallon and at 18 MPG... that's 22 cents per mile for just fuel....it adds up fast....

I'd love to be able to get $2.79 per gallon for diesel...

Gasoline is around $3.40 or so...we normally purchase our fuel at Costco for the lowest price. And, on the road outside California it is less expensive......

But, any travel inside the state is pretty expensive..

Long term... the main thing is the maintenance on the Mercedes Benz.... I love the way it drives, but, it has a lot of very expensive parts ....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Your getting 22MPG on your Interstate? That's great! I'm averaging a consistent 18MPG on my 2012 RS..... probably lower because I have the 3 litre V6 and dual wheels.... maybe you only have the two wheels on the rear?

Maybe it's psychological, but, getting less than 10 MPG really has an impact on where you might think of going.... with more MPG it's a little less of a concern....

Long term... the main thing is the maintenance on the Mercedes Benz.... I love the way it drives, but, it has a lot of very expensive parts ....
Yes, I have an '04 T1N 2500 OM-647 I-5 engine instead of the later 3500 duallies and the V6. Essentially no smog equipment but an EGR valve, and a much lighter body and interior.

You hit the nail on the head. Paying for fuel is a regular and onerous task that sees money flying out of your wallet in real-time... and it happens sometimes two or three times a week! It seems like it's bleeding you dry, and every dollar you spend for fuel is a dollar you don't have for other recreational activities, while depreciation is a silent abstraction that only affects your net worth. Net worth is something we typically don't calculate or even think about unless we're buying another mortgage. So the PERCEPTION is that fuel mileage and attendant costs are immediate and outrageous and bleeding us dry. The fact, however, is significantly different.

ALL I'm paying is fuel and maintenance. There is no depreciation on my unit, and in fact, I'm in a 2/3 equity position after buying it. Yes it was a screaming deal. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Default Depreciation and resale value is only important when you intend to sell

Quote:
Yes, I have an '04 T1N 2500 OM-647 I-5 engine instead of the later 3500 duallies and the V6. Essentially no smog equipment but an EGR valve, and a much lighter body and interior.

You hit the nail on the head. Paying for fuel is a regular and onerous task that sees money flying out of your wallet in real-time... and it happens sometimes two or three times a week! It seems like it's bleeding you dry, and every dollar you spend for fuel is a dollar you don't have for other recreational activities, while depreciation is a silent abstraction that only affects your net worth. Net worth is something we typically don't calculate or even think about unless we're buying another mortgage. So the PERCEPTION is that fuel mileage and attendant costs are immediate and outrageous and bleeding us dry. The fact, however, is significantly different.

ALL I'm paying is fuel and maintenance. There is no depreciation on my unit, and in fact, I'm in a 2/3 equity position after buying it. Yes it was a screaming deal. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
If you are just holding onto your vehicle, depreciation and resale is not important.

With the insanely high prices on brand new Class B's going up all the time, I could not afford to pay for a brand new model...... which makes keeping mine and just paying for repairs and maintenance a better value.

Some of these especially the Advanced RV, Airstream and others are close to $200,000.... I wouldn't want to be at the top of the depreciation schedule ... like falling off a financial cliff!
Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
If you are just holding onto your vehicle, depreciation and resale is not important.

With the insanely high prices on brand new Class B's going up all the time, I could not afford to pay for a brand new model...... which makes keeping mine and just paying for repairs and maintenance a better value.

Some of these especially the Advanced RV, Airstream and others are close to $200,000.... I wouldn't want to be at the top of the depreciation schedule ... like falling off a financial cliff!
I'm not sure that I can agree that depreciation and resale values aren't important. Very few folks hang onto their vehicle until it's scrapped.

You're right though... financially you're always further ahead to let someone else eat the lion's share of the depreciation, and then keep the unit you buy in excellent repair and using it often.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure that I can agree that depreciation and resale values aren't important. Very few folks hang onto their vehicle until it's scrapped.

You're right though... financially you're always further ahead to let someone else eat the lion's share of the depreciation, and then keep the unit you buy in excellent repair and using it often.
What I mean by this below is.......

If you keep your vehicle until it's scrapped, it doesn't matter what the actual market value is...it's priceless to you for the enjoyment you get......

"I'm not sure that I can agree that depreciation and resale values aren't important. Very few folks hang onto their vehicle until it's scrapped."