Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Default Greetings from Delaware!

Hello! My name is David (Dave) and I live in Wilmington (and New Castle), Delaware. I just discovered this forum while searching for images of Class B Sportsmobiles on Google.

I've looked into and researched a few different Class B RV's before falling in love with the Sportsmobiles. Actually, I almost bought a fifth wheel last year, but that "need" disappeared right after I decided on the make/model I liked the best. LOL.

I'm currently designing my Sportsmobile and emailing SMB-North with tons of questions and getting clarifications on some of the components and systems they use.

The SMB will be based on a Ford E-350 Super Duty van, with a V-10 gas engine. I plan on a custom floor plan, including a gaucho sofa/bed, narrow and regular width storage cabinets, A/C, microwave, 3-cuft refrigerator, 2-burner stove, sink, recessed shower, penthouse top w/ bed, water heater, furnace, and porta-potti. I'm very excited about my RV, and I can't wait until it becomes a reality instead of a dream.

The SMB will probably be my daily driver, too, and not just for weekend and vacation trips. Well, unless I can somehow afford to keep my minivan, too. LOL. First thing's first: I have to sell my house so I can afford my RV. No, I won't be fulltiming in it; I'll be living w/ my fiancee in her house. BUT, she'll be joining me on my camping trips.

I hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the future. For now, I'll read as much info as I can. Thanks for creating this forum.

Current Project: Design Phase of a DIY "Sportsmobile" in Ford E-350 EB, to include: L-shaped sofa/bed, Storage cabinets, Sink, water heater, porta-potti, 2 AGM, solar, hydronic heat, attic fan, propane, portable frig...
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome Dave!

You may already know about the Sportsmobile Forum but if not, here's the link:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/

Having a custom built RV is something that I've always thought would be great.

Feel free to post anything here. Thanks for joining.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the welcome, Marko!

Yeah, I'm a member at the SMB Forum, and it's full of info specific to the Sportsmobiles. It's a valuable resource and I check there almost daily.

I hope to add to the SMB section here, once I finally get mine!

Current Project: Design Phase of a DIY "Sportsmobile" in Ford E-350 EB, to include: L-shaped sofa/bed, Storage cabinets, Sink, water heater, porta-potti, 2 AGM, solar, hydronic heat, attic fan, propane, portable frig...
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Congratulations Dave! I know you'll have a blast with your new B - waiting will be the tough part!

We also took a good hard look at Sportsmobile and really considered going that way. However, at that time (Summer 2004) it would have been an 8 month wait before they would even be able to start on our unit and we didn't want to wait, so we bought a Pleasureway off the lot.

We've really been happy with it, and even after 4 years and 65,000+ miles we're still having fun.

We'll all be looking forward to hearing more from you and to seeing pictures too!

Julie & Chino
Pine Island MinneSnowTa
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Yeah, I was surprised at their seemingly long wait times for a completed vehicle. I guess it all depends on whether they have a stock van on the lot, or if they need to order one. It also depends on how much "conversion" you get, and if you're getting 4x4 as well.

8 months would seem like an eternity, especially since I've been designing mine (and "chatting" w/ SMB-North) for a few months now already.... But a SMB is what I want, so i'll bear the wait if I must, just to get exactly what I want.

I also looked at Pleasureway, Roadtrek, Great West Vans, GTRV, and the Xplorers before leaning towards the SMB. With a design-your-own floor plan option, 6'-10" ceiling height in their Penthouse Top, and stealthy appearance, I was sold. This will be my daily driver most likely, too, so I don't want to drive a big "RV" around all the time. Plus it has to be versatile in being able to haul up to 6 people, sleep 5 (at times), AND have enough space for bikes, or even a big piece of furniture if I need to move something large.