Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #21
Site Team

Don't know anything about the Titan, but by actual measurement, the front wheels of our fully-loaded 2014 Legend was 3960 lbs, so I don't think you are even close to being safe with those ramps.

I made a set of homemade ramps out of 2x12 lumber:

Lift f.jpg

LIft r.jpg

Lift.jpg

They work great and I am completely confident of their safety.

Look for cheap lumber in the "Cull" pile at Home Depot.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #22
Silver Member

I wouldn't do it (even with jack stands in place). Do you have a higher curb next to the driveway apron that you could drive one side of the van onto? It might be a little more safe than ramps. Still, be careful, be sure to chock the tires and apply the parking brake.
I would probably take it to a shop. Good luck.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #23
Platinum Member

This is on a Chevy cutaway if that helps someone answer.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #24

Okay I just did it anyway and I didn't get killed. But I will still await anyone's answer to see if I just did a foolish thing or not. After getting the van up on the ramps I was able to see well enough to wire the hanging wire up without actually getting under the van. I think it may have been to the sensor for the propane. It went to the farthest to the left thing on the propane tank if that helps at all.
xanadu1jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #25

Ooh Avanti that is neat. I think I'm going to be stopping at Home Depot! Thank you very much!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #26

Well Fruch I guess I did a foolish thing then. I didn't do any of those precautions and I don't have a curb by my rural driveway but thankfully once I could see so much better I didn't have to actually get under the van as I could see it well enough then to see where it came from and where it was going. I used a plastic coated wire tie to secure the hanging wire up to a solid piece of metal bracket near the propane tank that the hanging wire was coming from. But I know what precautions to take next time thanks to your advice. So thank you very much! You may have saved my life in the future!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #27
Silver Member

Glad to hear your OK! Avanti's ramps look pretty good, better than any store bought ramps! There is a trip to Home Depot in my future!
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I've been using 2x10 in a similar fashio for levelimh RVs for years. I cut the drive up end at a 45* angle to help ease the climb. I also ran a few 1 and 5/8ths deck screws in the boards. The screws will stick out just a little bit to grip the board below to keep from slipping. The screws stick out about 1/8th inch so they come apart easily.

Also, some boards will crack. A piece of 3/8ths plywood screwed to the bottom will prevent/repair cracked boards.

This is a whole lot more frugal way to level or raise the RV than those plastic things that tend to collapse.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 AM   #29
Platinum Member

If those ramps are really rated at three hundred pounds each, then they're not even strong enough to hold up a Honda Civic. I am pretty sure you misread them and they are rated at three thousand pounds each.

Even with 3000 pound ramps, you could be pushing your luck as you're close to that weight. You would be MUCH safer with the wooden ramps as shown above. And they're easier to drive on to.

You could also build the ramps so they are ramped on both side, just in case you do not stop at the top of them. This way there is no drop off. The down side is that they are twice as long.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
The down side is that they are twice as long.
...and heavy!

If you only do three courses high like mine, there is no real harm done if you overshoot. And, it provides plenty of height to work--at least with a Sprinter.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote