Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default "Harry Potter bathroom magic" Wilderness motorhome

Don't know if this is a Class B, but it doesn't have a bed over the cab...

Anyway, it's only 7 meters long. The bathroom is interesting and is shown starting about 5:30 into the video.

https://heathandalyssa.com/tour-wild...orhome-rental/
Old 05-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I was checking out the models on the Wilderness web site. Man, there are some really cool floor plans and designs. I'd love if some of those models found there way to the States!
Old 05-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It is a Class C...

(BTW... my first true Class B... GWV... had a bed over the cab. That is NOT the deciding factor between a B and a C... it is platform)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #4
Platinum Member

That is a really cool compact Class C with a great floorplan. From New Zealand? Sorta reminds me of LTV.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #5

Difference Between Class B & Class C RVs | USA Today

This site says what most sites say - and what Winnie told me years ago - it’s the overhang, or the absence thereof.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I honestly posted this because I thought the bathroom could be used in a Class B, with apologies if I was using a Class C link to show it.

As long as no one minds using a Class C for demonstration purposes, I don't think it matters what this rig is.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bones View Post
Difference Between Class B & Class C RVs | USA Today

This site says what most sites say - and what Winnie told me years ago - it’s the overhang, or the absence thereof.
You misread it... not that it was written clearly. Besides, USA Today is not the decider of this question nor is the Winnie sales staff, it is the RVIA.

There is one deciding factor... the platform. A Class B is built within a van that came off the factory line as a van. A Class C is built on a cab chassis... or truck frame.

Very simple... and there are lots of older Class B's that have a bed over the cab which seemed to go out of fashion in the mid 00's. It has nothing to do with the Class...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

RVIA doesn’t list the class differences. I’ll refer you to Wikipedia, or a multitude of other sites that I queried. All define class c as having the over-cab extension, vs others not having it. No site says what you said. Small point - I’m not here to flame.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default it's the chassis

I've heard the same thing as mumkin: Class B, mfg from a full van from the factory. Class C, built on the so-called cab & cutaway chassis.

Here's a video from Neil over at Ultramobility explaining it...

dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bones View Post
RVIA doesn’t list the class differences. I’ll refer you to Wikipedia, or a multitude of other sites that I queried. All define class c as having the over-cab extension, vs others not having it. No site says what you said. Small point - I’m not here to flame.
This is simply not correct. The RVIA DOES define the three classes of motorhome, and it defines them as Mumkin states. It is true that recent versions of their website have been simplified as to omit these definitions, but that doesn't change them.

The RVIA definitions are as follows (emphases added):

Quote:
Type B Motorhome
Also commonly referred to as the van camper, the Type B motorhome is a cargo van that has been customized to include temporary sleeping, eating and bathroom facilities.

Size: 16 to 21 feet

Features:

The Type B is most economical, versatile and maneuverable of the motorized RVs. The van camper is easily loaded and readied for any travel occassion and doubles as a second family vehicle or as a carpool for commuters.
It is makes a fine towing vehicle and often used in tandem with a camping trailer -- especially with a trailer that is not equipped with full bathroom facilities.
The type B motorhome is narrower than other RVs because it utilizes the space within the existing van body. However, most are equipped with a raised roof, and sometimes dropped floors providing full stand-up room.
With their compact size and many amenities, van campers can provide comfortable living space and essentials for couples and young families.

Type C Motorhome
The type C motorhome, sometimes referred to as a mini-motorhome, provides the conveniences of a larger motorhome in a scaled-down version and at a lower price. The type C is built on an automotive manufactured van frame with an attached cab section.

Size: 20 to 28 feet

Features:

The type C motorhome usually provides a sleeping bunk atop the cab in addition to a bedroom in the back. When not in use, this overhead compartment can also be used as a storage area.
Generally smaller than the type A motorhome, the type C has ample living space and privacy. The unit is equipped with the full sleeping, kitchen, dining and bathroom facilities found in the conventional motorhome and needed for comfortable family living.
Another feature found on today's type C motorhomes is the slideout. At the touch of a button, the slideout moves a portion of the RVs exterior wall outward as much as 3 1/2 feet to enlarge the living, dining, sleeping or even kitchen area. When extended, the slideout protrudes beyond the normal outside walls of the RV, like an addition on a conventional home.
Like the type A motorhome, the type C is ideal for all-around family travel as the full living quarters, and all systems, are easily accessible and usable the entire time one is traveling. Passengers can enjoy reading, watching TV, snacking, playing video games or napping, and using the bathroom is readily available.

These definitions can be accessed at older versions of the website, available at the Internet Archive. The website has changed, the definitions have not.
Wikipedia has nothing to do with it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
This is simply not correct. The RVIA DOES define the three classes of motorhome, and it defines them as Mumkin states. It is true that recent versions of their website have been simplified as to omit these definitions, but that doesn't change them.

The RVIA definitions are as follows (emphases added):

Wikipedia has nothing to do with it.
avanti, I agree with the wikipedia thing, but it seems that the RVIA Has changed it's tune over the last decade or so, maybe longer. My wild guess is that it has become more 'accommodating' concerning their members that call a 35 foot rv a b+. I quote the RVIA:

"Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells."

go figure.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I quote the RVIA:

"Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells."
Yes, that is exactly right, and consistent with what Mumkin is saying. I believe "automotive" is intended to mean "manufactured using standard mass-produced automotive assembly techniques" (i.e., in an automotive factory). So, a B van is anything built inside an OEM van or panel-truck shell. I don't see any change. I have never seen the term "B+" used by RVIA. I think they are staying out of that fight.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes, that is exactly right, and consistent with what Mumkin is saying. I believe "automotive" is intended to mean "manufactured using standard mass-produced automotive assembly techniques" (i.e., in an automotive factory). So, a B van is anything built inside an OEM van or panel-truck shell. I don't see any change. I have never seen the term "B+" used by RVIA. I think they are staying out of that fight.
I agree that the RVIA is trying to stay "out of that fight". Seems that the b+ folks are gaining, from the beginning. Maybe there will be 40' b+'s.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Folks who call their RVs B+ are just B wannabes who can’t handle a true B and don’t want to admit it. I’m saying that in the voice of Jack Nicholson.

But for the point of discussion the many issues that come with Class Cs that don’t pertain to true van conversions are just clutter to me in the forum discussions and since Class Cs are overwhelmingly in the majority discussion would soon evolve to. Witness the Pleasure-way group on Facebook or Unity owners on Sprinter-source.com.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #15

Under the B description, there’s no mention of the cab-over.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #16

Regarding a cabover, it’s quite clear from the RVIA descriptions that a cabover is not figured into defining a class B versus a class C. I had a 1991 Intervec Falcon 190 class B with a cabover. Airstream and many other class Bs had them too. The major factor is whether the builder used the entire van shell (B) or only the front cab and bare chassis (C).
mikeebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The point that Heath & Alyssa wanted to bring is how more advanced those floorplans are compared to us .....incredible
here most of the time ,we still think big instead of efficiency

id like to know how the 2.3L TD was on gas ?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
Site Team

Defining a "C" as "having a cab-over" would be like defining a "B" as "having a wet-bath". Both statements are typically true, but they are obviously not definitional.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #19

We used call the rvs made with the bare chassis with cab as B+ (Where the rv maker created the rv body from scratch), but I understand that that term is no longer in favor. The class C defs all still all point to a “cab-over”.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #20

Not trying to be difficult, but having owned a couple of B+'s that RVIA calls "C" I believe the easiest distinction is to think of the "C" as standing for "Cutaway Chassis". In other words, if the motorhome is built with a chassis that was a truck or van, and the back of the body (but not necessarily the frame/drivetrain) was cutaway right behind the cab before mounting the living coach portion, then it's a Class C in RVIA terms. My understanding is that RVIA does not recognize B+'s. They are just a class C regardless of not having the cabover bed. But for forums, RV searches, and magazines, the B+ vs C is a valid distinction. I think maybe the better label would have been a "C minus"

Regards,
Gary Leskiw
Delta BC
2008 LTV Libero
Formerly 2002 Winnie Rialta
bertible is offline   Reply With Quote