Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 AM   #21
Platinum Member

backroads tip:

if using googlemaps switch to satellite view...zoom in, in, in...and if you see lines on the road...that means it is paved.

another reason we use the iPhone is that my spouse can call up maps and driections on hers, just as easily as I can on mine- changing destination or routes on the fly , she's not trapped into my route...so we edit as we go.

This has given Shan a confidence which makes her more at ease when on solo trips.

we have a nav system in our toyota which we do not use, it is clumsy and inflexible...entering destination is a joke...a long long joke...it also crashes alot.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
My 2 gripes with the Becker, as I've previously stated:
1.No elevation display. I just like to have it.
To get to the elevation display (starting at map view):
1) Push the knob.
2) Select "INFORMATION"
(screen shows "Current Position" and "Destination")
3) Push right-arrow
4) Select "GPS-INFO"

Quote:
2.Programming a route is counterintuitive, can't be done (perhaps by the copilot) while driving down the road, and you have to click thru the alphabet for every character of every waypoint. So far I can't see a way to do it on my computer and load the route into the Becker.
Yes, it is kind of ridiculous that there isn't a touch screen.

Every OEM GPS system I have seen locks out programming while driving (a big advantage to using your phone or a stand-alone product). That said, you CAN enter addresses using voice recognition. Works better than most (admittedly not saying much).

Hope this helps.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The indash Tom-Tom will lock out any function that needs a 'keyboard' at 5mph or more. You can select pre or user installed POI and destinations only. It's just another reason not to use it.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
To get to the elevation display (starting at map view):
1) Push the knob.
2) Select "INFORMATION"
(screen shows "Current Position" and "Destination")
3) Push right-arrow
4) Select "GPS-INFO"
Not what I want. That gives me altitude where I am, and requires 5 button pushes to reveal it.
I want a running elevation display on my screen, just like speed, time, or whatever. Easy to do on a Garmin, impossible on the Becker. So I just run my 10 year old Garmin up on the dash.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Not what I want. That gives me altitude where I am, and requires 5 button pushes to reveal it.
I want a running elevation display on my screen, just like speed, time, or whatever. Easy to do on a Garmin, impossible on the Becker. So I just run my 10 year old Garmin up on the dash.
I'm pretty sure that that display updates as the elevation changes. Is that what you mean? Of course, if you already have a solution that satisfies, then that is good.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #26

We've been using GoogleMaps for our GPS for several years. We've just ordered a new Travato, so I don't know how the Tom-Tom compares, but Google has beat out any other GPS I've ever used, in terms of reliability and usability. We just got back from three weeks of driving around the UK, without cell coverage most of the time, and it was FAR better than the in-vehicle GPS (that we were paying 10£ a day for). We simply plugged in a route while we were attacked to wifi, and it seemed to download a significant extent buffer into the phone's memory. I was acutally surprised that it re-routed us on-the-fly without being connected to data.
ghosting is offline   Reply With Quote