Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Good Price?

I am new to RV type camping. I have a chance to buy a 1995 Dodge 3500 Class B van that is self contained. It has bath room, kitchen, gen, solar battery charger, tv and such with all rec and books that came with it. It has 16,000 original miles but has been sitting for five years. The motor turnes over but I think it is out of gas and will be checking it out further. The owner wants $10,000 for the RV. Is this a good price?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

16,000 miles is good. Even 116,000 isn't bad IMO. Sometimes low mileage means handling problems, but not always.

Be prepared that Tires - if more than 5 years old, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, plugs etc. might all need changing.

Have the brakes and suspension checked. Check for rust as well.

$10,000 is a great price for a 1995 where I live. I usually see people asking $15,000 and up in the local paper.

If it is a brand name like Roadtrek, Pleasure-Way or Leisure Travel that's even better.

Getting it started and taking it for a test drive is really important. I wouldn't pay $10,000 if I had to tow it away - too many unknowns.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I have a 1995 Dodge Coachman Saratoga that I purchased last year. With what I paid for it and with what I had to put in it to get going was a little over $12,000. Mine wasn't sitting and had almost 40,000 miles (still low). I also have all the service records for everything including 3000 mile oil changes. Although I am sure there are more but I have only seen a few times that may have been a better offer than I got. In reality I will never know because I will never find out what the others are like and what will break on them compared to mine.
So even if you do have to put in several thousand $ it is a good deal. If it needs much more than that, including something that is just starting to go bad, is what can be the back breaking straw.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I got an update from Joe:

Update: I had it towed before I bought it to have it checked out. The fuel pump was bad and that is why it would not start. The only thing it needed to pass inspection was 4 tires as you said. The Mac. Said it was in great condition. I am going to get the fluids changed also.

So there's a B van that lives to travel again.

Thanks for the update Joe.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote