Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertible View Post
Not trying to be difficult, but having owned a couple of B+'s that RVIA calls "C" I believe the easiest distinction is to think of the "C" as standing for "Cutaway Chassis". In other words, if the motorhome is built with a chassis that was a truck or van, and the back of the body (but not necessarily the frame/drivetrain) was cutaway right behind the cab before mounting the living coach portion, then it's a Class C in RVIA terms. My understanding is that RVIA does not recognize B+'s. They are just a class C regardless of not having the cabover bed. But for forums, RV searches, and magazines, the B+ vs C is a valid distinction. I think maybe the better label would have been a "C minus"
You are not being difficult at all. What you say is quite correct. My only quibble is that these days, many "C"s are made from OEM-ordered cab-only chassis, so no actual "cutting" is required. This is a minor detail, though.

It is those who keep insisting that "black" means "white" who are being difficult.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
Silver Member

Default So is my Roadtrek 210 a class B or class C ?

So is my Roadtrek 210 a class B or class C ? I have always assumed it was a class B, but the body has been removed behind the cab and replaced with a wider fiberglass body built by Roadtrek . According the previous definitions would it actually be a Class C ? I believe Roadtrek even refers to the 210 as a Class B. Although I really don't know why it would really matter.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
So is my Roadtrek 210 a class B or class C ? I have always assumed it was a class B, but the body has been removed behind the cab and replaced with a wider fiberglass body built by Roadtrek . According the previous definitions would it actually be a Class C ? I believe Roadtrek even refers to the 210 as a Class B. Although I really don't know why it would really matter.
It is a can of worm
Old 05-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
It is a can of worm
Yeah. The problem with the RT 210 is that it is a "C" by definition, but Roadtrek swears that it is a B (because they say that they are a "manufacturer of B vans", so it has to be one). Plus, it was designed to LOOK like a B at first glance.

Philosophers have argued about ontology since Plato.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #25
Platinum Member

The 210 is a Class B because it came from the factory as a van. Then Roadtrek went crazy and cut off nearly all the back body... except one of the original rear doors - and likely the floor. (never looked closely) It seems an odd way to get to what they wanted, but hey... it has given us a topic for discussion online for years.

And BTW... the first rig on my list below, the 2004 GWV Classic Supreme had a bed over the cab, but is/was clearly a true Class B.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
The 210 is a Class B because it came from the factory as a van. Then Roadtrek went crazy and cut off nearly all the back body.
OK, now I'm confused. Isn't that what "cutaway" means?
Old 05-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Maybe that is a true B+

or maybe a hybrid?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
OK, now I'm confused. Isn't that what "cutaway" means?
Well, technically, it started as a van and was modified significantly...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #29
Rok
Platinum Member

Wow, I lost my rather long message due to time-out. Here's the short version.

Thanks for the link to the video, Phoebe3, sorry others hijacked the thread to discuss B vs B+ vs C.

I really like videos that show new ideas that I might incorporate into the design of my next RV should I choose to build one myself.

Others: Under the RVIA definition, I guess all normally sized Sprinter Van conversions are not Class B since at 22' 9", they are over 21 feet. They are not really Class C's because they are built from a vehicle and the coach is not built. So what are they? Micro A's?

I would love if LTV or another B+ manufacturer would build a B+ with a large wet bath. Then I would have plenty of room to take a shower and also to take a ....er... "rest". Being a larger guy, I have a hard time taking a "rest" with my knees in my ears. I think that the B+'s are missing out on a nice feature for some buyers.

Anyway, Phoebe3, thanks again for the video!
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Yes that is a neat trick but you still have a wet bath situation in needing to squeegee down four walls and drying the shower area before restoring the use of your bathroom. What’s the gain? It still takes up a lot of space in a space precious van with sloped walls with the exception maybe with the back of the van bathrooms that kill the storage features provided by two massive van doors. We consider showers in a wet bath an opportunity to clean bathroom odors that manifest in a confined space. Cute but Roadtrek aisle shower people have avoided getting the toilet wet for years.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
I was checking out the models on the Wilderness web site. Man, there are some really cool floor plans and designs. I'd love if some of those models found there way to the States!
Basically they use a European Motorhome that is “ Australianized” in this case a copy of what we do in Australia.
There is a few Motorhome manufacturers in New Zealand, but Wilderness uses European imports
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Don't know if this is a Class B, but it doesn't have a bed over the cab...

Anyway, it's only 7 meters long. The bathroom is interesting and is shown starting about 5:30 into the video.

https://heathandalyssa.com/tour-wild...orhome-rental/
It is a Class C. There are Class B ‘s built on the Ducato. Microwaves are generally common on Motorhomes here and in New Zealand. I get the impression they are renting too Europeans who do not like too use them, they like cooking in Ovens://http://www.dovecamperconversions.com.au/product/fiat-ducato/
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Others: Under the RVIA definition, I guess all normally sized Sprinter Van conversions are not Class B since at 22' 9", they are over 21 feet. They are not really Class C's because they are built from a vehicle and the coach is not built. So what are they? Micro A's?
All Sprinters are Class B (unless a cab chassis). It is not the length, but the platform. The extended length Sprinters are still built within the van body that came from the factory.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote